Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Gary Allen TigerMoth

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Gary Allen TigerMoth

Old 08-17-2008, 11:35 AM
John La Belle
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gary Allen TigerMoth

Has anyone built or building Gary Allen Tiger Moth from model airplane news plans. what are the trouble spots how does it fly, is it rugged enough for everyday use, is the wing to center section mounting strong enough etc.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:53 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gary Allen TigerMoth

I have seen G Allen's plane and it is one of the best RC planes I have seen; I think there is a build thread on rc groups from another builder. It was flown in some pretty stiff winds so it seemed tough.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:08 PM
dorjes
My Feedback: (19)

There's a build thread on rc scalebuilder.com under "other designers" - M.A.N. Tiger Moth.

I'm Gary's pilot in Team Scale with the original Moth so I'm familiar with the plane. Gary has flown the plane for years and it's plenty tough enough for everyday use. The wing mounting system works fine. G45 for power. Great flyer , I think.

I'll email Gary and alert him to this thread.

Dorin Luck
Old 09-14-2008, 06:33 PM
flyer103

Hello,

Where would one go to buy a copy of the Gary Allen Tiger Moth plans? Is Model Airplane News still in business?

Thanks
Gene
[email protected]
Old 09-14-2008, 10:34 PM
vonJaerschky
My Feedback: (3)

http://www.rcstore.com , item# FSP0704A Enter that in the search field and you'll find it.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:40 PM
flyer103

Von,
Thanks!
Gene
Old 09-16-2008, 09:20 PM
gallen
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend to anyone thinking of building my Tiger Moth design to follow current thread in RCScalebuilder by Gaui. ([link]http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11467&PN=1&TPN=1). He is an outstanding craftsman and does a excellent job of documenting his efforts. I pointed out to him that there are a few errors in my plans. To wit:

Firstly, the shape of the cowl is a bit too wide and not tapered enough. While consistent with the original 3-views from which I based the plans, it is inconsistent with the photos of the original. I modified the 3-views based on many photos and actual measurements, and had them approved for scale competition by Dave Platt. I made a new cowl based on these 3-views using exactly the same contraction technique shown in the plans. I am happy to share the 3-views anyone who would like them. Send me a private message with your e-mail address and I will forward the file.

Secondly, the stabilizer incidence should be set at between +3 and +4 degrees relative to the center/thrust line. not 0 degrees as shown in the plan. This can be accomplished by reducing the height of the fuselage tail post. If this is not done, considerable down elevator trim will be required.

Thirdly, the wheels should be 5.5 inches, not 6.0 inches.

There are doubtless many other errors and/or omissions, but these are the ones of which I am aware.

Gary Allen
Old 07-20-2013, 11:25 AM
JimTN2009

Were there any other problems to the design after this date that you noticed? Would love to pay for page 3 of the plans.

Jim