Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

Old 02-05-2013, 03:35 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts
Default RE: AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

LOL
Old 02-05-2013, 05:14 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anthony,
What primer are you going to use over the Poly/C? I like your method of filling the weave, but worry about compatibility issues when it comes to primer/paint.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Gary,
I am going to use Dupli-Color primer over the polycrylic. I have used this on numerous build snd it adheres well to the polycrylic. Paint will not lift. I will also be spraying a light coat of KK primer before painting to assure I do not have any compatability issues with the paint. I will give a good sanding of the Dupli-Color primer before the KK primer and paint goes down.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 PM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: WacoNut
I am going to use Dupli-Color primer over the polycrylic.
Good, Dupli-Color is what I already use, good stuff...

Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 04:45 PM
WacoNut

Decided to work on the wing saddle and fiiberglass wing fairings.
This is one of those jobs I have been dreading. The wing saddle gets sheeted with 3/32 balsa. The sheeting then has to be trimmed and sanded back to accept the fiberglass wing fairing. This requires the center section to be mounted and removed multiple times until the fit is satisfactory. It took me about 2 hrs to complete one side. The fiberglass fairing needs a good sanding and primer before permenately mounting to the fuse. Once both sides are installed I then need to build in the bottom side to form the fairing for the bottom back side of the center section to the fiberglass fairings. It will most likely take me the rest of the week to complete the fairing work and then the fuse will be complete.

Here are a few pics of what I completed this evening.
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54237.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1848586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64068.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1848587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80845.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1848588  
Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 PM
WacoNut

I did make quite a few rivets last night. Once you get the hang of it they go pretty quick. I couldn't resist setting a few of them in place on the fuel tank to see how they look. I think I put all the rivets down once the self etching primer is on, what do you guys think? Should I wait until after the KK primer?
Later!!
Anthony

Name:	Hf99530.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1848597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41571.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1848598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86126.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1848599  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those look great Anthony!  You da man!

Sorry, I've been kinda out of it for a while.  Trying to get caught up on the 400 some odd posts I've missed!  Close enough!

Take care,
David
Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Anthony I would wait and put them down after you spray the KK primer for these reasons: one, the primer will give the rivet abetter bed for them to take hold in when you touch them with the iron, two, by appling them afterwards you won't get allthat paint build up around each rivet giving you a more pronounced rivet showing through the paint and three, if you have to do any sanding on the primer before the color coat you won't have to go around all those rivets...

They do look sweet and they're worth the work...keep it up.

p.s. never tried vanilla Coke before, sounds interesting.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:52 PM
WacoNut

Thanks VJ,
I will wait until after the KK primer is down.

That Vanilla Coke was the wife's, I dont drink sift drinks very often.

I am having a really tough time remoing the latex from the fiberglass parts so I picked up some stripper on the way home today. I tried sanding the latex down the best I could and shot a coat of primer over it and it just wrinkled right up. That means I will have to remove all the paint from the fiberglass parts and the cockpit coaming I had glued and stitched in place[:@]. Seems like nothing is ever easy with a scale plane.

Later!!
Anthony
Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deep breaths Anthony. It will be worth every second when it's flying across the big blue.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 PM
WacoNut

I know Robert,

I stripped the wing fairing and the tail fairing and they came out pretty good. Unfortunately it just hit me that I will need to strip all 4 aileron's[&o]. I think stripping all these items is going to move to the top of my to do list so I can see what I am in for. I am hoping I can strip the aileron's of paint without the corrugation strips coming off. That would be a nightmare and a half.

I will try an aileron out after dinner and see what happens. I am attaching a pic of the tail fairing, a little sanding and it will be ready for primer.
Later!!
Anthony

Name:	Ig11501.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1848958  
Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 PM
acerc

Anthony, if there is no plastic involved you can use heat to remove the latex. I have even used the oven before.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM
WacoNut

Robert,
The aileron corrugations are made with Plastistruct. I tried sanding and it is a no go. I tried the stripper and it did a good job of removing the latex but it softened the plastic and dislodged them from the aileron's. I don't see an easy way out of this mess. I will strip the aileron's of all the corrugations and get them sanded down smooth and start all over with new corrugations. It's only 272 pieces of plastic that need to be cut, ends sanded and bonded in place

There comes a point you just have to giggle. Looks like I will be placing an order for more plastic.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 02-06-2013, 06:17 PM
WacoNut

Just went and checked my order history with Tower on the plastic and I ordered 15 packs in 2010. I have 2.5 packs left over. Tower is out of stock on this item so I found it somewhere else and ordered 10 pks. Gives me plenty of time to get the aielron's ready for detailing again.

I also received an e-mail that my stitching order will ship tomorrow.

I have a club meeting tomorrow evening so no more work on the Waco until Friday evening.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anthony,

Things could be worse, we have an ice cube maker line leak in December ruining some new wood flooring and creating mold in some sheetrock. We are in the middle of the repair process and I'm tired of it. Hopefully it will be completed this weekend, snowbird visitors start arriving Sunday. Over $20,000 in repairs.

Anyway, I'm working on my Barth Waco and got some Polyfiber Lite today from Spruce. I have a rectangular test piece covered with it, but want to try it on a wing tip to see how it conforms. So far so good. Can you explain your technique for applying the Polyc? My main question is, what is a light coat? When you apply a coat, is the surface uniformly wet or are there some wet and dry looking areas if a light is shined across the surface? How deep into the Polyc do you dip your brush? Approximately how far can you brush before you have to reload the brush?

Also, how much fabric is needed to cover a third scale Waco?

Chuck
Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 PM
WacoNut

Hi Chuck,
You will like how the fabric goes around the tips. Better than any iron on covering by far.

When I apply the PolyC I use a 3" foam brush and I dip in in about 1/2". It takes a few strokes with the foam brush before the foam start really absorbing the PolyC. Follow my thinning suggestion: 1 cup PolyC and 1/2 cup of water. Use a plastic container with an air tight lid to keep your mixture in and keep the lid on tight after each coat. I also put my brush in a zip lock plastic bag to keep it from drying out. When you see the brush starting to shed some foam throw it out and grab another.
When brushing you want to evenly wet the fabric. The fabric will become very translucent when it is wet all the way thru. You do not want to put too much so that the PolyC pools on the inside of the fabric. I did not have this issue at all you just need to watch for it. If you see it happen then you are putting too much on. The fabric should have an even wet look. After the 1st coat you should not have to worry about it pooling on the inside.

Let your 1st coat dry to the touch and apply a 2nd coat. Let this coat dry at least 8 hrs. Give it a light sanding. Be very careful when an open bay meets sheeting as the edge will be very easy to sand thru. You are just looking to knock down any high imperfections and pop any air bubbles you may have had in the surface. To minimize air bubbles take long slow strokes and try not to lift the brush in the middle of the stroke. Brush from end to end. On the wings I brush from L/E to T/E and the fuse I brush front to back and vise versa.

I applied 3 coats sanding after the 2nd and 3rd coat then applied stitching and tapes as necessary. I then apply 2 more coats and sand then 2 final coats and sand. You can get more egressive with the final sanding but you still need to watch sanding at edges.

BTW: If you start sanding and it appears to be gummy then it is not dry enough. You should get a fine white dust while sanding the Polycrylic.

If you have any more questions just ask.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Anthony,

Thanks, that helps a lot. One last question, is one, slow, continuous stroke usually sufficient to give the coverage or does it take several?

BTW, how much fabric is needed to cover a third scale Waco?

Chuck
Old 02-07-2013, 02:45 AM
WacoNut

Chuck,
I ordered 10yds of the Poly-Fiber lite and I did cover a few pieces with stuff I had left over from other builds but I have more fabric left over then the pieces I used. 10yds should be sufficient.

You will want to brush back and forth a couple times on the same area to assure even coverage. You will see it doesn't take long to get the hang of it. The thinned out polycrylic will level out very nice. If you do see a run starting to develop just brush back over it a couple of times and spread out the polycrylic a little.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 AM
jkpape

Stop off at an autoparts store and buy some stripper for stripping paint from plastic parts. It comes in a spray can.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:02 PM
WacoNut

ORIGINAL: jkpape

Stop off at an autoparts store and buy some stripper for stripping paint from plastic parts. It comes in a spray can.
Thanks for the tip,
I stopped at 2 auto parts stores on the way home and they didn't have anything. I have already stripped one aileron of all the plastic and have all new ordered so to keep everything equal on the plane all 4 aileron's will be stripped and new detail applied.

Going to work on stripping the boot cowl and hood tonight.
Anthony
Old 02-08-2013, 06:31 PM
WacoNut

I now have all the fiberglass parts stripped. The cabane wires and the bottom center section will also need stripped.

I will be putting full days into the Waco again this weekend so hopefully I have all the wing saddle completed and all the fiberglass parts primered and leveled back out by the end of the weekend. I also intend to get the aileron's stripped sanded and primered as well.

I will post some pics tomorrow once I start making some progress.
later!!
Anthony
Old 02-09-2013, 12:06 PM
WacoNut

Not much to show right now.
Been spraying high fill primer and sanding and applying spot putty. The tail and wing fairing should have their last coat of primer. Will give them a good sanding once dry.
I added the balsa to the other side of the wing saddle and have the fiberglass fairing fitted, Once I am assured I have the fairings leveled out for paint I will permenatley mount the fairings. I also prepped all the screws for the fairings by spraying them with a coat of self etching primer.

The top wing center section has been primed and sanded. It has also been masked off and the fuel tank sprayed with self etching primer.

Don't know if I have mentioned it lately I HATE SANDING
Later!!
Anthony
Old 02-09-2013, 12:36 PM
acerc

Sounds like a lot to show to me! It may only be primer but it's still something.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 PM
WacoNut

I just unmasked the fuel tank and it turned out good.

Nothing like waiting for primer and paint to dry.

Name:	Rp44464.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1849993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73897.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1849994  
Old 02-09-2013, 12:40 PM
acerc

Gives me goose bump's. Real nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.