Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

gee bee

Old 05-29-2003, 12:01 AM
violinman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gee bee

Does anyone have an idea where to get 3-views for a gee bee z? I would like to get them off the internet or free somehow. are the 3-views that come with plastic models accurate? Thanks for your input
Old 05-29-2003, 02:20 AM
Ed

Default gee bee

You might try starting here > http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...15/index3.html
Old 05-29-2003, 08:52 PM
violinman

Default gee bee

Yes, I have seen that site before. It is very good but there are no 3-views of the gee bee z on it. Iam looking for accurate 3-views now because of the demensions of the original plane on that site. When I converted those measurements to 1/5th scale i got this: wing span- 56.4 inches
overall lenght- 36 inches

I had considered getting an Adrian Page gee bee z but his wingspan is 57 inches and he states the lenght to be 34 inches on his website. This does not seem to be very close to scale. What do you guys think? What would be the purpose of making the fuselage shorter than original?
Old 05-29-2003, 10:48 PM
Ed

Default gee bee

Originally posted by violinman
Iam looking for accurate 3-views now because of the demensions of the original plane on that site. When I converted those measurements to 1/5th scale i got this: wing span- 56.4 inches, overall lenght- 36 inches

I had considered getting an Adrian Page gee bee z but his wingspan is 57 inches and he states the lenght to be 34 inches on his website. This does not seem to be very close to scale. What do you guys think? What would be the purpose of making the fuselage shorter than original?
I guess it all comes down to what you are trying to acheive ? I understand that he produces a very fine kit. Why don't you just go to his website, and ask him ?
Old 05-30-2003, 04:09 PM
BykrDan

Default gee bee

Originally posted by violinman
Yes, I have seen that site before. It is very good but there are no 3-views of the gee bee z on it. Iam looking for accurate 3-views now because of the demensions of the original plane on that site. When I converted those measurements to 1/5th scale i got this: wing span- 56.4 inches
overall lenght- 36 inches

I'm just now covering my "Z" from Page's plans. Yes, I think the wings may be a little longer or thinner than scale, but not so much that it noticably detracts from the plane's scale appearance. Overall, I've found the plans to be great. I can only imagine that the wings may have been lengthened to make the plane fly slower, or fly at all.

Try this link - down the page somewhat is a 3-view of both the airplane (a 1/32 scale Williams Bros plastic kit) and even the decal sheet, which I think you'll find useful. I've found both to be an excellent resource.

http://www.flinstone.it/gbdaronco.htm

Have fun - I'm always happy to hear of someone building a GeeBee.

Dan.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:33 PM
violinman

Default gee bee

I am sure that the Page gee bee z is a very fine kit. Iam also aware of the fact that it is a sport scale plane. I still would like to build one Iam just trying to figure out how much I would be changing in order to make it more scale.

Bykrdan, Thanks for the link! I actually thought about buying the williams brothers plastic kit in order to blow up the 3-views to 1/5 scale. Does anyone know how this plastic model may have been designed? It most likely designed from a reproduction of the original gee bee z that crashed, right? I have read that of the few reproductions that there are thay all differ in proportions a little. Thanks for your help
Old 05-30-2003, 09:32 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gee bee

I have heard the Vern Clement's plans and drawings are the most accurate when it comes to the Gee Bee Aircraft. You can reach him at:
Antique Airplane Plans
308 Palo Alto Dr.
Caldwell, ID 83605
(208)459-7608
They have been supposedly checked by Howell Miller for accuracy.
Here's a couple of links that may help:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...4515/gbook.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/badnewsracing/gbzpage.html
Old 05-30-2003, 11:53 PM
Adrian Page

Default gee bee

My Z kit is actually a shade under 1/5th scale. It's 1/5.4 or so. My web site explains the deviations from scale which are in the wing and wing fillet. The wing is thicker than the real planes mostly for structural reasons. A scale thickness would likely need functional wire bracing.
The fuselage is very accurate and was taken from photos of the 1931 original not from someone elses 3 views. The plan shows the correct wing and fillet details for those who are interested in making them scale.

Adrian
Old 05-31-2003, 03:11 AM
Gee Bee D

Default gee bee

Vern's drawings of the Gee Bee Z are the MOST ACCURATE that is to be had. Baring someone coming up with original Granville drawings.

Two replica Model Z's have been built, the first by Bill Turner and the second by Kevin Kimball and Jeff Eiker. Turners machine is more of a stand off scale airplane while the Kimball/Eiker machine is as close as anyone can come to the original without the use of a time machine. I was lucky enough to watch this aircraft being built and was on hand for it's first flight. It is now owned by Kermit Weeks and is being shown in his museum. To my knowledge neither one has been crashed.

The Model Z was designed by Bob Hall as was all of the Gee Bee's prior to the R-1 with the exception of the Model A biplane. I'm almost certain the Z was destroyed before Howell Miller began with the Granville's. Howell or Pete was responsible for the R-1, R-2, R-1/2 hybrid, and the QED. Hall left the Granville's and built the Cicada and the Bulldog.

Again contact Vern as Terry said, I don't have a current listing, but the prices are VERY reasonable for what you get. If you get the large 1/3 scale set (I think) you'll need to pull the cars out of the garage to have enough floor space to view them all. He also has them much smaller.

Al
Old 06-01-2003, 04:30 PM
violinman

Default gee bee

Hello everyone, Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post! TLH101: That second link that you posted was very interesting. That plane is too large for me though. I would like to have a super detailed .40 size plane.

Adrian Page: Thanks for explaning the plans, This helps alot. I really love the gee bee Z I guess, and the history behind it.

It sounds like I will be looking into those plans from Vern also. Thanks guys!
Old 06-02-2003, 12:20 PM
Adrian Page

Default gee bee

Violinman,

Give the AMA magazine people a call and order plan #282. Also see if they can send you a back issue from December of 1979. This is the most detailed Z in 40 size that you will find. It was built by Granger Williams of Williams Bros. fame. Granger used the plans from Vern Clements control line version and converted them to R/C use. The plane has a scale airfoil, functional landing gear suspension, screw jack adjustable stab incidence, functional flying and landing wires....In short it is a work of art and a museum piece that flies.( the model in the article now resides in the Springfild Air Museum) The plans were cheap...like $12 bucks or so.

Adrian
Old 06-03-2003, 02:35 AM
violinman

Default Thank you

Thanks for the info on that gee bee model. Is there a picture of it somewhere? Iam going to be away from home for a couple days so thanks to everyone for answering my question!