Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
lets see that "scale" exhaust, anybody!! >

lets see that "scale" exhaust, anybody!!

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

lets see that "scale" exhaust, anybody!!

Old 04-03-2002, 07:19 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lets see that "scale" exhaust, anybody!!

I found these headers for "smaller" scale tight-cowl exhausts at Tower. Top Flight has these for OS and SuperTigre - but I need one for my K&B .61.

Anybody know where else to get stuff like this? If you can't open the link, It's a header that goes straight back from the side-exhaust with almost no radius. Keeps the pipe tight in to the engine. Wondering where else I might get this. I have a question into Mac's via e-mail. I guess I could always modify one meant for an ST.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXHY78&P=0
Old 04-03-2002, 07:31 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default header

MODIFY it, heck, make one, know a welder?????
Old 04-03-2002, 07:44 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default huh

Whataya want me to actually think or somethin?

I know they can't be that hard to actually make. It's figuring out how to do it and getting the right materials. OTOH, it looks like I can buy the one tower makes for the ST and modify it by drilling one hole. I'd still like to hear of any good aftermarket mfr's for stuff like this.

I'll probably be piping this into a mouse can muffler of some type. There was a "How to make a concealed muffler" in MAN July 99. Anybody have this that might be able to fax me a copy?? I just cleared out my "older than a year" mags not too long ago.

I've found the web sites for making 40 sized ones, but I would like some guidelines on a 60 sized tuned mouse can muffler. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:46 PM

Not sure if yall are still looking for a way to bind pipe/tubing ...but i am a welder and i have bent all kinds of pipe in very tight radius's ... im not saying its easy but a little practise it can be done ....If anyone realy interested i will post it on here, it might sound a little crazy but it orks ... i have been thinking of something to make and sale for modelers maybe scale exaust would be a good thing ....
Old 06-24-2003, 02:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Scale exhaust

iflewbayou, If you could explain your method I would appreciate it. BobH.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default bending method

I would be interested iun your method too

Joe
Old 06-24-2003, 03:20 PM

Great, Not sure what size pipe/tubing your using but its all about the same .... Take a piece a foot or too long because your going to need some "leverage" ....cap one end off by welding or a good tight plug ...then you pack you pipe with sand as tight as you can ....(make sure its dry sand) ... tap the pipe on a table to pack it good ..... leave about an inch plu from the top for the next step.....on the other end ball some paper up and cram it in the pipe with a stiff rod (the key here is to make the pipe as if were solid) ....now your piece is ready for bending,,, you will need a metal object for a die to bend your piece around ...tack weld you die to a table and clamp your work piece up to it on the side your metal plug is ... now you will need a torch to start heating up your work peice keeping a little preasure on the other end not to much ... and dont move your heat to far forward when you start you have to go slow ,,, (TAKE YOUR TIME) ....... i know this sounds like a long shot or kinda crazy but it works ,,,, I have bent 1 1/2 inch pipe the size of a butter bowl ... and smaller tubing around a nickle .....i hope this helps ..... if one of yall can tell me what size tubing/pipe you will be using ...the inside radius and a pic of what your wanting i will do it and take some pics as i go along .... I am just geting into "WARBIRDS" and i hope to do this on one of mine....
Old 06-24-2003, 04:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default scale exhaust

iflewbayou. that sounds like a reasonable method of bending pipe with out distorting the shape. The sand keeps the diameter of the pipe from flatening.. pretty neat!!.. that war bird are you planning on building?... BobH.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:05 PM

I am in the process of finishing a Do335 (blown up plans from Al Masters) ws: 81" ...I got it from a freaind that started it just going to get it in the air is my goal on it ....Next is a spitfire "Brian Taylor plans" ... and then Im building a Lysander a big one ....''''If you know some one that can make you a die with a radius on the O.D for you to bend around it helps .. but you dont have to have it ....it just takes time and dont get it to hot to where the metal starts to give .....Its the same way they bend big pipe ( like 10 inch up to 4 foot) except they use a plug that slides out as they bend ... tried to make a small bender like that but it just dont work like the sand ....
Old 06-24-2003, 05:19 PM

iflewbayou's fill-with-sand trick to keep the tubing from collapsing works very well.

Another method I've used is using a metal electrical conduit bender. It works with 1/2" steel tubing (and 3/4" aluminum tubing) and bends to about a 5-6" radius. I figure that if you need a tighter radius you can finish it up with the sand trick after making the initial bend with the bender.

I'm building a 1:6 deHavilland Beaver which has a radial engine and an exhaust pipe that extends down from the engine and 10-12" back under the fuse. A 3/4" pipe is scale and aluminum is easily worked. The engine is an OS FT120 and two flex pipes will lead to the exhaust pipe, which will also serve as a resonator.

I've not fabricated the finished exhaust yet, but a mockup of this exhaust on the test stand sounds wonderful!
--Bill
Old 06-24-2003, 11:43 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Default hellcat exhaust

I built these from copper and now have a steal header instead of this Bennit muffler. Thanks Todd
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	89067_9974.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	4522  
Old 06-24-2003, 11:45 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Default Hellcat Exhaust

One more...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	89068_9974.jpg