Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Bristol Brisfit -Flair kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Bristol Brisfit -Flair kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Hurri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bristol Brisfit -Flair kit

I am building a flair kit of the Bristol F2B . a nice kit , question if anyone familar with the kit ? I have put an OS 91 4/s in it , the eng; is so far fwd on the bearers because of the different type cowl & had to cut loads of formers to get it in . the strange thing to me is that there is a box made for the fuel tank to fit in which is a n 8 oz , a way too small for a 91 4/s , so have put in a 10 oz tank . however the box/tank position is so far back from the eng;= 3" from back of eng; [carb]= can't see the carb pulling the fuel up that far away , do have a pump, could use . BUT why is the tank so far back ?other query is the outlet for the air , they suggest 23/4 " diam holes on sides at back of cowl , not enough I think !
as the eng; sits upright will be tricky to direct the air to the normal outlet spot bottom of cowl at back . thoughts please anyone .
Old 11-25-2008, 08:25 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bristol Brisfit -Flair kit

I can't offer any suggestions, but I sure would like to see some photos of the build! I've been thinking of doing Flair's F2B for a while now. I do have a pdf from one of the German-language model magazines that shows some photos of the engine layout on a build with a functional scale exhaust system added to the engine. According to the article, the builder used a Magnum 91.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Hurri

Thanks for reply . Guess one could make up the real exhausts to do it . Didn't really want to get into too complicated method , See too that those exhaust pipes go into a single outlet end -lots of back pressure? & a nice burn area around the exit on to the canvas side ? Just looking at the full size pics of it , see at the back of cowl 2 fairly big slot shaped outlets . also looks like a smaller one at the top of the cowl at back . thats looking at the starb; side pic I have . maybe those together might be enough ? Will try in the morning to get a couple of pics of the fuse so far , thanks
Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Hurri

had another thought -amazing that once one starts talking about a problem then one starts to get some other ideas !!!! thought was that -where the exhaust 6 pipes are under a plastic[on the model] shroud , why not cheat under there & have lots of space around the dummy pipes , it might be under there & not noticed to look at , but would let the air out ?
Worth looking into .
Old 11-25-2008, 08:45 PM
abufletcher

If you give me your email, I can send you the pdf of the German article. The text doesn't mention anything about the engine cooling issue or tank size but the pictures might be interesting.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Hurri

Thanks . e/ml address is [email protected]
Old 01-30-2009, 09:08 PM
watt_the!

ORIGINAL: Hurri

I am building a flair kit of the Bristol F2B . a nice kit , question if anyone familar with the kit ? I have put an OS 91 4/s in it , the eng; is so far fwd on the bearers because of the different type cowl & had to cut loads of formers to get it in . the strange thing to me is that there is a box made for the fuel tank to fit in which is a n 8 oz , a way too small for a 91 4/s , so have put in a 10 oz tank . however the box/tank position is so far back from the eng;= 3" from back of eng; [carb]= can't see the carb pulling the fuel up that far away , do have a pump, could use . BUT why is the tank so far back ?other query is the outlet for the air , they suggest 23/4 " diam holes on sides at back of cowl , not enough I think !
as the eng; sits upright will be tricky to direct the air to the normal outlet spot bottom of cowl at back . thoughts please anyone .
can you please tell me where i can get this kit?

Old 01-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Hurri

Good question . I done a swap with a guy for mine . believe there is a store in US someplace . Will see if i can locate for you , Hurri
Old 01-31-2009, 04:16 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For US, this is the source:

http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/?shop=...303797&cat=150

But from Australia I'd think you might as well order from the UK, if you have no distributor.

I got to see the Shuttleworth plane fly - quite a sight! This looks like a great model, and it is one Flair seems to have to done quite accurately, as opposed to their many "sport-scale" types.

Jim
Old 01-31-2009, 05:47 PM
watt_the!

woah.. $385!!..not cheap.

any info on the plan offered via cleveland models?
Old 01-31-2009, 11:39 PM
TFF

Cleveland plans are old plans for rubber powered planes sized at different scales. Old as in the real planes were still around when they were drawn. I think My Albatros DVa was drawn in 1938. They are not RC plans. Now with that said, If you can fill in the RC bits they can be an OK starting place. My Albi plans compared to the Smithsonian restoration book is not far off; they are the platinum series. I bought the Spad XIII plans too; they are the gold series and are more sport scale with a more simplified structure. They have been running the same ad sense I was a kid in the 70s and I know it was old then. Their target audience is dyeing off and I think they dont think newcomers know anything about them. Most are bought to relive youth not to build a FAI champion. I am happy with the Platinum ones that I would get them again.