Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Painting ..where to start?

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Painting ..where to start?

Old 06-02-2003, 02:45 PM
rogers259

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting ..where to start?

Well im still in the planning stages of My Lockheed Altair but Im starting to look at painting the plane. The original was fabric covered and then sprayed. Consolidated Blue(FS25053) and Silver(FS17178) are the main colors.

So i guess my question is what do I use to cover this plane with and what paints should I use? What does everyone prefer? What is gona come out looking the most scale (ie matching colors etc)?? What different paints are out there and available? I need something thats gona be easily attainable I dont want to waite 6 months because its backordered.

Thnks
Matt
Old 06-02-2003, 03:01 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default paints

There are all kinds of paints that you can use. Some people like using the Latex paints that you can buy from Sherwin Williams, Home depot.. etc. These are cheap and available. You can take your color match of the FS # and have them mix the paints for you. After you spray the latex (thinned with windshield washer fluid) clear coat it with Nelson's water based clear.
Others use PPG paints. They are very durable and available at most automotive paint supply stores. They are two part paints and can be mixed to your needed colors. There are other automotive paints as well. Very similar to ppg with different near the same qualities.
KB epoxies are not available but were excellent paints
Sig or Randolph dopes are excellent paints but require a little getting used to. Dopes provide some of the lightest finishes available. Its is/was a standard in the Aircraft industry since the beginning. Other types such as offered by Stitts are polyu type of paints and also offer many color choices and are very durable too..
As you can see there are many chioces... The automotive paints like Emron or or like paints. You would/should use a respirator when spraying those.
I have used most types of paints with sucess. The secret to painting is in the Preperation of the surface!.. filling all the dings and sanding smooth BEFORE painting. Paint will NOT hide blemishes. Hope this helps BobH.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:12 PM
briankenney91
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting ..where to start?

Automotive paint if you want show quality results, PPG or Valspar are 2 good ones.