Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

which engine for fiesler storch 1/6

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

which engine for fiesler storch 1/6

Old 06-02-2003, 04:14 PM
Philippe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which engine for fiesler storch 1/6

I'm starting to build a s1/6 storch with elite plan. but I don't know what kind of engine tu put
G 20/23
OS 91 FX
an other one?

if somebody have informations it would be nice

sorry for my english

philippe
Old 06-03-2003, 04:23 AM
JET FX

Default storch

My Storch is now 21 years old and built from the Svenson kit 96" span. AUW 12#
The Storch is a real pilots airplane to master, and if really flying it as it was fully intended you will want to have true Short Take Off Landing capability you must have a 110% seriously reliable engine with power to spare, four strokes sound perfect so I use a Y.S. 91 and 16x6 prop combo that performs extremely well flying the Storch, especially being in the inverted engine installation. You will have no regrets if you choose Y.S.
I have also flown my Storch with an O.S.91 FS, Enya 90 four stroke and a O.S.61 gear drive (remember them? : ) I never previously had the confidence in engine reliability to fully experiment with my Storchs STOL flying ability until flew the Y.S. and found the instant and perfect throttle transition from prolonged idling to full throttle this four stroke delivers. I would go with a Y.S. 120 or 140 if you want more H.P.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	83404_2542.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	48994  
Old 06-03-2003, 05:02 AM
Philippe

Default yes but dimensions

I have 3 OS four stroke and I like them but the problem with the storch is the dimension of the cowl.
Because with a OS 120 FS the engine is 26mm too high to enter the cowl, the 91 FS is 11mm too high.
And I want to make a beautiful scale plane then the 120 is not good and the 91 is a possibility.
I m looking for a saito 91 because they are more compact but I don't know if I can find them in France
Yamada is a good engine but I think that they use too much nitro
Enya is impossible to find here
a 2 stroke egine can enter in my cowl but I don't like 2 stroke and they turn a "hélice" (I don't know the english word) too small

That's why I don't know

philippe
Old 06-03-2003, 05:41 AM
JET FX

Default Laser

Philippe- You might find Laser four stroke engines worth considering as they have a very low profile...
Old 06-03-2003, 06:51 AM
Scalebuff

RCV?

they have to be the best in regards to size, exspensive though..
Old 06-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Philippe

thanks for yours answers.

Problems :
- Laser is hard to find in France but I'm going to search dimensions and Maybe...
- RCV is interesting for the dimensions but the rotating cylinder around the piston is strange. and I think that it's going to shorter life time of the engine. (What do you think about that?)

philippe
Old 06-03-2003, 05:41 PM
Scalebuff

i own all the sp series RCV engines 2 of wich are flying..

the .120 has got more flight time on it 747 and still runs like a dream just gets better...

i would say th only thing that i would class as a draw back is that they are slightly noisier than your average 4 stroke due to all the gears rapped up in there....

if you do go the RCV way i would recomend you use the REAR starting plug instead of starting from the front, i hear it puts unwanted strain on the internals of the engine, although i would rather use the rear anyways, its much easyer and safer...

good luck and let us now how you get on..
Old 06-03-2003, 06:03 PM
heavy date-RCU

RCV also now has the standard style 4 stroke engines in a L shape. They still use the rotating cylinder, but they are no larger than a standard 2 stroke. I think they are called the CD series.'

Hans
Old 06-03-2003, 07:29 PM
JET FX

Default RCV 120

Gizz - I also have a RCV 120, but I have not even run the engine as yet and it maybe just perfect to go in the Storch. What sort of vibration levels are you experiencing with the RCV 120 at lower RPM with the big props? what size props? and the AUW and type of the model with the RCV 120 installed?

Cheers-
Old 06-03-2003, 07:34 PM
Philippe

standard RCV don't work because the distance between the crankshaft and the top of the cowl is too short.
And in France the CD series isavailable only for the 58

But I find dimensions of the laser 120, and it's perfect. the only problem is the price but nothing is free.
Thanks for the information Ozcan !

For the RCV lifetime I continue to find this strange because I always eared that piston must to be mount in the same side they was before. And the metal joint (don't know english word) have to be stoped in rotation to have good performance. and all that is false in RCV.
could you explain me too where is and how work the glow plug on a RCV ?

philippe
Old 06-04-2003, 12:18 AM
Scalebuff

I have the .120 in a spit, looks very good as its all cowled in, as for the prop im running a 24x10 on the .120... and getting around 4400 RPM but i havent realy pushed her to the limit, idle i get about 900 RPM i have clocked the spit at well over 100mph on the strait, and as i say i dont PUSH her to far.. that speed is more than enough for any spit in my book

i have had people say they have had a lot of viabration with these but i haven't experianced any what so ever, a little louder than your normal 4 stroke but thats about it....

im also running the .90 in my scratch built hurricane, the 90 gave me some trouble in the break in stage but after i got her broke in she runs grate, on the .90 is swinging 16`5 X 14 3 blade .., had a few cooling probs with this one but i had messed up my cooling ducts some how, but after i fixed that its grate....

the .60 is in its box right now i have run her in but she is waiting for a home (maybe ill drop it in my stuka if and when i finish it)..

i find the fuel is the most important thing with RCV's, i had a hell of a game running mine up when i first got it, but i rand them up and they were very helpfull and gave me a few tips i now use 10% nitro, 16% oil....

these engines just get better and better the more u fly em ...

let us now how u get on with the running in ozcan and BTW stock up on glow plugs, i got through a shop of them while breaking mine in
Old 06-04-2003, 02:53 AM
JET FX

Default RCV

Gizz- Did you run the O.S. 4 stroke plugs? also what brand props glass or wood? I also originally intended the RCV 120 for my BT 70" Spitfire XIX, what size/weight Spit are you flying your RCV 120 in....

Cheers-
Old 06-04-2003, 10:22 AM
Scalebuff

hello again ozcan

i only use APC props now, i have had some nasty expiriances with wooden props in my time, they throw blades like a rose throws petles

as for the plugs, yes i just use standard O.S plugs, have had no trouble with them after the breakin period

The spit is scaled up mick reeves plans....

75" WS spring air retracts, flaps, operational air ducts and exhaust sytems, im also thinking of adding my own smoke sytem at a latter date (should be fun

i weighed her in on the maiden flight 4 years ago and came out just over 12 pounds ready to fly, she may weigh a little more now as i had to do a repair on the nose when (1st set) of mechanical retracts decided to fold on me

we have estimated that she comes in at around 15MPH on landing (a real handfull) without flaps deployed so i was lucky to get away with a nose job

your BT spit would be a grate choice, with more than enough power, i find i only need to give it that "bit extra" on take off, just feed it in slow adding more rudder as you go, mine flight awsome with no real nasty suprises...

on the break in it will be VERY NOISY! lol i was shocked but after time it will setle down a lot, still noisy but in a warbird it looks and SOUNDS awsome!...

i only fly the spit now and again in fear of bringing it home in a plastic bag but when its at the field everyone loves it, a fellow member has the BT 109, so we put on a bit of a show for the crowd then we bottle out and bring them in LOL....

let us now how you get on..

Philippe------------>

What do you think of the elite storch????? my dad is into old times (the slooooooooooooow stuff) but has always wanted a fiesler storch, what are your comments on the plans?

tnx for the info
Old 06-04-2003, 03:23 PM
Philippe

what I think of the Elite Storch: it'sbeautiful plans to make a scale storch but its not for beginners. some parts are hidden and not completely defined. others parts are hard too made. But It look really good. Almost all wood is made from 3mm balsa. it's probably light at the end.
problems I detect : too little fuel tank, hard acces to radio
I like metric dimensions for a french like me it was a good surprise I don't know if your father think the same. (do you know why an american plan have metric dimensions?)

did he think the same? idd he detect others problems?

philippe
Old 06-04-2003, 03:53 PM
Scalebuff

thank you Philippe for your input

i may try and get hold of a set of plans for the storch, i would love to build one (and fly one)....

may father has not yet got a storch so i canot help you there, but a friend of ours had a small one and the radio area is very cramped to say the least....

does the elite plans have flaps/airbrakes ??, on a model that size i would have thought so but thought i would ask anyway

good luck with the build
Old 06-04-2003, 07:54 PM
Philippe

Yes elite plans have all : flaps, aileron, trim, diferent position light every thing, it's really complete

what engine your father want to put inside?

philippe
Old 06-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Scalebuff

around a .60 would be nice, nothing to big
Old 06-06-2003, 12:31 AM
JET FX

Default Avomodelli

This Storch kit also looks interesting- http://internet-rc.com/internet-rc/fiesstorfi1b.html
If you want a good quality kit to build this one might be an option, although a bit of kit bashing may be in order to make this Storch more scale in appearance e.g. wing should have zero dihedral...

I have built the Avomodelli Bipe Special and can vouch for the high quality standard of kits from this manufacturer...

Name:	84174_2542.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	48995  
Old 06-06-2003, 12:47 AM
JET FX

Default more....

Heres another pic of my Svenson Storch-

Name:	84181_2542.jpg