Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
 New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf >

New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Old 05-23-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

ORIGINAL: booker-RCU

I did get the tracking number. USPS is very vague somtimes. But I should get them tomorrow.
Have you looked at this? I've used it on a couple of models and it works great.
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/WRCTWINSYNC.html

Thanks... I've seen these before, but never thought about them on this plane.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:36 PM
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the ESC's today. EXCELLENT!!! Thanks. I ran them for a few minutes and can tell I need the larger wires for hooking up to the batteries.
Thanks again

Galen

Old 05-24-2010, 05:46 PM

Great!

Yep, those 14 guage wires will melt the insulation right off if you keep it running for just a minute or so. I went to a 10 guage hi-temp coated wire... about $4 per foot, but it stays cool.

In a perfect world, you'd have the battery closer to the ESC and motor, and this wouldn't be so much of a problem, but with this twin setup, you just have to use heavier wire..... or go to gas!

Has anyone actually finished an electric model and weighed it with batteries? I'd be interested to see what an RTF Baron weighs.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:10 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Group,
I went to 50cc and am building a Beech D-18 Ziroli..
May sell my Baron. I have installed all control surfaces, installed servos in wing and for flaps. Windows installed.
No gear installed and have not bought gear.
If interested PM me.
Will sell for price of kit plus cost of servos and shipping to buyer.
Selling because I just dont think I will get back to building it for a while and spent a fortune on my 50 cc Carf...
Doug
Old 05-29-2010, 12:19 AM

Which Carf did you get? I used to have the 2.2 yak, pretty good flyer.

I got the motors dialed in this week, I hope. They're transitioning up and down very smoothly, idling about 2000 RPM and spinning up to about 8900.

I decided to go with 12x8 props instead of the 13x6. A little more bite, a litte less speed. We'll see.

Here's a few pictures. I still need to install 1 more air line from the tank to the nose cone, for filling. Also need to install the gear doors. Other than that, I think I'm about done.

I never expected it to take this long, but there were extended periods where I didn't touch it, or I was waiting on one part or another to arrive. All together, I guess I've probably put maybe 20 hours into it, I hope I can fly it that many hours too!

I weighed it again tonight... with the props, spinners, air system, etc.. installed, we're very close to 16 pounds without fuel. There's plenty of motor for 16 pounds, I just hope there's enough lift in the wings to get it off the ground, then get it back down without having to land at 40 MPH.

Here's a few pics. The windows are installed, but I still need to glue the doors on... they're taped on in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18751.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1444306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85132.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1444307  
Old 05-29-2010, 05:12 PM

Hey Reyn,
Got the 2.1 Extra 300 .. Its ready to fly but I am waiting for help.. dont want to take it up without help even though I am a good pilot.
It really looks good but the Carf takes quite a bit of work even though its an ARF..
Your Baron is looking good.. cant wait to see how if fly's.. I am not too serious about selling mine now but if someone wants may part with it and do the King next year..
I love my D-18 by Ziroli.. gonna be expensive with radial engines.
Keep us postd on the Baron..
Doug
Old 05-29-2010, 05:43 PM

Thanks. I'm apparently still fighting engine problems. The left one runs like a dream, but now the right one is a little rough at idle, requiring a higher idle to run. I didn't really have time to focus on it today, but I have to get these things smoothed out before I consider flying it.

The left one probably has at least 30 minutes more break-in time on it, so maybe I just need to let the right one run for a good while before I start turning screws.

I've tuned a lot fo gas motors before, none as touchy as these... but I think they'll have great power for their size, once they get dialed in.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:50 PM

Played around with the motors again this afternoon. Seems like one is always acting up. I am running both motors off of the same 2-cell lipo battery, so I wonder if I may be getting some interference through the battery? I'll seperate them and use 2 switches. If that doesn't work, I'll wind up buying a Twin-Sync and going that route. I've been $100'd to death (not unlike any other plane you build), and I'd like to get these two motors matched up as much as possible with just throttle curves. to install the Twin Sync. I'd have to remove the motors and nacelles again, not really looking forward to that again.

Anyway, here's a few pictures of my 3-bladed toys. The baron (of course) and my Comp ARF MX2 with a DA150!

Name:	ec89862.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1445183   Click image for larger version

Name:	ol31421.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1445184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70620.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	1445185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17419.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1445186  
Old 05-30-2010, 10:56 PM

Wow,
Nice plane.. My 50 CC Carf seems big.. I bet that 150CC is fun to fly.
Doug
Old 05-31-2010, 12:28 AM

ORIGINAL: reyn3545

I weighed it again tonight... with the props, spinners, air system, etc.. installed, we're very close to 16 pounds without fuel. There's plenty of motor for 16 pounds, I just hope there's enough lift in the wings to get it off the ground, then get it back down without having to land at 40 MPH.

Here's a few pics. The windows are installed, but I still need to glue the doors on... they're taped on in the picture.
I just weighted mine with two 5000mah 4s lipo batteries, one 4.8 v battery for the lights. I have the gear doors yet to go. It's at 16.6 lbs. If you're worried about 16lbs I guess I'll really be sweating it.
I'm gluing in the two aft doors but can't decide on the front door. First I think I'll hinge it, then use magnets, then glue it. I'd kind of like to put the light switch on the floor of the cockpit but maybe it's to much trouble.
That Carf MX2 looks really great. I'd like to go that direction some time.

Name:	Jh14875.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1445506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60742.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1445507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55297.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1445508  
Old 05-31-2010, 07:09 AM

Funny thing, I just noticed that the panel decal where the fuel cap is located is backwards. The fuel cap should be towards the top of the wing not the leading edge.

Roy
Old 05-31-2010, 07:11 AM

Wow... now THAT's a nice looking plane!

what size props are you using, and what kind of RPM's are you seeing? I dediced on 12x8x3's and I'm getting about 9000 RPM.

It feels like plenty of power to get it in the air. It's just a little concerning when you consider that the website mentions that it should weigh 11 - 13 pounds. I've never had a plane that weighted what the website said it would, but for a plane this small to be 3 pounds over the suggested weight sure makes you wonder about takeoff and landing speed.

I'm going through the same cycles about the front door. I'm not finishing the cabin, but I still would like quick access to the receiver without taking the center wing section off. I'll probably glue it anyway.

I'm rapidly running out of excuses... time to get this bird in the air!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:27 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Has anyone heard from Cliff lately? I have emailed him about 5 times over the past two months, with no reply. Cliff, if you see this post, please PM or email me.

Thanks.

James.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:30 AM

I know he's been traveling a lot... haven't heard from him since SEFF, but long stretches of silence are not unusual.

I guess I can understand... as soon as we figure out he's on email again, we come out of the woodwork asking questions!
Old 06-01-2010, 05:34 PM

I cannot get any reply from him, same here.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:27 PM

Booker RCU,
Well, I decided to keep my Baron.. even though I have a 50CC plane I just finished.. I just cant get over the cool look of the Baron...
I am going to continue finishing mine now.
Wondered if you could tell me what engines and systems you are using.
I am new to electric and want to go that way.
Doug

ORIGINAL: booker-RCU

ORIGINAL: reyn3545

I just weighted mine with two 5000mah 4s lipo batteries, one 4.8 v battery for the lights. I have the gear doors yet to go. It's at 16.6 lbs. If you're worried about 16lbs I guess I'll really be sweating it.
I'm gluing in the two aft doors but can't decide on the front door. First I think I'll hinge it, then use magnets, then glue it. I'd kind of like to put the light switch on the floor of the cockpit but maybe it's to much trouble.
That Carf MX2 looks really great. I'd like to go that direction some time.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:38 PM

Hey Group,
Now that I am back on the Baron. Are the electric retracts available anytime soon??
I thought a new more comprehensive manual was coming out?? Has that happened.
I also wonder when we will get our antena's.... that were missing..
As you can see been out of the loop.
Had a knee replaced April 26th but am now recovered and back into life again.
Doug
Old 06-08-2010, 06:42 PM
My Feedback: (9)

G'day Doug,

I received my antenna a few weeks ago, and I am in Australia! Sounds like yours might have been lost in the mail. Have not heard anything about the electric retracts yet, but there are other electric options coming onto the market now. I am also having a lot of trouble contacting Cliff via email or PM. I think he is in hiatus after his epic Baron journey.

James.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:44 PM

OK.. sorry so much for all the posts at once.
I need help with electric set up.. will be ordering all the components tomorrow.. Any suggestions for best set up is appreciated. I would pay someone to help me if someone was local. Anyway, I am looking for an opinion on best set up for electric..
engines controllers battery's ...

Thanks in advance... lets get some of these things in the air.
Doug
Old 06-08-2010, 08:11 PM

Here's a link to some E-flite electric retracts that might fit well. I haven't tried them, but if they are standard size and the nose wheel has 105 degrees of swing... they should be fine. A friend of mine uses the smaller size on his Bonanza and they work and look great.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=EFLG411105

I sent one of my motors back to Horizon today... hopefully they find something wrong with it.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:28 PM
LNL

Doug, my Baron is set for all electric. Will be using Eflite 46 brushless motors, Eflite 60 amp switching bec controllers, 12 X 8 three blade
master airscrew props thru 14 X 10. Only need to use 1 5S 5000 mah battery. Plane will take off like a rocket. Lee.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:37 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: pilot32659

Booker RCU,
Well, I decided to keep my Baron.. even though I have a 50CC plane I just finished.. I just cant get over the cool look of the Baron...
I am going to continue finishing mine now.
Wondered if you could tell me what engines and systems you are using.
I am new to electric and want to go that way.
Doug

Doug,
Glad you're keeping the Baron. It is truly a real nice looking airplane. Also the construction is very good as you know.
I went with 2 Atlas 46 Outrunner motors. and two Phoenix Ice 75 Amp Esc's. I'm turning two 11/6 3 blade props. Lots of power. I have ordered the Horizon retracts but I see the date for delivery has been set back to mid July. I'm in contact with a electric Guru on RCU that is developing a conversion setup for mechanical retracts that I can put on the pneumatic ones I bought with the airplane. If I get that done before the Horizon ones arrive I'll cancel the order. So far I'm happy with the setup but think I would go with the E-flite motors next time. The Atlas prop adapter broke and they don't sell the parts separate. I'm trying to come up with something to fix it.
I have a set of the smaller e retracts from Horizon and just put them on my Hyperion mustang. They fit great and work perfectly. I have some more wiring to do and it's about ready.
Galen
Old 06-17-2010, 12:23 PM

Hey guys, sorry I have been out of the office for some time working on some new projects,, yes, one of them being the KingAir...
Anytime I have flown the Baron its weight winds up just under or at 14 lbs depending on batt. config.
At 14 lbs it gets up pretty quick and flies well.
Using two 5s 3600 is about the max that I have used.
Typically I will use 1 5s 5000 pack.
Great thread,, I will try to stay more on top of this one.

LNL, I have used that exact set up and you will have a very fast light airplane,, Enjoy!!

For anyone that has not got the antenna, I am having more expressed over from the factory.
I didnt realize we were out. Give me a few days and they should be here. Dont want anyone
loosing their airplane due to GPS malfunction.

I know I have been delaying the elect. retracts but I have had to go back and make some upgrades.
I want to make sure its bullet proof. Hang in there.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 PM

HE LIVES!!!

Great to hear from you. Mine should get off the ground as soon as Horizon returns the motor... looking forward to it, even if the GPS is out and I have to fly VFR.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 AM

Reyn,

You have done an outstanding job, looking forward to the maiden!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.