Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
 New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf >

New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Old 03-27-2011, 06:15 PM
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Hey Ron,
I spoke to Cliff just the other day and he may or may not be going to SEFF. He said it will be a last minute thing IF he goes. If you need any help with the Baron, just ask. Remember....I did build and CRASH the one last year at SEFF (the video of the crash all the way in was spectacular!!!) LOL.
I wish the plane had survived more than 3 flights. But when you lose a motor...it loses altitude QUICK!! Just remember that!![&o]
Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks so much for the update and offer - I am sure there will be many questions once I begin the build. I would like to get in touch with Cliff to see if/when he plans to make availabe the electric landing gear. He referenced earlier in this forum that he has a set in development, but we have no idea if he plans to bring them to market. Do you have any info on this??

Thanks again
Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 PM

Hi Guys, Ihad ordered the electric retracts from Cliff over a year ago, touched base with him last Dec or so and he thought he wouls have them 'soon'. Well, Icalled him last week and didn't get to talk to Cliff unfortunately, but did talk to one of his associates who seemed quite connected to the situation. He said that they have no date when to expect the electric conversion of the retracts. He didn't sound very happy with the last effort that they had gotten from thier supplier. His final words were "don 't expect them any time soon". So, Iasked to have the air gear sent instead. Should have them sometime soon. Iwould love to fly this plane, I flew it with the fixed gear cobbled up for a few flights maybe 3 months ago, but those gear are a destructive landing waiting to happen, so Istopped flying it.
The air gear isn't the end of the world, just an inconvience, Iwould definitely prefer the electric, but how long can you wait?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:31 PM

Thanks for that update. I have not started to build my Baron yet as I am still trying to complete my Bonanza 1/5 scale Top Flight kit. If there is no electric gear solution by the time I begin my build, then I will just plan on using pneumatic.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the large size electric retracts from E-Flite. The main gears are a direct drop-in. For the nose gear, the retracts have a 4mm main shaft hole, but the struts have a 5mm hole.

I tried at first to take a 5mm metal shaft and shave a mm off of half of it with a flat file and my drill press... it worked OK, but the shaft wound up more tapered than straight. Then, I decided to use the drill press again and expand the 4mm hole in the retracts out to 5mm... worked like a champ!

I still haven't flown it yet, but It's ready. I still need to finish the gear doors, but I'll probably get a few flights on it first to see how it flies.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 PM

Would you mind listing which ones exactly that you purchased? In your opinion, are these retracts strong enough to support this plane? I know that putting the 5MM in the nose helps a lot. Thanks for your help.

Ron
Old 03-28-2011, 05:53 PM

Mains..... http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...#quickOverview

Nose Gear.... http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=EFLG411105
Old 03-29-2011, 04:05 AM

Thanks so much for the link - please let us know how the maiden goes and if you feel that this land gear is strong enough for the plane's weight. Fly safe!!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:55 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Hi all,

It is such a shame that Cliff can not give some commitment to his electric retracts. If his models are anything to go by he would definitely make sure they are much better than the run of the mill stuff out there. It is a shame we have to revert to the E-Flite gear, which is not designed for this model, and requires modification to suit. I am sure he has many other commitments, much more important than this, but it seems that the Baron story will not be complete without the electric retract solution we were promised so long ago. I have resisted for this long, but I may have to take the E-Flite route if something does not happen soon.

Cliff - please try to find the time, mate. Kick those Chinese buts into gear!

Regards,

James.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: reyn3545

I bought the large size electric retracts from E-Flite. The main gears are a direct drop-in. For the nose gear, the retracts have a 4mm main shaft hole, but the struts have a 5mm hole.

I tried at first to take a 5mm metal shaft and shave a mm off of half of it with a flat file and my drill press... it worked OK, but the shaft wound up more tapered than straight. Then, I decided to use the drill press again and expand the 4mm hole in the retracts out to 5mm... worked like a champ!

I still haven't flown it yet, but It's ready. I still need to finish the gear doors, but I'll probably get a few flights on it first to see how it flies.
Reyn,

Have you flown your bird yet?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:02 PM

I have not.... for some reason, when I fill up the car go head to the field, this is not a plane that I'm thinking about.

I'm sure the e-flite gear is strong enough... the gear plates in the plane take most of the load, the retracts just raise and lower the gear. the only question from a stress standpoint would be on the nosegear... since it folds towards the tail. But, since it's tilted forward, I think that plate absorbs a good deal there too.

I'm trying to decide what to do with this plane. I should take it to the field, it's all ready, but for some reason, it's turning into a hangar queen.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: reyn3545

I have not.... for some reason, when I fill up the car go head to the field, this is not a plane that I'm thinking about.

I'm sure the e-flite gear is strong enough... the gear plates in the plane take most of the load, the retracts just raise and lower the gear. the only question from a stress standpoint would be on the nosegear... since it folds towards the tail. But, since it's tilted forward, I think that plate absorbs a good deal there too.

I'm trying to decide what to do with this plane. I should take it to the field, it's all ready, but for some reason, it's turning into a hangar queen.
Well, at least you have it built! Mine is still in the box, as I was waiting for the electric retracts and also just finding the building time is a struggle at the moment. I have an ESM Bonanza, which I finished building about 18 months ago, and I still haven't flown it!! I took it out for its maiden 18 months ago, but the ESM retracts were rubbish and the nose gear failed on me. I did not even get off the ground. I bit the bullet and bought a set of Robart Bonanza gear, which requires me to make some modifications to the model. This is where it is at now. Still haven't found the time to fit the Robarts!

Regards,

James.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:41 PM

I'd sell the whole thing for $500 if someone would come get it out of my basement. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but most of what's in it wouldn't go into anything else that I would want to fly.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:02 PM

If I was in the USA I might consider it! But shipping it to Australia might be a problem. ;-)
Old 04-06-2011, 06:17 PM

I probably wouldn't sell it anyway, but it is a pain to step over it every time I walk to my toolbox.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:28 PM

Guys - you're killing me with all this talk :-) I am getting ready to paint my 1/5 Top Flight V-Tail Bonanza that was built from a kit and them plane to start building the Baron.... which is still in the box. At this point, I will more than likely just go with Robart Pneumatic. They are strong and can be very reliable if you use the right fittings and air valves. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:08 AM

I know I keep asking but is there any sign of the king air very soon?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 PM

...and they keep not answering you. If Ihad something to sell that people wanted I might respond to their questions but Iguess not everyone feels that way.
I'm living in the UKand would love to get a hold of the Baron but Aerodyne's German dealer won't answer e-mails. What a strange business model.

Pardon me, I just checked and the German supplier has it on their website http://www.scaleflying.de/product_in...lack-grey.html
I expected a bit of a mark-up but they want 690 Euros for the airframe which today calculates to USD 1,010. That's a bit too much of a gouge for me. I'll wait til I'm back in North America.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:37 AM

I guess the whole king air thing is still under product review and manufacture. It is a extremely demanding thing trying to get a model of that kind, in that scale to become a reality, but I am sure everyone is working behind the scenes and one day it will be advertised as ready to buy. They have put a thread saying it is on its way so we will all just have to sit tight!http://www.scaleflying.com/COMING-SO...-ARF_p_52.html They have also put the price at between 5-600 UK pounds which makes a kit of this kind very competitive in my opinion as if it looks anything like the baron it will look amazing!

I was always under the impression that you could buy the baron and the king air direct from the supplier in the states. I was not aware that there were dealers making a extra buck from the deal. The onening line on the thread by the manufacturer says they wanted to produce affordable large scale kits for us modellers to enjoy. Kinda defeats the object when suppliers put their 20, 30 or 40% markup on the deal

tony

<br type="_moz" />
Old 04-17-2011, 07:34 PM
My Feedback: (2)

HEre is some pics of the Baron I took to SEFF
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21265.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1595454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55919.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1595455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37073.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1595456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr47046.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1595457  
Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 AM

Hi Condor060 - Great meeting you at SEFF. I really appreciate all the information you shared regarding this Baron and how she flys. Especially apprecate you allowing me to take pictures showing some of the modifications you made. For those building a Baron, it makes a lot of sense to put the rudder and elevator servos in the rear. It frees up more space in front for the batteries. Here are a few pictures of Confor060's plane I took that you might find helpful in your build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hf99254.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	1595553   Click image for larger version

Name:	ax73107.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	1595554   Click image for larger version

Name:	sq47991.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	1595555   Click image for larger version

Name:	ki19273.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	1595556   Click image for larger version

Name:	jh16827.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	1595557   Click image for larger version

Name:	ig11333.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	1595558   Click image for larger version

Name:	yw67859.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	1595559  
Old 04-21-2011, 02:09 AM

Hi Guys,

anyone got both the Barron and the top flite C310? I am trying to decide which one to get.

I know I will need to do some work modifying the C310 to go electric, but it is bigger But the barron looks more detailed...... hmmm which one!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:22 AM
My Feedback: (54)

Hi Parrot Girl
I have both, I like each one for their own reasons. I think the Baron would be the easiest to transport and convert to electric. Just my opinion though, for what it's worth.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:49 PM

I have to apologize, I do not get on forums much but here is an update.

As im learning in this business, things change quick, and what factories can offer you may also change.
The Electric retracts, this is something I have struggled with because I feel that they have to be made extremely well and
also need to be able to hold up to at least the baron's weight. Not everyone is going to land perfect so of course they need to be
made very well to hold up to those not so perfect landings.

Its been quite a learning experience and I really hate to delay things and offer items unless they are at a closer stage in the production level.
I have not offered the electric retracts because I do not feel they are adequate for the things I have mentioned. I have stopped offering
dates and times on when they are available. Same with the King Air. The Baron 58 was a major project for me and the king air is my favorite so
I plan to be spending quite a bit more time with this one. I will also be finding ways to make this airplane a bit less build intensive.
Overall, the king air should be a bit more refined, fit and finish.

The landing gear and retracts will also be much more well planned out with a much easier way to install them, allowing for other mfg retracts to fit
as well.

So please be patient, I plan to really go all out with my favorite airplane. I wont disappoint.

At this time, all I can say is I will be in China this weekend to work on the King Air and im very happy with what has progressed so far.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:25 PM

Hey Cliff - thanks for your update. To be candid, I did not get any indication from your post as to whether electric retracts are still being planned for the Baron. Great to know that you will be giving more planning thought to the Kind Air, but there are still many of us that have purchased the Baron and are still in flux. Any additional feedback is much appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.