Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
 New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf >

New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Old 07-11-2011, 04:08 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Hey Cliff, any chance of an update on the retracts?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:09 AM
My Feedback: (123)

Hello Guys! Do any of you have a wiring diagram for the batteries/esc's? I have the Scorpion motors and ESC's from rcaerodyne. I plan on using 2 4cell batteries, one per engine. Do I need to use a seperate receiver battery and if so, do I need alter the ESC's? Thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 04:45 PM

I am using hyperion 4020-12 motors. Any ideas on the length of the standoffs? Any other motor install tips would be helpful. Thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 01:16 AM

Has anyone got any old style struts that they would like to swap for new style struts?
Old 07-21-2011, 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Parrot Girl

Has anyone got any old style struts that they would like to swap for new style struts?
Hi Parrot Girl, yes I would consider swapping with you. Are you able to wait until Cliff has his retracts in? I just want to make sure that the newer struts will fit his retract mechanism. Apart from that I do not see a problem. PM me again.

james.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:26 PM

Hi Guys,

good news,

Looks like scaleflying has come thru

There are new struts coming that will fit my eflites, Cliff is going to send me some

They also sent me the parts that were missing from my kit - I can now build it and hopefully have it ready for the next scale rally if the new struts don't take too long!
Old 07-22-2011, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Parrot Girl

Hi Guys,

good news,

Looks like scaleflying has come thru

There are new struts coming that will fit my eflites, Cliff is going to send me some

They also sent me the parts that were missing from my kit - I can now build it and hopefully have it ready for the next scale rally if the new struts don't take too long!
Hey Parrot Girl, did Cliff give you any indication as to when his electric retracts would be ready? I have not looked through my kit for a while, so not sure if any parts are missing. Will have to check now that you have mentioned it. I wonder if the new struts are basically the same, or if they are more scale now?
Old 07-22-2011, 05:58 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys - I spoke to Cliff this afternoon and gave him a heads up to Parrot Girl's issue. He apologized for not having checked this forum lately. Regarding the electric retracts, he got in about a dozen units for the Baron that he wanted to first put through testing to make sure there would not be any issues...bad news - 3 of the 12 failed. He does not want to bring them to market yet because it will only cause issues should they not work. Sorry I don't have better news to report. On another note, I have decided to go with the air retracts - the version 2 that he is now selling is much stronger than the previous units. For me, I don't have a problem filling up the tank each time. Hope this news helps.

Ron G
Old 07-24-2011, 08:26 PM

Ron,
Great chatting with you the other day.

So yes, I just wanted to let everyone know that the new oleo struts will fit both eflite and also our v2 air retracts. The new struts should be available in about 4 weeks and will have a little stronger spring in them also.
I also did want to address the issue of the electric retracts. I am still having issues with them and felt that, until I am completely satisfied with them, I must delay them until further notice. I am extremely sorry, and never thought I would run into these problems. Im doing my best to get these worked out but would rather not make them available than sell them with doubts on quality.

If any have questions other than what I have addressed, for a quicker response from me, please send an email thru my web site and mark it att: Cliff and I will do my best to answer quickly. I thank everyone for all your support
Old 07-24-2011, 11:53 PM

any news on the king air?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:30 AM

Here is a little thing I put together for you guys,, and gals.. Having some fun with the new mini cameras....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bNnq1Dza6M
Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 AM

Cliff, Very nice video! Iam very jeleous of those electric retracts. At least one set of them works well. Isee you have the front gear doors working also, very nice, Ihave not had much luck with them so far Ijust leave them open. Didyou have the doors ona seperate channel or arethey on a sequencer that works with the retracts? If so, is that part of the electric retracts you will eventuallysell? Any chance you could do another video or even just some closeup photos of the front retract and gear door assembly. Iam sure everyone here would like to see that detail.
And again, thanks for the video and the Baron too!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:22 AM

Cliff - Awesome video and thanks for sharing. This was one of the first multi-camera videos I have seen mounted on a plane in some time, so well done!! Please keep the videos coming.
Ron
Old 08-29-2011, 12:08 PM

Is it just me or was the right main messed up as seen in the video at 2:26 when the plane is taxiing away from the camera?  It looks like it didn't extend enough.  Other than that, it looks like a great flying little plane and that was an AWESOME video.  The thought that went into the B58 is spectacular, and I'm glad to see tat stuff like this is still for sale.  I can't wait to see the KingAir if/when it gets put into production.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 AM

if there was ever a video to advertise a product this is it!!!! The model looks absolutely beautiful and the camera work just as special.

I agree the retracts work just like the real thing!

I CANNOT wait for the king air to become a reality, that will be one very special model indeed!! I have my order ready to go!!

tony<br type="_moz" />
Old 08-30-2011, 02:07 PM

I have 2 questions for those who are building their Baron electric. I have read in this thread that 10 gauge wire should be used from the ESC to the batteries - Given that the wire coming off the ESC (Castle Phoenix 60) is only 12 gauge, could I use 12 gauge on the 24" run in order to cut down on weight? My second question is that I also heard that it is recommended to put a capacitor on each ESC given the length of the wire run being so long. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Ron
Old 08-30-2011, 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: rgaynor

I have 2 questions for those who are building their Baron electric. I have read in this thread that 10 gauge wire should be used from the ESC to the batteries - Given that the wire coming off the ESC (Castle Phoenix 60) is only 12 gauge, could I use 12 gauge on the 24'' run in order to cut down on weight? My second question is that I also heard that it is recommended to put a capacitor on each ESC given the length of the wire run being so long. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Ron
Hi Ron, yes I want to do the same thing and have my ESC's in the nacelles and batteries in the fuse. Apparently this puts a lot of stress on the ESC's, something to to with voltage ripple and such. Adding capacitors in parallel close to the ESC alleviates the problem to some extent. I found this thread very useful: [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952523]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952523[/link]

James.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:31 PM

Thanks James for that feedback- I will check out that thread. BTW - are you running 12g or 10a from ESC to the batteries?
Thanks
Ron
Old 08-30-2011, 06:41 PM

Thanks James for that feedback- I will check out that thread. BTW - are you running 12g or 10a from ESC to the batteries?
Thanks
Ron
I have both 10g and 12g, but have not decided yet. You are right, the 10g is quite heavy. Though I am of the opinion that it is often better to be over than under, as long as you can handle the extra weight.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:45 PM

Agreed! - I came up with a wiring and solder solution that will minimize how much 10g wire I use along with the number of deans connections needed, thereby reducing overall resistance. I will take pictures after I put it together and then post on this site. I also plan to wire in a safety switch that will be mounted in the plane's nose. Stay tuned.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:23 PM

Agreed! - I came up with a wiring and solder solution that will minimize how much 10g wire I use along with the number of deans connections needed, thereby reducing overall resistance. I will take pictures after I put it together and then post on this site. I also plan to wire in a safety switch that will be mounted in the plane's nose. Stay tuned.
Looking forward to seeing it!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:16 PM

I was planning to build a safety switch with resistor into the nose of the Baron, but soon learned that there just is not enough room. While I was able to minimize deans connections by a few, there is just no getting around having a wire run less than 30". Please let me know if anyone else has a better solution. I have attached a few pictures: The first and second picture shows how I solder the deans connector in the middle of the wire that runs from one engine mount to the other. The goal here was to "T" both ESC's together and run a single wire pair from the wing to the batteries. This allowed me to eliminate one pair of wires running from the wing to the batteries. The last 2 pictures show how everything hooks up before being installed into the fuselage. Given the high amps of these batteries, I decided to install a resistor where the single wire pair goes from the wing connection to the batteries.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95036.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1656339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89112.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1656340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45687.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1656341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16927.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1656342  
Old 10-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Can someone please help me confirm the CG location on the Baron. The plans call for 3 1/4 from leading edge root - I am assuming that the root is front part of the wing that sits in the wing saddle. If this is correct, the point is far too forward of the main spar. All feedback is appreciated.
Thanks
Ron
Old 10-06-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the root is where the wing meets the fuselage
Old 10-07-2011, 12:15 AM

very good feedback from everyone involved with the Baron builds, makes excellent reading for those building their own for sure and a excellent refernece point for anyone looking into building one of these fantastic scale planes!

I know I keep harping on about it, but is there any news on the King Air?

tony<br type="_moz" />

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.