Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
 New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf >

New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Old 11-07-2011, 09:01 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

ORIGINAL: rgaynor

Thanks Jymster for the complements. I am using the Baron air retracts from RC Aerodyne. While they look very scale, they are not as good as Robarts - but don't cost as much either.
No worries. Do you know if they are 90 deg or 85 deg? Are you able to take a photo of your model from the front of one of the nacelles so I can see the angle of the gear relative to the ground/wing?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:03 AM

yes yes another superb baron build, it looks truly gorgeous!! and the interior really looks great too. It looks like the real thing on the table as if its been shrunk in the wash lol!!

well done any chance of a video of her in flight?<br type="_moz" />
Old 11-08-2011, 05:47 AM

I maiden the Baron last week and the best news is... I brought it back home in one piece. That said, I thought this would be a good time to take pictures of the final build and post to this site. The plane is running on:
• 2 Power 46 motor
• 12x8 props
• 2x 5S 4400mah 40C batteries running in parallel
• Castle Creations Ice 75 esc
I purchased the unpainted version and added my own color scheme. I also added landing lights that we carved out of auto body putty. The antenna was made removable - used magnets to attach.

Lookin' Good ! I also like your shrunken copy of "Flying" magazine.

I've been a subscriber to this thread for maybe.....oh...2 years but still haven't purchased my Baron.

After seeing your pictures you may have pushed me a little closer.

Does anyone know if the electric retracts are available yet ? Their sure has been a lot of talk about them.

Robart is coming out with electric retracts at the end of December. In their ad they didn't mention what sizes will be available.

Joe M.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:04 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a few pictures - hope they help.
Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83431.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1683658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40007.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1683659  
Old 11-08-2011, 07:09 AM

were the retracts a hassle to fit and make work properly and as you bought the unpainted version, how much of a hassle was it to paint. Would there be any chance of offering a 'how to paint it' synopsis/breakdown on how you painted it.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:48 AM

The gear dropped right into the well, so there were no problems at all. The nose gear doors are somewhat complicated to install and unless you are an experienced builder, you may just want to leave them off or keep them in a opened fixed psotion. Regarding painting the plane, I would HIGHLY recommend going with the version already painted. They do a great detailed job which is hard to replicate. You will spend more money on paint and supplies to paint yourself vs. the extra $50 RC Aerodyne charges. Hope that helps.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:17 AM

Oooohh, Ilove it rgaynor! Beautiful build. Ihave spent some time working with the front gear doors and have so far left them off. Ihave tried using the makeshift hinges that RC Aerodydne gives you with the model, but they are really too fragile for the job. Where ddid you get the hinges you used? They look much more usable than the stock ones. Does the retracted gear just push that rope like thing between the doors to close them? Or is there another servo somewhere that operates them? Have you had trouble with the spring down front retract? Mine works fine when the plane is on it's back on the bench, but when upright the spring just doesn't seem to have the push to swing the gear forward and up enough at the end of it's throw to lock the gear reliably. Electrics would be great, but it doesn't sound like they will be coming anytime soon.
Again, great looking plane and a lot of good engineering obviously went into it !!!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:41 AM

I know it would be a right pain and time consuming to do but if any future builders are building one of these, it would so so helpful if you could put the video camera on a tripod and film yourself building the more intricate bits of the plane. I am sure that the videos can be edited as most of these builds are very time consuming, even the small bits that may take 5 minutes to do. When I get my King Air, I will hopefully give that a go so that everyone can see how its done, or not done as the case may be. I would be prepared to put myself up for being a guinea pig. I know I would love to learn from builders on how they do their thing, I know you learn by giving it a go yourself, but it would also be of benefit to everyone having a go at one of these wonderful planes on how successful builders have solved problems with their kits

tony
Old 11-08-2011, 11:07 AM

Hi together, dear rgaynor

You built your Baron58 as a real professional and I am glad that you flew it as a professional too on your maiden. Thank you very much for your nice pictures. Congratulations!
You gave me an other idea to mount the front gear doors. I had the same problems as murphyj123 wrote with the spring down front retract that didn't lock the gear reliably at the landing. I try now to mount the front gear doors without any contact to the retract. They will open and close with a small additional servo.
So, if you would take a video from your next flight, please let us know and see something about it.

all the best and thank's a lot in advance

Daniel
Old 11-08-2011, 12:18 PM

Thanks for those kind words. I started out using the spring loaded hinges that came with the kit, but they broke immediately - way too fragil to use and you have realized. I instead purchased the large door hinges made by Robart. They are about $9.00 per pair. I removed the springs from the hinges that came with this kit and custom fitted them to the Robart hinges. I am using a rubber band (not string) to close the doors. Funny you should mention about the front nose gear - I have the same issue. It closes fine on it's back, but won't lock in the upright position. I am thinking about inserting a spacer behind the spring inside the piston chamber to see if provides a little more spring action. I am also finding that the main gear will sometimes lock and will not open. Have you experienced that same problem??
Old 11-08-2011, 03:12 PM

Yes, you describe the issues Ihave had with the current retracts precisely. Basically the spring down is not as effective as it should be. Ihave tried some elastic band to help pull it forward, but then it won't go down. Seems to be a difficult balancing act. Iwould love if smeone could figure out a good solution for these gear. Iam getting pretty fed up with air.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:59 PM

I spoke today to Cliff at RC Aerodyne regarding the problem with his pneumatic retracts. It wasn’t until today did I realize other modelers are experiencing the same issue with the front nose gear. That is, it retracts fine when the plane is on its back, but does not lock into position when the plane is upright.

Cliff has offered to replace the pneumatic retracts and struts with a better and more expensive manufactured pneumatic retract system FOR FREE! This new product should be ready for shipment within the next 2-3 weeks. Just call RC Aerodyne (253-854-0090) and ask for Robert. Ask him to put you on the shipping list, per Cliff, for these new retracts when they arrive.

Let me be the first to say… THANK YOU CLIFF, for the outstanding way to continue to treat your customers. You ALWAYS go out of your way to “do right by your customers”! To everyone reading this forum, this is why you should continue to purchase from RC Aerodyne – THEY TRULY STAND BEHIND THERE PRODUCTS!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:00 PM

I am hoping that the E-Flite retracts take care of all of these issues!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:08 PM

It seems like the optional electric retracts are taking forever to manufacturer.

A question for you guys already flying your Baron and having problems with your retracts.

Have you ever contacted Down and Locked to see if they can do the electrical conversion on the supplied air units ? I know they can do the conversion on Robart gear for sure, but, other manufacturers ?? Check out the video and review at http://www.downandlocked.com/index.htm

As I mentioned earlier I have their conversion on my TopFlite Cessna 310.............they are working great and operate at a nice scale speed. They also have an electrical option to sequentially open/close your gear doors if the doors are servo operated (see the video).

Joe M.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:11 PM

Here are a few pictures - hope they help.
Ron
Thanks Ron for the photos, however I was hoping for a photo from the front of the model, so I can see the angle of the main gear leg relative to the wing. Any chance you have one from this angle? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: jymster

I am hoping that the E-Flite retracts take care of all of these issues!

Hi jymster,

I believe we discussed the EFlite retracts here at this thread a while back. The general feeling seemed to be that the conversion would be slightly difficult, but not impossible. I can't remember the details, so you may need to go back and re-read the thread. They are definitely not a drop-in.

Also, from what I remember at that time, EFlite did not have retracts strong enough. Since then they have come out with what they call a 60-120 size. They are good for aircraft up to 15 pounds. I have a few sets of them..........they work great. Don't know for sure, but these newer units may (not will.....but MAY) work in the Baron. Without seeing the Baron I can't tell.

Joe M.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

Hi jymster,

I believe we discussed the EFlite retracts here at this thread a while back. The general feeling seemed to be that the conversion would be slightly difficult, but not impossible. I can't remember the details, so you may need to go back and re-read the thread. They are definitely not a drop-in.

Also, from what I remember at that time, EFlite did not have retracts strong enough. Since then they have come out with what they call a 60-120 size. They are good for aircraft up to 15 pounds. I have a few sets of them..........they work great. Don't know for sure, but these newer units may (not will.....but MAY) work in the Baron. Without seeing the Baron I can't tell.

Joe M.
Thanks Joe, yes I remember the discussion about the E-Flites a while back. I have no issue with the modifications required, not a problem. I just can decide whether I need 85 deg or 90 deg mains. It seems logical that 90 deg would not work because of the dihedral in the wing, but everyone seems to be using 90 deg. I will have to slice open the sealed wheel wells on my wing an take a look inside. Regarding your E-Flite sets, is the speed adjustable at all? Possibly via the servo speed adjustment in my JR 10X TX? Hmmm, I wonder....
Old 11-08-2011, 05:34 PM
My Feedback: (244)

I am also having the same problem with the retracts. Nose gear comes within a 16th of an inch of locking and one of the mains come down fine but the other side stays locked. I put a valve inline to adjust the speed which does seem to help keep the gear from slamming up into the aircraft. Also, i used a lubricating oil from Bob Violet which seemed to help with both problems. Not sure if it cured the problems, but it helped.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:07 PM

ORIGINAL: jymster

Regarding your E-Flite sets, is the speed adjustable at all? Possibly via the servo speed adjustment in my JR 10X TX? Hmmm, I wonder....

The speed is not adjustable, but they work at such a nice scale speed why would you need to control the speed ?

All of my EFlite electric gear have performed just about flawlessly except for one item; the very thin 3-wire harness that controls the retract were breaking off right at the retracts electric motor due to vibration.[X(] I had to return at least two sets of the gear because of this problem. When it happened for the third time, I came up with a simple anti-vibration fix[8D]......apply some clear silicone where the wire harness exits the electric motor. Now I'm a happy camper.......no more problems now.

Joe M.

Name:	Ec88946.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1683884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33749.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1683885  
Old 11-08-2011, 06:16 PM

Thanks Joe, will keep that mod in mind.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 PM

Let me know if this is what you are looking for

Name:	Ro41624.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1683958  
Old 11-08-2011, 08:17 PM

Let me know if this is what you are looking for
Almost! It would be awesome if you could get a shot inline directly under one of the spinners, directly looking at the main gear leg level with the bottom of the wing. Please don't go to too much trouble, though, just if you have something already or if it is easy to do. thanks mate.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:50 AM

The e-flite retracts are drop in. You will need 85 degree for the wing and 105 for the nose. The only thing you need to do is on the nose. It will install from the top. Meaning to open the nose cone and insert the retract from the top of the airplane. It will drop right in. However, here is a small issue with the angle. Because the wood mounts in the nose are slightly angled, add the 105 angle on the e-flight retract, its a bit too much angle. My solution is that I just added some additional material /wood/epoxy to reduce the angle on the wood mounts inside the airplane. In another model I just added a few shims. Either way, it is very simple and works fine. The two mains drop right in and need no mods. The new oleo struts that will be arriving are adaptable to either the pneumatic retracts, but they also have a 5mm dia. hole which bolts right onto the e-flite retracts as well.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Hi rgaynor

"Cliff has offered to replace the pneumatic retracts and struts with a better and more expensive manufactured pneumatic <font color="#000000">retract</font> system FOR FREE! This new product should be ready for shipment within the next 2-3 weeks. Just call RC Aerodyne (253-854-0090) and ask for Robert. Ask him to put you on the shipping list, per Cliff, for these new retracts when they arrive."

Thank you for your initiative. I wrote a e-Mail to Robert at Scale Flying to put me on the shipping-list too. Perhaps that he can add the two light covers that I am waiting for three or four month.
With the main retracts I have no problems to close or open the gears, it's only the front gear that doesn't work well. So I would only change this one.
Cliff is very fair and some times,I would rather buy some more planes from him to give him the opportunity to gain some money. So, the next season will come soon.

For the front gear doors, I will take some hinges as you did.
By the way, could you tell me the weight of your Baron58 with all items (batteries etc.) you need to fly? I wonder, if my Baron would be to heavy. I saw on aerodyne germany that the weight would be 6.5 kg and mine is far away from this.

greetings from Zurich

Daniel

Old 11-09-2011, 10:47 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was wondering if anyone knew of a larger Baron RC plane that is currently available in Kit or ARF... 1/4 scale or so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.