Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Proctor nieuport gear >

Proctor nieuport gear

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Proctor nieuport gear

Old 06-09-2003, 01:47 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proctor nieuport gear

O.K....my antic is not scale but...I just got the nieuport gear for it and what a fantastic set of gear!!! But...How the heck do you do the bungee cord? Would like to hear what some of you WWl guy's have done. Thanks.

Bud
Old 06-09-2003, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Girl's sports elastic bands (the black ones that they use for ponytails) work great as bungee for 1/4 scale planes. you can get them at CVS or Drugmart. They come about 10 on a card.

Jim
Old 06-09-2003, 01:05 PM

Default nieuport gear

The bungee came with the gear...my question is how do you mount it, it's just a single strand. Do you use epoxy,ca or what's the procedure?
Old 06-09-2003, 02:41 PM
My Feedback: (41)

Default bungee rigging

Here is the procedure: Take the length of bungee provided and cut it in half. Take some aluminum or brass tubing that is 3/16" or 1/4" dia. Cut 4 short (1/4" max) lengths to use as crimps.

Slip one of the crimps onto the first bungee and after wrapping the bungee around the spreader bar slip the end through the crimp and crimp it down to hold it. Now wrap under the gear, then over the axle between the wheel and the gear leg. Continue going over the spreader, under the gear, over the axle etc. until you come to the end. Apply moderate tension to the bungee as you do this. You want the gear to be able to travel up and down in the gear slot to absorb shock. When you come to within 3-4" of the end, slip another crimp onto the bungee, then continue with one last wrap around and under so that the bungee end comes back around to where the crimp is. Thread the end into the crimp and clamp it down with pliers.

That's about all there is to it.

Jeff Lovitt
Old 06-09-2003, 04:42 PM

Default proctor nieuport gear

Thanks Jeff,
Much appreciated.

Bud
Old 06-09-2003, 04:47 PM

Just a note for builders of models of early planes with bungees. Found a product in the Home Depot here called "Band It", used as a band around trashcans to hold bags in. The look just like bungee cords and can be shortened as in the above post. Next time you are at Home Depot watch for them in a box next to the register and see what you think. Have used them on the gear on a large TravelAir and they worked great.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:23 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Cliff,
Good tip, thanks. I`m always looking for small bungee cord. I store mine in the fridge with my beer, ca, tan rubber for my stick models...makes it last.
Bud, the N-11 l/g assembly is also VERY strong. This I know.

John
Old 06-11-2003, 10:35 PM

Default nieuport gear

John,
Sounds like there's a good story there on the n-11 gear. Thanks,

Bud
Old 06-11-2003, 10:44 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Unfortunately, there are quite a few stories about that. My little N-11 is a good flyer, but I`ve never been able to really relax when I land. You just have to be very aware of the planes` attitude and heading, while bleeding off as much airspeed as you can. It`s funny how it seems that someone always asks a question while I`m rounding out at 2' over the grass...

John
Old 06-12-2003, 02:43 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Default I'll second that

I have to agree with John on the subject of N-11 landings. I find takeoffs and landings with the 11 to be among the most difficult things to do well in modeling. I have found that landing all boils down to the moment that you touch the ground-- I have had great approaches that went sour at the last moment and terrible approaches that worked out great in the last moments with the right correction of rudder. As John also mentioned, speed is critical as I simply can't land this airplane very fast-- I like to try to rudder the airplane in the last few seconds to make sure it is tracking straight with respect to the ground, and flare it so that there is little forward momentum when it touches. This way-- it can't get tangled up in itself on the ground.

Having said all that-- there are few things in modeling like a grass field and a Nieuport 11....

Jeff Lovitt
Davis, CA