Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
flying wires >

flying wires

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

flying wires

Old 06-13-2003, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flying wires

anyone know nifty way to attach flying wires but not requiring actual turnbuckles. I heard in the past of the technique of using something called 'spider wire' and some type of elastic line so that they remain taught. Any ideas?
thanks alot.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:43 PM

Default flying wires

Angelspushing,
On my Balsa USA E-III Eindecker I used an elastic cord called "Bead Cord Elastic". You can get it at WalMart in the craft section. I looped it through small eyelets, (also available in the craft section) apply a small drop of C.A. and then slide a piece of shrink tube over it. It looks great and stays tight.Good luck.
Steve
Old 06-15-2003, 03:28 AM

Default flying wires

I have just finished the rigging on my third scale Fly Baby Bipe.It was always a problem to me to be able to tension the wires after they are hooked up. This time I found the answer I think. I was in the fishing tackle store to buy some wire for my Bipe. I was browsing through their other stuff and saw these neat swivels. Swivels come in all sizes and strengths. I bought the 150 pound test ones. What I did then was to solder one side of the swivel to the anchor connector on the airplane. I then connected one of those threaded steel connectors to the other side of the swivel. I did this by slipping the jaws of the connecter over the swivel loop and putting the screw though it. Into this threaded connector went my threaded coupling with my flying wire soldered into the open end. Measure for length and solder into a connector at the other end. Result the wire can be twisted to tension the wire and the swivel will prevent you from putting a twist in the wire. This all sounds very complicated but in fact it takes me almost as long to type this as to actually make up a flying wire.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:25 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default flying wires

I used control line cable and Dubro pull/pull riggings and 4-40 clevises for the flying wires on my 1/4 scale Flybaby. With the clevises, I've got approximately 1/2" of adjustment I can make in the 1 piece wire. Worked out pretty good. I've heard of guys using weedwacker nylon cutting line for flying wires after they had interference problems with metal wires.

Hangar Rat, Got any pics of your 1/3 scale Flybaby. Sure would like to that model.

Jon

Flybaby flying wires
Old 06-16-2003, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mini-clevis "turnbuckels"

I am rigging my .60 size Camel with 80lb test monofiliment fishline, and using mini turnbuckels made from nylon mini-clevises, with a slot head screw and keeper nut, with tiny washer soldered into the slot. The clevis snaps onto a small two-hole strap sitting that is screwed to the termination point. The other end, I loop through the other landing gear strap and squash a short length of aluminum tubing to hold it securely.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	87056_13904.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	50377  
Old 06-17-2003, 02:52 AM

Default flying wires

hey people, thanks for the ideas. i will try to roundup some of these materials you all mentioned and see how they "look".

e-challenged: nice picture. at first i thought the thumbnail was an aerial shot of an excavation site of old bones. couldnt quite see exactly but get the idea. it helps