Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Stearman Propeller

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Stearman Propeller

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 PM
jim52519
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stearman Propeller

Hi All,
During the WWII timeframe would a Stearman's wooden prop be a Sensenich or some other brand? I am finishing a Ziroli 87" Stearman and would like to have a realistic looking prop. Also what is a good way to simulate the metal on the leading edge of the prop?
Jim
Old 03-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Laird SS

Default RE: Stearman Propeller

How about flite-metal for the leading edge?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:32 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Lowes or Home Depot. Go to the ducting area of the store usually near heaters, tiles, etc. You can buy aluminum duct adhesive tape that is the real thing. Cheap.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:40 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually, the heating/air duct tape is not good for this.
there is an aluminum tape that is used for heat deflection in cooktop cutouts for Corian (solid surface) countertops that is pefect for this.
if you're interested, i can send you a link to the supplier of this tape. it's the perfect thickness.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:56 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here it is......this stuff is amazing. conforms to many compound shapes and is the perfect thickness to be used in many applications we come across such as this.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gl41CWV00HRLbl

not cheap though, but who wants to cheap out on a scale project?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:54 AM
ScaleAero

Summerwind:

Have you used this explicit 3M product or one of its counterparts?

I was surprised you did not share the fact it is a "linerless" product wound onto itself...

This is to say its not a silicon free sheet linered foil. Consequence of this configuration
is it is specifically designed for backwinding to laminating equipment for mechanical
application to static surfaces...not manual application to a surface.

As expensive as this explicit 3M product is, it would be a crying shame for someone to
order it finding out it could not be returned after they discover it to be a real pain in the
tail feathers to apply.

There are hundreds of product specifications with combinations of alloy and adhesive
types with individual use and application characteristics and consequences. Not every
aluminum foil you find will serve in the same manner as "The Real Thing" on a model.

Finally, I do not recommend use of any foil laminate on the leading or trailing edge of a
flying prop. There is the possibility it will delaminate and cause injury to someone near
the spinning prop. Secondly, the balancing issue is something you would have to address
or there might be a lot more flying around than foil... :^ )
Old 04-10-2009, 12:28 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use that tape all the time but I also get it for free at work so I dont have to pay. I would NOT put it on a flying prop but static is great. It is some tough stuff as it is the only thing that hangs on at 350 mph when used as a temp. repair cover for composite work at the airlines. Like I say I get it for free.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:10 PM
jim52519
My Feedback: (3)

I decided not to put any foil on the flying prop. If I do anything I will paint the L.E. to simulate the metal.
The foil tape does sound like it could be used in other places on a scale model.

Jim