Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Spad XIII Prop rotation >

Spad XIII Prop rotation

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Spad XIII Prop rotation

Old 06-16-2003, 11:36 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spad XIII Prop rotation

I walked down to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum on Friday during lunch just for fun and I was looking at the details on the Spad XIII (Smith IV) on display. I have seen it many times but this time I noticed that the prop on the plane is made for clockwise rotation. Is this normal for a Spad or is it the wrong prop?

Jeff
Old 06-16-2003, 11:56 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default spad xiii

By looking at other pics of spad xiii's I would say that the NASM got it right. BTW since you live in the DC area ( as I do) you may me interested in knowing that the Dulles Facility is on track for opening this Dec. The planes are being transfered and hung for display weekly. Regards BobH.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:25 PM

Thanks BobH:

I have been eagerly awaiting the openning of the Dulles facility. Other than just enjoing all things airplane, I am building a 1/4 scale Nieuport 28 and have not had access to the one in the NASM facility. It has been crated for the move ever since I started this project (Dec. last year). So, even though the Garber facility is only minutes from my house, I can't see it.

Jeff
Old 06-16-2003, 05:34 PM

Default Spad viii

Jeff.. is that justice? lol... a guy I work with is a vol for the NASM .. he sends me the emails about the on goings at Dulles... You going to make Warbirds over Delaware this year?.. BobH
Old 06-16-2003, 05:37 PM

Default Spad

Isn't that spad in the museum the one the original pilot that flew it used to come and sit in his lawn chair by the plane? Saw that on tv many times and heard he had some good stories. Think at the time he was in his 90's. Since passed away. Would like to have met him. I've gotta get back down there...many changes no doubt since my last visit.

Bud
Old 06-16-2003, 05:41 PM

Default Spad.

Bud, I think that is the guy that they show in the video... talking about WWI... dang neat to see!!!!BobH
Old 06-16-2003, 05:44 PM

That is probably the same spad. They have a video tape loop running next to the plane of an interview with the pilot as an elderly man talking about what WWI combat flying was like.

The plane has little black squares with German crosses stuck in various places. I assume they are covering bullet holes. Kind of makes it real when you think about 8mm slugs passing through the plane just a few feet from the pilot seat. The Spad is a beauty.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:50 PM

BObH:

I don't know if I will go to the Delaware Warbirds event or not. I will be going to the PGRC warbirds fly in in August though. Will you be there?

Jeff
Old 06-16-2003, 05:52 PM

Default Spad.

The AF Museum is restoring a spad also... maybe they are finished with it now...? Hopefull I'll see it in Dayton this fall... BobH.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:05 PM

Default There's a GEARED Hisso V8 in the SPAD-Treize, all right!

Dear JWC:

The PIPE here again-and the Hispano-Suiza in the SPAD XIII at the National Air and Space Museum, as in ALL SPAD-Treize aircraft ("treize" is French for "thirteen") is a GEARED engine, with the prop being driven by a gearbox in the front of that "huge-as-a-modern-diesel-truck-V8" early era powerplant!

ALL Hispano-Suiza V8 powered aircraft from the WW I era have either "direct drive" power output...using a counterclockwise propeller, like our model engines ususally use-or geared down, with a regular pair of "spur gears" doing the speed reduction, which meant that the prop rotated in a CLOCKWISE manner on planes like the Spad-Treize, the Sopwith Dolphin, and on early four-blade-propped S.E 5a British fighter aircraft.

The geared Hisso was even used in the notorious Spad-DOUZE (Spad XII) as it provided a hollow propshaft possibility for a Hotchkiss single-shot (did not auto-load) 37mm CANNON to be mounted in it-Georges Guynemer was one of the first recepients of one of these-and even Charles Biddle of the US Air Service flew one of these "cannon-Spads" with the 13th Aero Squadron (the "original 'Grim Reaper' squadron" in US military service) bearing the number ZERO on the plane.

These gearbox equipped Hisso V8s proved to be a BIG problem in service, however-on Sopwith Dolphins fitted with the 220 HP geared Hissos, it was not unknown for the entire propeller, propshaft and GEARBOX to "part company" from the rest of the engine on occasion in flight, and stripped gears and propshafts were constantly coming loose in flight and SPINNING uselessly in the gearbox (if they didn't actually come OUT first) more often than not!

The Spad-Treize was not immune to these gearbox problems either-when the radiators on their noses were not springing leaks like a fountain-so it was VERY understandable why the "definitive" versions of BOTH the S.E.5a, and even the Sopwith Dolphin, had DIRECT DRIVE Hissos for power. (The direct drive Hisso powered Dolphins were ready at the very end of 1918, too late to see service in WW I, though.)

Hope this bit-o-info helped you out-and now you'll know why some early model S.E.5a's have HUGE four bladed clockwise props on them-and also why it looks like Sopwith Dolphins in WW I wartime photos have "wrong way" props on them as well!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!