Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Covering and Finishing a Vintage Era Plane

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Covering and Finishing a Vintage Era Plane

Old 05-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering and Finishing a Vintage Era Plane

Iam working on a scale model of the 1910 Curtiss Hudson Flier. I am vacillating on the best way to cover and finish the plan. The wings are actually in separate sections and I have prototyped up the lower center section so I could work on the undercarriage. Now I am working on the wings and will have to come to a decision on the finish pretty soon.

I initially thought of using SolarTex Antique for a slightly translucent look with maybe a light coat of paint over that to give the covering some depth because the colored fabric is so perfect. Another option is that that Icover it with SolarTex natural and paint it.

Any suggestions are welcome including any tips in adding any scale appearance to the covering. (I will be using simulated rib stitching.)

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82980.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1200450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40205.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	1200451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82112.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	1200452  
Old 05-17-2009, 06:08 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Covering and Finishing a Vintage Era Plane

Looks fascinating so far! I'd suggest Solartex natural (if you want to go with solartex) with a polyurethene + stain finish. Hand painting with a (very) slightly yellowed PU will give a nice irregularity to the covering. I went a bit overboard on the undersides of my Snipe wings but on my upcoming CI I plane to tone it down a bit.

Experiment, experiment, experiment until you get just the shade and effect you want.

And please continue posting photos of your build!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

A coat of Krylon Crystal Clear Matte might do what you want. I love solartex. I know that clear polyurethane will yellow fairly quickly in the sun.
Walt
Old 05-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Chevelle

Both good suggestions. I think I will go with the natural. At least I can cover it. (It isn't like a "normal" plane. Covering is not the last thing you do. It there is a lot that can only be built when the plane is assembled and it would be better covered.)

Any additional weathering/detailing suggestions would be appreciated. Below is the look I am going for with maybe a tinge more yellow.

(Thanks Glen. I will be putting up a fill build thread. Look for it in the scratch build section.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15456.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1200620  
Old 05-17-2009, 09:08 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Most likely the plane was covered with Natural Irish linen. This is white in color but not bright white. See this color chart for some contrasts.

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=what+color+...sp%3Fft%3DHome

Over the linen is nitrocellulose. Its this coating that gives the fabric its tint. The exposure to UV rays of the sun "age" the linen depending on the length of the exposure. Take a look at a Wright flier as a good example of a period aircraft.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:31 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: Walt Thyng
I know that clear polyurethane will yellow fairly quickly in the sun.
Sounds perfect!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:22 AM
tom czenthe

I used instant coffee to stain Sig Koveral wit buterate dope on top.  Mix instant coffee to the color you want and rub it on with a soft cloth in the direction you want to show streaking and top with a sealer (dope, polyU etc.)

I did this on a Neiuport 11 and it is very realistic looking.