Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
RAF P-38 Colo(u)rs???  Help Please >

RAF P-38 Colo(u)rs??? Help Please

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

RAF P-38 Colo(u)rs??? Help Please

Old 06-20-2003, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RAF P-38 Colo(u)rs??? Help Please

Hello all!

Can someone in this world wide collection of aviation intelligentsia and repository of historical information confirm for me whether the early versions of the P-38s that were sold/given to the RAF were painted in the standard Sand/Spinach/Sky scheme or (hopefully) were the bottoms of these evaluation aircraft painted yellow?

TIA
Tom
Old 06-20-2003, 01:50 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RAF P 38

Tom, I may have an answer for this evening ( EDST).. I have a couple of books on strickly RAF colors and markings. I will check for ya.. BobH.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:33 PM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Tom, in many years of perusing books and magazines on WW2 subjects I have never seen an RAF "castrated Lightning" with anything other than the typical sky undersides. Yellow was generally reserved for the undersurfaces of prototypes which, of course, the P-38s were not. Good luck with your search.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:31 PM
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I could find was here....just scroll down the page:
http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/URG/p38.htm

Although the British originally planned to buy the P-38, the "Lightning I" and Lightning II" versions they ordered did not have superchargers or counter rotating props. I believe there was a ban on the export of superchargers by the US. As such, it was considered too underpowered by the RAF and was sent back to the US...I think there was about 150 of them. It was the British that gave the name "Lightning" to the P-38 (the USAAC wanted to name it the "Atlanta").
Old 06-20-2003, 11:39 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RAF P-38

Tom, I have searched my RAF books and have found nothing on the P-38.. Most likely because it wasn't a standard British fighter. However I did find lots on the P-51, Curtis AC and The Aircobra, which the Brits used. All those planes used the standard RAF paint schemes and no yellow unders. I do find references to several AC with Yellow undersurfaces but these are Prototype planes only and all are RAF Mfg's. That all I could find.. hope it helps BobH.