Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Fabric Covering Does the weave show or not??? >

Fabric Covering Does the weave show or not???

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Fabric Covering Does the weave show or not???

Old 06-20-2003, 01:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fabric Covering Does the weave show or not???

This thread ;(http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...624&forumid=78) got me thinking.

How many of you feel that a fabric finish should look like fabric when it's finished and why?

I ask because when my learned masters at Parks College taught me how to make fabric taut for flying machines, I would have been flunked if any of the weave shown through. The goal was to make the smoothest shiniest finish for the fastest airplane for the customer.

Even the restored cub I worked on in the 70's had a finish that looked like monocote because of the 17 coats of hand rubbed dope.

So why finish to an unfinished finish?

Tia :
Old 06-20-2003, 02:05 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default fabric look.

I think it depends on what "fabric look" means.. I know that on a pt 19 or f4u for example.. the weave is completely filled..same applies to many other fabric planes..but... there is a "Look" (for lack of a better term)..to fabric that is different than looking at metal. You have the pinking tape which gives texture to the surface.. and depending on the transparency of the paint.. you can see some weave.. tho its often below the surface.. and it depends on the period one is modeling. Early fabric planes didnt have the weave filled to the extent that the surface was completely smooth and even..
Its a good question.. and just goes to show that people shouldn't take a finish for granted but should study the full scale they are modeling to see what it should look like... just my thoughts.. BobH.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:33 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with BobH on this.
#1. As you go thru the aviation timetable you will find the finishes varying from "none", to "sealed with weave very apparent". On up to, whatever finish was applied, being "sealed with weave filled"
#2. Speaking from the scale enthusiast perspective, the fabric finish should look like the finish of the full-scale airplane you are replicating.
I highly doubt that the restored Cubs finish looked like the factory finish, but if you were using it for what you model, then it would be appropriate to duplicate that finish on your model.
A lot of the WW1 era, full size replica, aeroplanes do not have an appropriate fabric finish. (Not in the way of color but in fabric weave & texture.)
#3 If your not interested in a scale perspective then experiment with filling the weave until you like the appearance. I think most will agree that the fabric needs some type of sealing coat.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:29 PM
My Feedback: (25)

Rule of thumb...
If you can't see it on the full scale... You shouldn't be able to see it on the model.

-Mustang51
Old 06-21-2003, 02:20 AM
My Feedback: (80)

I grew up next to a family that flew a '55' Piper Tripacer. Had many exciting flights in it as a kid. I have personally helped re-cover a '49' Aeronica Champ. You could tell that these were fabric covered. It matters on the plane you want to re-create. BobH nailed it.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:26 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fabric Weave

Most all aircraft fabric refinishing manuals will tell to that a properly filled finish is one where the weave is slightly evident. However, if an Oshkosh quality showplane has that 30 coat handrubbed (wet sanded) finish then by all means replicate it. Remember, more dope is more weight!