Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Spanish Bucker Jungmann Paint Scheme

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Spanish Bucker Jungmann Paint Scheme

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:16 PM
gallen
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spanish Bucker Jungmann Paint Scheme

I am building a 35% scale Spanish Bucker Jungmann (i.e. CASA 1.131), and I would really like to finish it in the Spanish Air Force colors, like the Hendon example. However, I have been unable to locate any color specifications for Spanish Air Force schemes. I have contacted the Hendon Museum folks, but they have lost the paint records associated with this aircraft. Can anyone help?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33308.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1210893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95188.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1210894  
Old 06-03-2009, 04:02 AM
jjscott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spanish Bucker Jungmann Paint Scheme

I'll take a wild guess at this based on dabbling with plastic models.  The Germans sent various aircraft to Spain during the Spanish Civil War.  These, it seemed, were in original German military paint schemes.  They were then remarked with Spanish insignia.  Speculate that these planes needed repainting and touchup, so that the Spanish continued with the original colors.

This suggests the Jungmann would have been painted in RLM grey 02, either originally or as a repaint.  Here is a link to an early Bf-109 in that color.  The major model paint companies have this color and it would be stocked in a large model shop in the plastic section.  Mfgr's = Testors Model Master, Tamiya, etc.  It could then be color matched for your plane.  It's also possible some research on the plastic model forums will yield some accurate answers.

http://www.modelingmadness.com/scott.../109/109v1.htm

Jim
Old 06-04-2009, 04:10 AM
greenbaron

I guess you already know some of this, but just in case...

Germany sent to Spain 50 Bucker Jungmann, most of then with the 105 CV Hirth engine. Over the years, CASA built 500 more, as Casa 1131, all with the 125 CVTigre G-IV, being externally the main difference the vent holes in the cowl. Casa planes had (still have) the big hole in the rigth side and Bucker in the left side, looking from in front of the plane.

There are some examples (at least I remember one) in the Spanish Museo del Aire, near Madrid. They usually are very cooperative with modelers and should be able to answer you about the colours (
info@aire.org)

The Infante de Orleans Foundation has some examples in flying condition. They are very enthusiastic about everything aviation related, and have a very good relationship with modelers. It's not uncommon they fly over a RC field near their aerodromewhen there is some modeling exhibition (Two years ago, one CASA 1131 broke the formation over the field, dived and did a beatiful roll 10 meters high..) You can reach them at [email protected]

I hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:34 AM
gallen

Greenbaron,  thanks for the great leads. 
Old 04-02-2010, 08:03 AM
guiller

Hello at all:

My name is Guillermo, I live in a little village next to FIO and I´m member . If you want I can take some photos of details and general photos
Old 04-03-2010, 10:36 AM
dabrown

Any more information available about your CASA 1.131? Are plans available?

I've been working on drawings for a 40 percent Jungmann for a year or so now a Bu 131 B and hope to start next winter building. But, I can see myself going down a long, difficult path.

Dave

Name:	Da83470.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1410803  
Old 04-03-2010, 06:16 PM
FIGHTERACEX
My Feedback: (6)

Here's mine, not much help to you though.

Name:	Jh16000.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1411118  
Old 04-04-2010, 08:53 AM
dabrown

Ran across some photos of a Jungmann from FIO on Airliners.net. You've probably already seen, but may be of some help.

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...nct_entry=true

Dave

Name:	Xv64535.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1411587  
Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 PM
gallen

I did follow the lead provided by Greenbaron. That led me to a museum in Barcelona that owns and operates a vintage Spanish built Bucker Jungmann, EC-FUU. My contact there provided me with a copy of a page from the 1967 Spanish Air Force manual for their Buckers, specifying the paint scheme in terms of RAL numbers. RAL is a European color standard. I purchased the relevant color chips from RAL. Comparing them to the FS chips provides excellent matches to all colors, and all the necessary colors are available for WarbirdColors as stock items! It could not be easier.

Getting accurate 3-views was probematic, however. I found nothing suitable. Given that I had access to an uncovered full scale Spanish built Jungmann and a partial set of both German and Spanish factory drawings (flying surfaces only) from my friend Matt Chapman, I decided to make a set myself. I used ModelCAD, which I found really easy to use, and quite intuitive. I had Matt and the director of the Barcelona museum authenticate the drawings, so I think they are quite accurate. I also had them appropriately approved for AMA and Top Gun scale competition. I have attached these 5-view drawings as JPEG files. I also sent a copy as a PDF file to Bucker.Info, Steve Beavers' fabulous Bucker web site.

Matt and I are both building 35% models of my design. Matt is actually ahead of me. He plans to début his model at this years' Top Gun. He has chosen a really cool scheme, and is just finishing it up. I plan to have mine ready for the Scale Masters as a Team Scale entry, with my pilot and brother-in-law, Dorin Luck at the sticks. We do need to qualify, however! Mine will be in Spanish Air Force colors as EC-FUU.

I have not decided what to do about publishing the plans. I published my other three designs in MAN. I really enjoyed the process, and feel I was fairly compensated. However, the character of all the modeling magazines has changed, and construction articles are no longer considered much of a feature. I thought about starting a build thread for this model. I have over 100 construction photos. I could have the plans copied at Kinkos, and make them available directly form me as hard copy. However, I am not sure hawking plans if this forum would be appropriate. I thought about making them available as a digital file, but then thought I ought to meke the pirates at least go to the trouble of purchasing and scanning the plans. In any event, I am not sure what to do, and I am open to any suggestions.

Name:	Pn35596.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1412525   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45022.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1412526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39845.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1412527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo38084.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1412528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny26666.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	1412529  
The following users liked this post:
Edhoward54 (10-10-2020)
Old 04-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great model. Looks like some of the work was a bit tedious?

Wish I could help you with the paint issue, but I can provide Rondels and lettering when the time comes. In vinyl or masks.

Charles
Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 AM
dabrown

Thanks for posting these drawings and those on Bucker.info. I may try to overlay the jpg files in my CAD program despite the fact that mine is a different airplane, I believe the rudder and cowling may be the only structural differences. The drawings I've used for reference are of unknown accuracy. Although I don't plan to compete, I just like to believe it's close enough to convince me.

No ideas about how to make the plans available either. It's too bad that the potential for someone profiting from your art precludes the resource from being available to fellow modelers.

A build thread would be definitely welcomed, at least by me...

Good luck at the Scale Masters.

Dave
Old 10-16-2010, 05:22 PM
gallen

Here are some photos of Matt's and my finished models. Matt finished his as G-BuCC. I opted for the Spanish Air Force scheme of EC-FUU. I am considering doing a build thread with attachments of some of the critical components, such as bulkheads and ribs.

Name:	Qo39640.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1517828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22959.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	1517829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62344.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1517830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44273.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1517831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn78900.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1517832  
Old 10-16-2010, 06:58 PM
TFF

Those are nice planes. Some how you need to produce the plans; its a great design. There was a modified one at Oshkosh this year.

Name:	Wu60683.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1517878  
Old 10-17-2010, 09:04 AM
dabrown

Two absolute beauties! Real works of art in building a challenging subject.

Definitely hope you do a build log. I'd be interested in some areas like aileron hinging, tail wheel installation, main gear struts, cabane strut mounting and cowling installation.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Dave
Old 12-02-2010, 08:46 AM
gordon_mcln
My Feedback: (2)

Gary,

I'm building your 1/3rd Junmeister and would like to add your new Jungmann to the hangar....SHould plans not be commerically available on printed format, perhaps you could provide them on disk in a DXF format, which could be printed at a local blueprinting shop.

I'd be interested in a set either way.

Regards,

Gordon
Old 12-06-2010, 07:50 AM
gordon_mcln

Gary,

After thinking about it, releasing plans in the form of DXF files would not allow you to protect your interest in the event it was copied. I'll watch this thread with interest in the event you do decide to release the plans. Thanks again for the effort in preparing your great plans.

Gordon
Old 12-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Oberst
Banned

What are you going to use for the covering? I really like working with Solartex, I was wondering if you were going to use it?

Pete
Old 01-17-2011, 09:53 AM
richard-vw

Hello Gary,

I am just starting to draw up plans for a Jungman that will be less than 1/3 scale.  I will scale it once I have finalized the engine.  One that is still on my list is the OS IL-300. 

Would there be any chance that you could provide the nice 3views that you sent to Bucker.info in a DXF format at all?  This would provide a very good starting point for my design.  Did your design use the same airfoil as the original or did you modify it to be fully symetrical?

A fellow is restoring one not far away from where I live which is what I will be modelling mine after.  This will allow me to get some good details and scale paint as well!

Thanks,

Richard
Old 01-18-2011, 04:42 AM
gallen

Hi Richard,

I used ModelCAD to produce the 5-views. I don't know if the file format is of use to you, but I have attached the file. Opps, it won't let me. Send me a private message with your e-mail, and I will send the file to you.

Gary
Old 02-09-2012, 06:39 AM
gordon_mcln

Hi Gary,

Just curious if you have plans availalbe for this Jungmann?

Let me know when you have a moment.

Regards,

Gordon
Old 10-10-2020, 04:27 AM
Edhoward54

Default Jumgmann paint scheme

Hi Gallen ,
I know you posted this 18 years ago but I wondered if you still had the 1967 details of the paint scheme you obtained from the museum .
I have a flying Jungmann which we are recovering after 30 years and want to restore it to its original Air Force paint scheme.
If you able to tell me the museum details as well , that would be very useful .
Many thanks
Ed Howard
Old 10-10-2020, 04:30 AM
Edhoward54

Hi Gallen ,
I have posted a message on the forum to you.
look forward to hearing from you
Ed