Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Ohio Dawn Patrol 2009

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)
View Poll Results: A poll
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Ohio Dawn Patrol 2009

Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohio Dawn Patrol 2009

Hey everyone, the 2009 Ohio Dawn Patrol is just over a month away! I wanted to give you an update on all the goodies.

I am pleased to announce that Glenn Torrance and Balsa USA will be in attendance again this year. Thanks to you both for making the trip.

Just like last year, we will be giving away the BUSA 1/4 scale kit to one of the registered pilots. Yes, all you have to do is come fly with us and you are in the pilot raffle! No tickets to buy. That's pretty good odds to win one of BUSA's nice kits.

We do have an (open to the public) raffle. The tickets will be on sale at the door for $1 each or 6 for $5. We have some great stuff. Included in this raffle is Campbell Hausfeld aircompressors and other various items with the Grand Prize comb GTM 1/4 scale Fokker D-VI kit with Zenoah 26ei (Hamilton Hobby).

Even if you don't leave with a prize, you will still enjoy the event. Last year we had late night bigscreen outdoor movies with popcorn. People really enjoyed it.

For those feeling the budget crunch, we have free camping, low reg. fees and reasonable priced food. Hope you can make it.

We will have someone there by Wed afternoon for you early birds. I know the guys that travel far like to get an early jump.

For more details on hotels, food, etc see the website. We also have pics and videos of last year.

www.ohiodawnpatrol.com

See you there!
Joe

What do you guys like best about an event like this?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25439.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1212127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28850.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1212128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10578.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1212129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62184.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1212130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71230.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1212131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38054.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1212132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92911.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1212133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60320.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1212134  

Old 06-04-2009, 10:51 PM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

Default RE: Ohio Dawn Patrol 2009

Hey Joe
What movie are you showing this year. I can send you up a copy of the "new, released last year not here " Red Baron moive in either german or english. I cant wait to see everyone at the event again this year.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Joe Westrich

There is a new Red Barron movie out??
Old 06-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Joe Westrich

Did P.J. get a WW1 plane yet?
Old 06-05-2009, 06:45 AM
bookmaker
My Feedback: (24)

We'll be there.

Dale , Rose and Dad
Old 06-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Horsepoweraviation
My Feedback: (50)

We are looking forward to seeing you guys again!!How about Rose is she flying this year?

ORIGINAL: bookmaker

We'll be there.

Dale , Rose and Dad
Old 06-05-2009, 08:20 AM
bookmaker

The intent is to have her Camel ready to go. It only needs the tail glued on and the engine mounted. We plan to install a Saito 90 twin. If we get it ready, she will probably fly it, (with my assistance).

Dale
Old 06-05-2009, 10:12 AM
BigD50
My Feedback: (1)

It will be great to see Rose fly her camel at our event tis year. I am looking forward to seeing all the pilots back from last and hopefully alot of new ones. It is the Ohio Dawn Patrols goal to have lots of fun , meet  new freinds and have a weekend of flying and socializing that you don"t forget. Looking forwad to seeing you there.

Darrell       
Old 06-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Horsepoweraviation

Calling on all Dawn Patrol Aces. I just came back from a super event..."Wingsfor Kids" in Tom Sawyer Park, Louisville, Kentucky. The people really enjoyed the Dawn Patrol show!!!. Billy Thompson and Art Shelton did a Dawn Patrol Demo couple of years ago. We really need to grow this event because it is a awesome chairity for the kids! I am sure you will read and see how this event turned out in the near future. All the pilots,including Mike Barbie, are expected to be at the ODPSHOW. We all had a great timeflying for the public...again... what a greatcause. ODP will have a special treat to our public when these guys show up at our air show. Final note: We did this with only 6 planes.....How much fun are we going to have with30-40 pilots/planes? This is a event should inspire us all. This is what I want for the Ohio Dawn Patrol........... we are heading in the right direction lets keep it strong! See you all in JULY!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Highflyer2
My Feedback: (1)

John & John from Atlanta will be driving up.  Now if i can only finish my 1/3 scale GTM DRI ontime.   This is starting out to be a great summer.  Spending 4days at the Mac Hodges field at Warbirds over Georgia and then a month later at Ohio Dawn Patrol.  It doesn't get much better .

John
Old 06-09-2009, 12:05 PM
bookmaker

John, if you guys pass a big white whale with a camper and airplane trailer heading north on I-75, wave at us.  We may go that way this year.

Dale
Old 06-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Horsepoweraviation

Hey George,
I heard a rumor you have in your possession a killer WW1 gunship!!!!! Please confirm and if so, are you bringing it to ODP?
ORIGINAL: TSHARK203

Hey Joe
What movie are you showing this year. I can send you up a copy of the "new, released last year not here " Red Baron moive in either german or english. I cant wait to see everyone at the event again this year.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 AM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

I HAVE IT IN BOTH THE ENGLISH AND GERMAN VERSIONS. I CAN BRING IT UP FOR THE FLICK. I JUST WATCHED IT AGAIN. IT IS NOT SO HISTORICAL CORRECT BUT IT IS STILL A GOOD MOVIE.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:46 PM
WinterHawke

Evening, guys

Just back from up north after attending the Ron Busch Memorial in Menominee, MI - the Balsa USA Scale Warbird Classic Event. Got a chance to shake the cobwebs out of my olde Triplane, and start sorting out my Eastbourne Monoplane. Had a great time at our first Fly-In of the season, and now are VERY much looking forward to this year's ODP !!!!

Got a chance to see the completed DH-4, which Balsa USA introduced at Toledo. While we didn't get to see it fly (a wee bit too windy for a newish important prototype), we did see some photos on Dave Lewis's computer of it in the air, and it looks great. Dave and Mark Enderby both commented on how nice it also flies!! Hopefully we'll get a chance on seeing it in Ohio (I believe they're first going to be out at Warbirds over Delaware the week or so before ODP):

What's great about these events?

The people, the planes and in the case of the Ohio Dawn Patrol, the venue - I've heard nothing but compliments about the site - folks like the parklike setting a lot! Hopefully we'll have a good turnout this year - my entry is "in the mail" even as I type!!

And EVERYONE is very much looking forward to that huge Clydesdale the lads are building over on the Giant Scale Forum!!!:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8453895/tm.htm

Can't wait to see it in person!!!

'til later,

Lee McDuffee
Old 06-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Mode One

Why is this thread considered a Poll?  Was this a mistake?
Old 06-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Lee,

The DH4 looks great. Hope I can live long enough to get one built???

Who's that old man standing behind you, Norm??????

See ya in Ohio and then in Indy and then back to Ohio???

steve p
www.hoosierdawnpatrol.com
Old 06-18-2009, 10:54 PM
WinterHawke

Evening, Sir Percy

Yeah, that elder statesmen was Norm Kaz - he had a bit of unluck on Friday before Helen and I arrived, and was putting the landing gear back on his big 1/3 scale Fokker D.VII when we saw them. He managed to get everything back together, and put in a couple of nice flights with his plane over the weekend - in fact, he won "Best Military" with the D.VII.

Helen snagged a couple pics:

We spotted for each other on Saturday, and on Sunday I even got the opportunity to fly his D.VII around a bit - that is one nice flying airplane!!

Yep, we're now looking forward to Ohio, then Muncie, then Ohio (to name the three large WWI events in the Ohio/Indiana area) - and speaking of Muncie, I've got my application for the Hoosier Dawn Patrol heading your way! VERY much looking forward to the events this season.

Just gotta sort out my new Eastbourne, and figure out why the motor only runs for a few seconds at a time now. Darn electrics, trying to teach an olde dog new tricks. Heck, I haven't learned most of the old tricks yet!!!!

Very best regards,

Lee McD
Old 06-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Steve Percifield

What's up with Norm and bandaids?? Stick his handinthe prop again?

Wish I was a faster builder. I'm trying to get a 1/3 scale N-17 covered and flyable (meaning no detail) by ODP. Not sure I'll make it, so will probably just fly the old stuff. I do have a new SR Eindecker flying, tho...., I'm always behind!!!!

It's been a long spring, really looking forward to seeing all and get some flying in. I'm in withdrawl.

sp
Old 06-20-2009, 03:59 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As this thread is a poll, what are we voting on?
Old 06-21-2009, 10:42 AM
vogel605

Hello everyone,
There's no poll, just a simple oversight. Sorry for any confusion. Have a great day.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Joe Westrich

Lee, I didn't know you owned a plane. I thought you just flew everyone elses

Gary Denzler built a new D-VII for the event so you should get plenty of stick time.

Can't wait to see that new BUSA plane fly at ODP.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:02 AM
WinterHawke

ORIGINAL: Joe Westrich

Gary Denzler built a new D-VII for the event so you should get plenty of stick time.

Can't wait to see that new BUSA plane fly at ODP.
NICE!!!

Yeah, got both my olde Fokker Dr.1 flying as well as the new Eastbourne electric - just gotta sort out the power side of them new-fangled electrical thingies!!

Actually spent a fair amount of time prior to the BUSA Fly-In just getting a shelf made for the van so that I could haul the airplanes around in the minivan without mangling them!! (sure do miss the old full size van for airplanes - sure don't miss it's gas tank, though!!!).

Looking forward to the ODP!!!

Lee
Old 06-30-2009, 10:53 AM
WinterHawke

ORIGINAL: Joe Westrich

. . . . . . . and another thing . . . . . . . .

Contrary to some vicious rumours floating around that should be beneath me (if there was any room down there, that is) - in fact, I DO happen to own aeroplanes that even fly - as a matter of fact I've reached a pinnacle of sorts with my fleet now consisting of TWO on-topic machines which should be at ODP.

Besides my venerable (some sorta french word meaning old) GP Fokker Dr.1, I think we've sorted out the bugs in my new electric Eastbourne Monoplane. Turns out that someone's soldering techniques are substantially less than adequate on occasion. FINALLY tracked down the intermittant motor cuts - after looking everywhere for some sort of battery/switch/esc problem, it turns out I had a bad solder connection on the motor!! Tried to keep the heat off the motor as much as possible while soldering it, and succeeded all too well.

Got four flights on it this weekend, all with no problems whatsoever - and finally had an opportunity to try it off of short grass, and take-offs and landings are no problem either (so long as I don't get too slow on landing - lotsa drag on all those bracing wires!!).

Gonna be fun with this one at ODP - particularly looking forward to the early morning and late evening, with hopefully calm air.

See y'all in a few weeks!!

'til later,

Lee

p.s. - also looking forward to everyone else's new flying machines - been some nice photos so far of some of them posted on a few threads - can't wait to see them in person!!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Steve Percifield

Don't let them bother you, LEE. You can come to the HDP and fly other peoples aeroplanes as much as you want and we won't hassle you at all, very much.

sir percy
www.hoosierdawnpatrol.com
Old 06-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Joe Westrich

Good..... I think you should reciprocate by allowing everyone to have one shot at flying your plane Me first!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.