Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Remote glow - onboard glow - ??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Remote glow - onboard glow - ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:23 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Remote glow - onboard glow - ??

For my SSW D.III project, I have to use something other than sticking my glow battery through a hole in the cowl.
It is a small (1/6th scale) model and there isn't much extra space inside. There isn't much room for panels to control a system and pulling hatches off periodically for system maintenance is unappealing.
What are your experiences & opinions on the various options??
Old 08-08-2009, 09:56 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Remote glow - onboard glow - ??

Allan, you might want to try this remote glow starter. I've used several with good success. You can mount the remote location anywhere such as the cockpit floor or inside the cowling. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBC35&P=ML
Old 08-09-2009, 12:12 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of the remote glow extensions on my Legionnaire and it works perfectly. The remote location is in the cockpit. I will say however that a lot of these extension kits are of very poor quality. I use this one from OS:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVBC9&P=7
Old 08-09-2009, 02:45 AM
Teus

If you consider onboard glow you must have a look at the [link=http://www.microsens.at/rcflight/glow2lp.htm]Glow2LP or Glow4LP[/link] units.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:08 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

I have one of the remote glow extensions on my Legionnaire and it works perfectly. The remote location is in the cockpit. I will say however that a lot of these extension kits are of very poor quality. I use this one from OS:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVBC9&P=7
+1 on this setup................i no longer buy OS engines, but some of their accessories are top notch.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:48 AM
abufletcher

What I like about this OS version is that there is a piece that clips very firmly over just the tip of the glow plug rather than a cheap cap that slips over the whole glow plug. Also the wires are substantially shielded. I tried one of the cheapo units and it literally fell apart.

BTW, another option that works well and that I'm using on my Snipe is a very simple "pig-tail" that attaches to a standard glow starter. Someone here on RCU suggested this. I used one end from an old glow starter charger (the end with the metal bit that clips into the starter) and then put alligator clips on the two wires. One alligator clip is attached to the top of the glow plug and the other to a "ground" position anywhere close to it, such as one of the cooling fins on the cylinder head. This works perfectly for me.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:12 AM
summerwind

ZACTLY.......OS's clip on is the best i have ever seen.
i also use Sullivan's new Glow Driver, but clipped the caps off right after the first one went south, and replaced with the OS.

it also looks more reallistic too as in has that plug boot look to it.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:11 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://leisurercmodels.com/id14.html
Old 08-09-2009, 11:56 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I honestly prefer to have on-board glow. it is clean, and easy, and you do not have to have the ni-starter. The biggest benefit, especially with the 4-strokes, is you can get your idle set very low and it really improves how your engine runs. Not much of a chance of a deadstick. Which is very important with scale WW1 models.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:52 PM
abufletcher

On-board glow seems like a good option for 1/4 scale and larger. But on a 1/6 scale WWI fighter, things are awfully tight as it is without having to find space for a second battery. On the other hand, the purist could argue that deadsticks were a part of WWI flying. Why shouldn't WE have to experience this as well!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:22 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I know we have been here before but I believe there is plenty of room for a battery in 1/6th scale. The battery does not have to be that big and the units are very small. As for going so far as enduring dead sticks because the "real" aircraft did, I do not want to bust up my models unnecessarily. This is just my opinion though. I really feel, once you try on board systems you would not want to go back.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:37 PM
allanflowers

I would prefer to skip the dead stick aspect of WW-I also. On the other hand, space is very tight and access (if necessary) to the battery and control panel is a problem. Specifically what access is actually needed anyway?

I have some specific questions on the posts so far.

OS Booster Terminal Kit:
I assume that the OS Booster Terminal kit has a receptacle for a regular glow starter, except it can be located in the cockpit or elsewhere??

GLOW2F:
I can't get the pdf manual for the GLOW2LP but I assume it is the same as the GLOW4FP except for the number of plugs it would drive??
This unit is a controller for the system and requires leads as well as a battery unit?

Leisure RC Models Glow Driver:
I assume there is a little microchip in the Y-connector that controls the system and can be set for different points?
The battery seems to be included in this one. Is that a C-cell??
I don't see an on-off switch for this one. Does it get turned on by the transmitter or what?

I want to thank everybody for their thoughts. Keep them coming. I still don't understand this thing yet.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:47 PM
abufletcher

I would prefer to skip the dead stick aspect of WW-I also.
I wasn't seriously advocating for deadsticks. I was just referring to the historical fact that one of the requirements for obtaining a pilot's certification back in WWI was to take off, climb to a safe height, and then switch off the engine and glide back down to a landing.

On the other hand, space is very tight and access (if necessary) to the battery and control panel is a problem. Specifically what access is actually needed anyway?
Well any battery needs to be charged and I would imagine that means removing the battery for the on-board glow after every day's flying (or adding a separate charging jack connection for it). That sounds like a hassle to me. But then on a competition-grade model it might well be a good investment.

OS Booster Terminal Kit:
I assume that the OS Booster Terminal kit has a receptacle for a regular glow starter, except it can be located in the cockpit or elsewhere??
That's correct. It's in the metal "cup" seen in the photo on the link.

BTW, I was under the impression that people set up the on-board glow so that the battery only switched on a low throttle.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:53 AM
OldScaleGuy

ORIGINAL: allanflowers

Leisure RC Models Glow Driver:
I assume there is a little microchip in the Y-connector that controls the system and can be set for different points?
The battery seems to be included in this one. Is that a C-cell??
I don't see an on-off switch for this one. Does it get turned on by the transmitter or what

Yes, there is a microchip on a small pc board that controls the system. It sets the points automatically. When you switch on your tx and rx, you simply raise the throttle to full open for a second or two and bring it back to idle. The system will then light your plug. The glow plug will go off at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle and be off at higher throttle settings. When the throttle is lowered the plug will be powered on again. This continues until the tx and rx and switched off. The battery is a 1900 mah C-cell included with the system. I fly all day on a single charge without any problems at all. The on-off switch is controlled by the rx and tx, there is no seperate switch needed. It is a simple, reliable system that also adds an amount of safety by not having to hook up a glow driver.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:05 AM
abufletcher

Sounds perfect! This is a silly question from someone who knows NOTHING about electrics, but how do we charge the battery?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:21 AM
OldScaleGuy

Personally i have two ways of charging, depending on the plane and how it is set up. One, you can splice in a lead that goes to the battery and use a Deans connector or one end of a servo extension, then plug it in to your charger. Two, use alligator clips to the tabs on the battery. There are probably other ways of charging as well but these are the two methods i use, both work fine.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:25 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

Personally i have two ways of charging, depending on the plane and how it is set up. One, you can splice in a lead that goes to the battery and use a Deans connector or one end of a servo extension, then plug it in to your charger. Two, use alligator clips to the tabs on the battery. There are probably other ways of charging as well but these are the two methods i use, both work fine.
As with all things electric, I'm confused. I do leave my Rx batteries in the model and charge them via the lead on the switch. But that's the Rx battery. The way this on-board glow is setup, would I just do the same thing and this would end up charging both the Rx battery AND the glow battery?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 AM
OldScaleGuy

Not exactly. Charging through your rx switch will typically only charge your rx battery. The on board glow can be left in the plane but needs to be charged seperately. It is a single cell 1.2v battery. Your rx battery pack usually is 4.8v or 6.0v. Perhaps some pictures would help.... ?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:10 AM
allanflowers

Abu is asking all the same questions I have. If I go with onboard glow, I would want a charging jack hidden in the cockpit or somewhere to avoid having to pull off hatches, etc.
Another question is how does onboard glow affect the starting and handling procedures? I always start by putting my finger over the exhaust and turning the engine to prime it. Then I hook up the glow battery and start it up. I assume the priming would have to be done at high throttle setting anyway but is there an accidental start up problem in other situations?
Also, some systems I have seen on the internet have indicator lights. How necessary is that?
Thanks again for the help and information.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:27 PM
OldScaleGuy

A hidden charging jack is not a problem, you can put a charging jack any place you would put a charging jack for the rx pack. The system does not activate until you push the throttle to full open and then return it to idle. I have not heard of any accidental start ups but any thing is possible. The indicator light is common on most systems. When the LED is on the system is sending a signal to the glow plug to light. I have one plane set up where the pilots microphone is the LED. It was my wifes idea and it worked out well. You can hide them any in a cockpit or not use it if it is too much trouble. I do have one plane set up where i do not use the LED. I can tell it is sending a signal when i rotate the prop and get a "bump" out the engine before starting.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM
teamscalepilot

I use the 42% on board glow in my GP RV-4 and Barron 55 twin. I use the batteries for nose weight instead of lead.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:12 PM
ballgunner

It might be worthwhile to check out the McDaniel on board glow system. The battery is not large and there is an on board charger available. I have a pumped OS120 FSIII inverted and access to the deep set plug is difficult
and removal of the starter can be downright dangerous. I also have Saito 91SGK that is upright but I don't want to cut a hole in the cowling. McDaniel is available from Sonictronics and are not the cheapest system available.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:50 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

I have been using a Centronics Flight Glow II for several years now as an onboard glow unit. It has been totally reliable. The link below has instructions and shows a wiring diagram. I soldered a set of leads with spare battery connector into the onboard glow wiring so I could use a charger rather than a wallwart.

http://www.c-tronicsinc.com/flightgl...ctions4-04.htm

Note that some chargers (AccuCycle Elite for instance - I use this one) do not work properly "edit - charging two batteries at the same time" on a common ground. The receiver battery and the on-board glow battery have a common ground. I actually disconnect the RX battery before charging it and the glow battery.

Brian
Old 08-11-2009, 05:50 PM
allanflowers

I found a good article on glow drivers. It covers most of the things you folks have already discussed.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_n8974269/

I am leaning toward this set up. It includes the battery, has a separate indicator and seems to have good features.
http://sonictronics.com/xcart/produc...cat=310&page=1

Thanks much! Any more ideas, please post before I buy anything.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:49 PM
abufletcher

I don't care much for the "tin foil cap" on that $80 system!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.