Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Gary Allen plans / authorized seller

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Gary Allen plans / authorized seller

Old 02-28-2010, 02:53 PM
dorjes
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gary Allen plans / authorized seller

I'm Gary Allen's brother in law and I'm also an attorney. It has come to my attention that Gary's plans for his 30% Tiger Moth and for his 1/4 scale fokker DVII are apparently being sold on the internet as CD rom files without Gary's permission. We are investigating to determine exactly what is being sold and who is doing it, but for example, the specs on the advertised CDroms for the Tiger Moth are EXACTLY the same as the specs for Gary's 30% Tiggie, down to 2282 square inches of wing area. One picture used in one of the ads is picture of the exact Tiger Moth that Gary and I have flown in Team Scale at Top Gun. Gary is rightfully upset about this if this is occurring, since the plans are copyrighted and since he made a deal with Model Airplane News to ink three of his plans, to copyright them and to sell them commercially, with Gary retaining rights to his designs. The only possible places to buy new copies of Gary's three plans, which are the 1/3 scale Bucker Jungmeister (86" wingspan), the 30% Tiger Moth (105" wingspan), and the 1/4 scale Fokker DVII (88"wingspan), are from Model Airplane News online store, or from Gary himself. Since Gary has chosen not to sell the plans directly, the only place to buy the plans new is to buy from MAN. The plans that Gary designed were drawn by Gary Allen and inked by Joe Demarco, as shown on each of the plans.

It appears to me that other designers' works may also be subject to this same scenario. Whether or not the sellers of these CDroms have received permission from the other designers to reproduce their designs, I don't know. I just know that Gary has given no such permission to have his designs reproduced on CDrom. If you respect Gary's work and the efforts and $$ expended by Model Airplane News originally in getting these plans inked and to market, then Gary asks that you consider the above before purchasing a Cdrom of plans of any of Gary's designs.

BTW, Gary didn't ask me to post this, but he agreed to allow me to do so on his behalf. I just have a problem with this going on in regard to Gary's work or with any other scale designer whose designs may be pirated for profit. Maybe one of the best ways to combat this is to make the buying public aware that this is happening.

Thanks, Dorin Luck

Old 02-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Champ-RCU
My Feedback: (132)

Default RE: Gary Allen plans / authorized seller

Why not shine the light on the bugger and name names.

Mark
Old 07-12-2013, 01:44 PM
JimTN2009

It is such a crime that anyone would steal copy righted plans of any designer. Gary is a very famous designer in the RC world of planes and everyone should boycot from buying these plans on CD Rom that have been pirated. Yes the public should be aware.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:14 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Unfortunately you see this stuff going on all the time on the BIG auction site with all the designers plans in paper and CD form. I have sent several of them messages asking if they had authorization and I either do not get a reply or they say they bought the rights I know Ziroli didn't sell the rights to 12 different people to market his designs on a auction site for a fraction of what he sells them for on his own site.

I mistakenly bought a set of Nelitz 33% J-3 Cub plans from a guy who was selling illegal copies years ago. Never again!!!
Anthony
Old 07-12-2013, 05:03 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I hate is that it scares designers away from sharing their hard work. Allen's Tiggy is one of the best RC scale planes I have seen.