Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Curtiss Condor by Laddie Mikulasko

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Curtiss Condor by Laddie Mikulasko

Old 03-07-2010, 11:34 PM
p61widowrc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curtiss Condor by Laddie Mikulasko

I was wondering if someone has built this model from the plans and articule found in the August 1993 Flying Models magazine. The articule is good, but there is some information that is missing or not clear. I thought maybe someone could clarify some of these areas. I'm just in the beginning stages of getting all my information together so there are no surprises. Thanks.
Bob
Old 03-11-2010, 07:07 AM
LADDIE

Default RE: Curtiss Condor by Laddie Mikulasko

ORIGINAL: p61widowrc

[font=''Courier New''][/font]I was wondering if someone has built this model from the plans and articule found in the August 1993 Flying Models magazine. The articule is good, but there is some information that is missing or not clear. I thought maybe someone could clarify some of these areas. I'm just in the beginning stages of getting all my information together so there are no surprises. Thanks.
Bob
Bob, if you want I should be able to help you.
Laddie Mikulasko
Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 PM
p61widowrc

Hi Laddie,
I missed your reply. Thanks for your help. I'm just trying to get familiar with the plans and what I need to do to cut a complete set of wing ribs. I see there are 4 W1 ribs that are 1/4 inch thk and 2 W1 ribs that are 3/16 inch thk and the rest are 1/16 inch thick. Are the 1/4 inch thk ribs the inside rib on each of the 4 wing halves? Are the 3/16 inch thk ribs the outer rib on each end of the top center wing panel? I'm confused on the tubing combinations on each wing. The instructions say the top center section gets the 3/8 inch O.D., so that means the top outer wing panels gets the 11/32 inch O.D. in front of the main spar. However, on the drawing in the middle to the right of the nacelle, it states the 3/8 inch O.D. and 11/32 inch O.D. combo. This looks to me to be for the bottom wing. Could you please straighten me out on this. Because of the dihedral in the bottom wing on each side of the center section, the tubing hole in the first 3 ribs must account for this dihedral and therefore each rib is different unless you used a hole that was larger than the tubing in all three ribs. How did you make you ribs to account for the dihedral? Am I reading the plans wrong on diherdral? Is there dihedral in just the bottom wing or both? Again thanks for any help you can give me. This is a beautiful plane and I really would like to build it.
Take care,
Bob
Old 04-18-2010, 08:52 AM
LADDIE

ORIGINAL: p61widowrc

Hi Laddie,
I missed your reply. Thanks for your help. I'm just trying to get familiar with the plans and what I need to do to cut a complete set of wing ribs. I see there are 4 W1 ribs that are 1/4 inch thk and 2 W1 ribs that are 3/16 inch thk and the rest are 1/16 inch thick. Are the 1/4 inch thk ribs the inside rib on each of the 4 wing halves? Are the 3/16 inch thk ribs the outer rib on each end of the top center wing panel? I'm confused on the tubing combinations on each wing. The instructions say the top center section gets the 3/8 inch O.D., so that means the top outer wing panels gets the 11/32 inch O.D. in front of the main spar. However, on the drawing in the middle to the right of the nacelle, it states the 3/8 inch O.D. and 11/32 inch O.D. combo. This looks to me to be for the bottom wing. Could you please straighten me out on this. Because of the dihedral in the bottom wing on each side of the center section, the tubing hole in the first 3 ribs must account for this dihedral and therefore each rib is different unless you used a hole that was larger than the tubing in all three ribs. How did you make you ribs to account for the dihedral? Am I reading the plans wrong on diherdral? Is there dihedral in just the bottom wing or both? Again thanks for any help you can give me. This is a beautiful plane and I really would like to build it.
Take care,
Bob
Hi Bob.
The root ribs on all outside wing panels are cut from 1/4†balsa sheet and the ribs at the aileron are 3/16â€.
As far as the tubing goes, the front tubing in the center section of top and the bottom wing should be 3/8†O.D. The tubing in each wing panel should be 9/32â€. Sorry for confusion.
The dihedral is accomplished by having 9/32†hole offset in first three W1 ribs. See the C-C, D-D and E-E views. Both wings have the same dihedral.
Good luck. Laddie.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:37 AM
p61widowrc

Thanks Laddie.
That helps a lot.
Take care,
Bob
Old 05-15-2010, 01:53 PM
tom czenthe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other "Condor"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lj24194.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	489.9 KB
ID:	1436471   Click image for larger version

Name:	zx70777.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	4.45 MB
ID:	1436472  
Old 06-02-2010, 06:23 PM
ibindn
My Feedback: (2)

Hi All,
Does any one know a kit cutter for this airplane? I all ready have the plans... Bulkheads and ribs would sure help make this build easier ....
Old 06-02-2010, 10:41 PM
p61widowrc

IBINDN
Do you have the set of plans drawn up by Laddie or are yours a different scale? I agree that a cutter's kit would make it easier, especially if it was only the ribs. Maybe it is just a matter of requesting it.
Bob
Old 06-03-2010, 08:36 PM
ibindn

My mistake,
Now that I have looked at them again the plans I have are drawn by Robert Sweitzer sold by vintage RC/plans. I thought these were the only plans available... I will have to check Laddies plan out...
Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 PM
p61widowrc

I did some checking on the website for Vintage R/C plans and can not find any plans for the Curtiss Condor. I'm not sure we are talking about the same plane. The plane I'm interested in was featured in the August 1993 Flying Models magazine. The Curtiss Condor is also shown in the May 2010 issue of Model Aviation on page 21. This model is larger and has been built with floats. Don't know if or what plans were used to create this beauty.
Bob
Old 06-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These Kit Cutters come highly recommended from another thread on this forum...check em out...customer satisfaction is good, great communication and they stand behind what they say...

www.manzanolaser.com
Old 06-05-2010, 05:42 PM
ibindn

The plans I have are of the one in Model Airplane news. 81 inch wing span, uses two .40s , fixed gear. I bought these plan back in the ninties from the original owner , Many moons ago. I think the plan service had been sold twice since then... I will have to look at the other one that you mentioned.. I didn't know about that one...
Old 06-05-2010, 10:36 PM
p61widowrc

What Model Airplane News issue was it in? I have a large collection of MAN magazines and would like to see the plans and articule on your set of plans. If anyone else knows of a different set of plans, please jump in on the discussion. The more the merrier. Thanks for getting back to me. Bob
Old 06-06-2010, 09:01 PM
ibindn

I don't recall the issue, It was on the cover of MAN in the mid seventys I think. I do recall that it was built by someone in Roseville Ca. I will look for it, I'm sure I saved it....
Old 10-07-2011, 08:29 AM
bradpaul

Does anybody know where I can find a set of 1/4 scale plans for a Curtis Wright AT32 Condor?

I picked up a copy of AIR Enthusiast (six) at a local antique mall and it had an extensive article on the Condor. It would be a great next project.

Brad
Old 10-07-2011, 10:18 AM
p61widowrc

Hi Brad,
What is the date of the AIR ENTHUSIAST magazine? I don't have 1/4 scale plans, but I have an order into Kit Cutters for Laddie's "Condor." It was suppose to be cut in Sept, but I haven't heard anything about when it might be done.
Take care,
Bob
Old 10-07-2011, 11:52 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: LADISLAV

[quoteBob, if you want I should be able to help you.
Laddie Mikulasko

I LOVE this place. You CANNOT get a better answer than that! What a gentleman!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:57 PM
bradpaul

AIR Enthusiast is an old british publication........... The issue with the Condor was #6 was March June 1978.

The publisher is William Caple & Co., Ltd. Chevron Press Liecester England.

I found this one at a Antique Mall. BTW there is a copy out on eBay of that issue:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIR-ENTHUSIA...ht_2466wt_1139

Brad
Old 10-07-2011, 04:05 PM
havillandhornet

This site is awesome for finding articles - it includes an index for Air Enthusiast and Air International magazine amongst others: http://www.theaviationindex.com

Not sure how many articles it has on the condor, but t has given me some good leads for the Hornet i'm building at the moment

http://www.theaviationindex.com/airc...d-dh103-hornet
Old 10-07-2011, 09:30 PM
ibindn

Hi All,
Good to see there'still some interest in the Condor. I sure would like to start building one, but have to many started projects going right now. Think I'll look for that old magazine. I know I still have it.. I will post a picture as soon as I find it...
Old 10-29-2011, 05:10 PM
bradpaul

Laddie was kind enough to have a set of his plans blown up to 1/8 scale. Can you say big? This will be a multi year project, but well worth it.
I was thinking of the American Airlines colors, but some of the others look interesting.
Brad

Name:	Ur52408.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1680300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84340.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1680301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87928.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1680302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82279.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1680303  
Old 10-29-2011, 07:59 PM
p61widowrc

When you say big, just what does 1/8 scale equate to and what size engines are we looking at. I still have not heard from Kit Cutters on my Condor that I ordered the ribs, etc for. It would be nice to know the status.
Bob
Old 10-30-2011, 04:36 AM
bradpaul

At 1/8 scale the wingspan will be 10' 3".  The fuselage will be 7'1" and the height will be 2'4".

As for engines I will wait until I see what the weight is and then use the appropriate brushless motors.

Brad

Old 10-30-2011, 05:08 AM
LADDIE

Brad, did you receive the drawings I sent you?
Good luck with building your Curtiss Condor.
Here is my Curtiss held by airline pilot.
Laddie

Name:	Xv63014.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	1680384  
Old 10-30-2011, 05:44 AM
p61widowrc

Brad,
That is an awesome plane. It is hard to wrap my mind around a build like that. If you are seriously considering building this plane, more power to you and I hope you will include a build thread of it.
Bob

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.