Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Brian Taylor Spitfire Build MK1a - BUild Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Brian Taylor Spitfire Build MK1a - BUild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Rhilluk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brian Taylor Spitfire Build MK1a - BUild Thread

Hi There

Just started a build on this famous plan. Would anyone be interested in a build thread, or has it been done to death and I'll be wasting my time.

So far I have decided it is going to be electric. Hopefully with a sound system.

I've started on the wing tonight after spending a few hours cutting out the ribs. Idid this by tracing them to tracing paper and sticking this to the wood I was going to cut them out of with a glue stick.

Icut out the ribs using a scoll saw roughly within about 1/16 of the line, and then finished them off with sand paper. Ifound this really accurate and saved me about £70 in getting the laser cut parts.

So far Ihave got the centre section done, which is ribs, 1a 1b & 1c. This is where Ifound the first mistake on the plan. I couldn't quite get the ribs to all line up with the straight rear spar. When studying the cross section it shows a 1/4 spar being sanded to shape and fitting on to rib 1c by only going an 1/8 deep. The rib on the plan was showing a 1/4 inch. So modifying it slightly it all suddenly came together.

However the camera battery was flat, so Ihaven't managed to take any photos yet. But Iwill post some tomorrow.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 PM
spad

Default RE: Brian Taylor Spitfire Build MK1a - BUild Thread

Yep!
I'm in - got the later mark plan so interested to see how you get on.

Good luck and keep the pix coming - once the camera's recharged!

cheers
Rick
Old 03-23-2010, 05:17 AM
motfesg

There are a few on the RCScale builders site if you need some inspiration.

[link]http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/[/link]
Old 03-23-2010, 08:46 AM
semeraro

I vote for a build thread. I have the plans and parts (canopy and cowl) for the BT Mk1a and the BF-109e. I am going to build both when my building skills are up to it. So go ahead and post away. It might even inspire me to start my spitfire and post along too!

Regards,
Dave
Old 03-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Rhilluk

Thats good, I'm glas theres some interest. Semaro, the building isn't too had compared to other models Ihave built, Ithink the wing is probably the most difficult part of the build due its shape. It was the same with the Fullsize. When building straight or straight taper wings you get a nice flat area to sheet on top and you can make sure all the ribs are alinghed straight and if not use a flat edge to sand them all. The wing on the spit is elliptical straight on aswell as plan view. So I'm looking forward to sheeting. Haven't got that far.

I'm still undecided on whether to purchase the cowl or not. Imay shape something from balsa. Also the cooling of the motor is giving me some concern. Iwas thinking of ducting something from the carberettor back towards the motor and then ducted back to one of the radiators. But then it is all thought at the moment.

Which mark you going for SPAD, Mk XVI or PR.19
Old 03-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Rhilluk

Imanaged to get down the shed tonight to carry on building the wing. The first pictures shows the centre section Ibuilt last week and the small error on the plan which needs to be taken into account for any of you wanting to build this model too.

The wing is really thin compared to other models Ihave built, but then so was the fullsize, this is what made it so fast. The wing really does start to get thin past ribs no.6 and really really thin at 9 onwards. (there being 11 all together) ribs 10 and 11 need the hard wood spar sanded down to get the thinness.

The bottom spar can be laid flat on the table which makes bulding far easier. I've got the front bottom and spar in as you can see in the photos. Ihad to weight the wing down with paint tin and bricks to get it flat on the bench. Ithen went and did all the webbing to hold it in the shape required and hopefully next week Ican get the top 1/16 balsa skin in place.

You really need to make sure the wing is the right shape as this model is known to tip stall and any warp at the wing tip could help it tip stall even more.

Enjoy the pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32120.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1408584   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43926.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1408585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70409.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1408586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66193.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1408587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep85575.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1408588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne55707.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1408589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi83748.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1408590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qp51607.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1408591  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl90323.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1408592  
Old 03-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Rhilluk

Just a quick note to show you how Idid the spars. It need 1/4 x 1/4 spars at the front and 1/4 x 1/8 at the back. These were about 90p a strip down the LHS. So about £10 in total. Imanaged to get a 2.4 m by 6mm x 22mm strip of hard wood in the DIYstore for £2.50. Ithen cut the spars out of this using a basic jig thingy. Saved me a bit of dosh doing it this way.

Name:	Zx70000.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1408595  
Old 06-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Jethro

I am building a Mark IX and I have the Unitracts mechanisms and struts. Do you have any idea where to get a set of wheels? I am not suceeding using an internet search, but then I feel better about my building ability than my internet ability.

I saw you note on the hardwood spars, I did a similar trick to make the retract rails. Also I used spruce for the 1/8 by 1/4 spars at the back and tips. I also deviated from the bell crack arrangement for the ailerons and I mounted a servo in each wing panel all the way up to the main spar to move the weight forward and provide minimum control surface slop. I can put on a photo if you are interested. I plan on using the bell cranks for the flaps.

What engine do you plan on using and how do you plan to maintain cooling? I am just working on the wing at present but I have spent some time dreaming over the plans.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 11-25-2010, 11:01 AM
LarsL

I thought I would inquire on this thread as I see a few English members who I believe would be very well versed on Spitfire options.

I am interested in building a less than 1/4 scale Spitfire (I'm not really fixated on any particular Mark) and my question is which plan/design might edge out in front. I'm looking at of course the Brian Taylor 69" Mk 1A, his 69" Mk XIV & XIX, and am also considering the Mick Reeves 74" 1/6 Mk IX version. I like these sizes as they transport quite nicely. Mick has a Fiberglass fuse option if one wanted to go that route... what do people think about that option? Brian's 83" Mk VIII & IX is getting a bit too large but I might be convinced. Dave Platt's 88" is getting too large.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Lars
Old 07-11-2011, 09:00 AM
michael9054
My Feedback: (2)

Hi guys,

I also purchased the plans of the Spitfire MkVIII & IX.Although slightly different,the construction remains the same. Am following the construction with great interest.
At the same time,i ordered the cowl,cockpit window as well as the plan of the BF 109G.
The spit' is my next winter project.

Regards,Michael
Old 10-03-2011, 06:29 PM
davidhand

Hi. Did either of you two gents (or anyone else) follow up on the Brian Taylor Spit. Mk 1a any further? I am thinking of building a model of the prototype K 5054 and this would be a good start I think. As the earlier marks were shorter in the nose would this result in a lot of up front ballast?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Spitfire the best looking warbird ever. If your interested I make a MK1 Cowl, super clear MK1 canopy as well and other accessories to build a MK1 spitfire from the MK9 plans. Barry Dalwig build one and its truly amazing, his long very detailed thread is on RCscalebuilder.

Good luck with the build.

Vic

Name:	Zx71726.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1669705  
Old 07-26-2021, 01:19 PM
spiggytopes1

Hi guys,

A couple of weeks ago I resumed the conversion of my 20yr old (yes 20 years ago)!! BT Mk14 spit !! I built and flew it successfully - ish! until engine overheat (laser 120) and it sat with severed fuselage and intact wing luckily, in spare room. I decided to convert it into the Mk1a as thought a shorter nose (early merlin vs griffon cowl) would give less nose-over tendency on the ground. Also I realise I prefer the early BB type.

Anyway, years back I ordered (from Mr T himself) the Mk1a parts, only now have I found true inspiration and with other like minded folk like you, I'm on it!! Will post piccies if anyone interested!?

Atb Simon