Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

CORBY STARLET BY CHRIS WHITE

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

CORBY STARLET BY CHRIS WHITE

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:52 AM
lettaviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CORBY STARLET BY CHRIS WHITE

I have a 38.5% ARF and it calls out a CG at 4-3/4" (121mm) from the leading edge of the wing. If you are using electric, the battery positioning would probably more than enough to facilitate the appropriate CG. Hope this helps.

John Lett
Stockton, California
Old 03-07-2012, 06:19 AM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks John, Thats just what I am looking for. My friend has lost the instruction book.

regards
Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 PM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Noel and I flew the Electric Corby Starlet for the first time today, We had to go through the large model inspection process.
The Turnigy 160 outrunner motor had more than enough power. it took off in about 20 feet. Most of the flight was under half power. Loops and rolls were nice. landings were uneventful. Noel was very pleased with his new model, and the inspector gave it a big tick.

Regards
Old 06-13-2012, 12:29 AM
4wheelin711
My Feedback: (8)

I am looking for a NIB corby starlet, the larger one. If any one has one to get rid of let me know.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:22 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay,

I maidened my Little Yellow and White Corby Starlet today.

I figured it would be a handful, and it was, if the throttle was advanced too fast. But not if it's moved steadily forward. I powered it with a Saito .62, and I was a little worried that it might not be enough. It was MORE than enough, and in fact, it was pretty darn fast at full throttle! I was all shaky at first, and it needed tons of trim, and acted funny. I landed it after 8 go-arounds, and it floated past the field each time. Realized upon landing it that I'd had the flaperons on the whole time. Okay, never mind all that trimming out, set the trims back nearer to where I started, and took off again.

MUCH better, less twitchy, and smoother. Pulled it up to do a loop, and - it snapped! HARD! I thought at first I'd gotten a hit, but then another guy there - Jack - said it looked like my elevator might have snapped it. I decided to test his theory, but I didn't think he was right, because I was already worried that I might not have enough elevator travel. I'd set it according to the directions in the manual. I pulled it upward, then pulled harder, and it snapped like lightning. Jack was right. Too much elevator travel. Go figure. The surfaces on this Corby are EXTREMELY sensitive, and highly effective. As I mentioned at the beginning, I thought she might be a handful, as short coupled as she is and all, so I expected some of the performance issues. HIGH performance, that is. This little plane kicks butt. Takes no prisoners, either. It's not a Sunday flyer, you have to pay attention to it.

Once I had her all trimmed out, I started making approaches, and she just kept floating past the field. No wind to fly into, to speak of today. Our field is short - MAYBE 250 feet long. I trimmed the idle down another click or two, and she floated past the field. I went further out to bleed some speed off, and she floated past the field again. I started to feel like the Granville brothers with their Gee Bees at that point. I had the Saito .62 just a-tick-tick-ticking on idle, and the Corby was floating past the field. Finally, I went WAY out, not too high, started back, stalled it, and started banking it left and right, left and right, and then came in just over the grass, and settled her onto the runway, and she rolled along with her tail flying high. Magnificent. But then she just kept rolling along like that, and I had to give her some go-juice and take her off again. I went even further out, and did even more to kill the speed, and when she rolled onto the runway, she was still flying her tail high, but then settled onto the tail wheel, and slowed in time.

I worked on the idle of the Saito; it was already pretty slow, but I got it down even slower, and I flew several more flights, doing the most beautiful tail-high touch and goes you ever saw.[X(] I got used to the way she wanted to keep flying. The message was clear: I'll fly at 6 miles an hour, so SLOW ME DOWN before you bring me home!!

Magnificent little bird. I'm sorry I took five years to get her to the field, but she's worth every single minute it took. I'll try to get some photos of it soon, and post them up.

By the way, everybody LOVED the looks of the Corby, and thought it was as CUTE as can be. And that it looked great landing and taking off, with that tail flying high.

It was a hit.

~ Jim ~[8D]
Old 08-11-2012, 03:26 PM
redball8
My Feedback: (128)

I fly my 52/70 Corby Starlet with a Saito 72 and a 14x5 prop, so she'll slow down a bit to land. With those big ailerons way out toward the tips I won't do flaperons, but I do prefer to fly the plane with a good headwind, at least 8 mph. She doesn't like to come down!
Old 08-11-2012, 03:45 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I'm looking for a larger model, thought it might fly nice with a CRRC 26CC I have on the shelf.

I'm not finding any, outside of Australia...

~ Jim ~
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I've got my eye on a larger model, so I'll probably be selling this one to make room for it, and to help finance the new one.

If you have any interest in it, please let me know. I'll be putting it into the For Sale section in the next week or so. I'll attach a few photos here.

Sorry, the computer with the photos crashed, and I'm trying to get it up and running again. I'll have some photos back up here as soon as I can.

~ Jim ~
Old 08-13-2012, 01:16 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Let me try again.

This is the Corby Starlet I'm selling.

~ Jim ~[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52209.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1791663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72182.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1791664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39183.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1791665  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Lewis S.
My Feedback: (229)

Hello,
I had my cowl severaly damged beyond repair for my 38.5% Corby Starlet. Would anyone have one they would part with. I love the way the plane flies.

Thanks
Lewis email [email protected]
Old 10-01-2012, 02:44 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I don't know if they have it, but you should try Fiberglass Specialties, those sort of places.

It's worth a try!

~ Jim ~
Old 10-01-2012, 02:51 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I looked around. Nothing.

~ Jim ~
Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 PM
lettaviation

Since a mishap with my 38% Corby, I am selling the wings and tail feathers. For more information, contact me directly at [email protected] and reference "Corby".
Old 11-11-2012, 12:00 PM
scalebirdman
My Feedback: (6)

Sorry to hear that.. I cracked up mine also (twice). Cowl was in pretty bad shape, but the only option was piecing it back together.. If you have all the pieces I'd suggest you give it a try. You'd be suprized what you can repair. Now if I can just find a spare canopy, I won't have to go to the trouble of making a master and pulling a new one
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36210.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1819459  
Old 11-11-2012, 02:18 PM
johnslett

Thank you for yoursypathy. I will try to pick uip an extra fuselage outof australia. I spenta lot of years flying on corporate aircraft as a crew member andwe frequented Australia often. That is how I got my original kit and parts back home. Since I've retired, I still have friendsat the old company who will still get things for me.

As for the canopy, It so happens I have a brand new unused and un trimed canopy for the 38% Corby Starlet.. TALK TO ME!

John L.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:47 PM
rcsnowboarder

Hi all,

Does anybody know how to get in contact with Chris White?

My email is [email protected]

Thank you
Old 04-26-2018, 06:15 PM
redball8
My Feedback: (128)

Could try a PM - his RCU ID is CJ-1.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:31 AM
P. Winters
My Feedback: (243)

Hi Chris,

Do you know where I can find a cowl for the 38% Corby Starlet ARF? I’m in the USA, but I am happy to pay whatever shipping, etc.

Thank you!

Patrick
Old 10-03-2019, 10:55 AM
nc state

Default Corby starlet

Do you know where i can find a 1/3 scale CS. I want to buy one. I sent an Email to the company down under, and said i would add an extra 50.00 if they would ship one to me. Price plus shipping.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:02 AM
nc state

Default Corby starlet

Sir. You are a God. Please, please help me to buy a CS. The 1/3 scale rc kit. I have an engine for it, a satio 300 twin. If it can be done, we can text more about it at a later date.
Tom