Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Scale model ultralights? >

Scale model ultralights?

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Scale model ultralights?

Old 07-26-2003, 09:00 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scale model ultralights?

Anyone putting out a scale ultralight model that you know of? Have flown a full size Flightstar which is great to fly, tractor configuration, and enclosed cockpit.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:47 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Over the years I have seen plans in magazines for a few. If you could be more specific about the one you would like to build I might be able to help. Is the Flightstar the aircraft you want ?
Most are not very hard to scratch out and do your own plan. There are some simple ways to go about it .
Old 07-31-2003, 04:38 PM

Default RC Ultralight

The flightstar, I think, would make a great model. The engine is mounted atop a large tubular boom which carries the wings, 'cabin', and tail. The 'sails' are of course Dacron-or similar. There are enough pix and drawings to scale up, that shouldn't be too difficult. A piece of aluminum tube from Lowe's should do the trick for the main. The wings I'm not sure of, scale of course would be in the nature of 1/8th or 1/4 alum tube but I guess wood would be more pratical. I think 1/4 scale would be a good size, 32' span. I'd guess a .60-80 would be adequate.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C ULTRALIGHT

USING FULL SIZE PLANS FROM THE FACTORY, I HAVE DESIGNED AND BUILT A 1/3RD SCALE ULTRALIGHT CALLED HUMMEL CA 2 Despite of its ungainly looks, It is a real dream to fly.

FULL SIZE AIRCRAFT IS BUILT OUT OF ALUMINUM
you can see the full size airplane a t www.flyhummel.com
Also you can see the model at my site at www.allmetalplane.com
Old 07-31-2003, 05:56 PM

Default ultralights

I haven't bought anything from these guys and I'm not even sure they're in production yet, but here's what looks to be a pretty good ultralight model.

http://www.rchomebuilts.com/Challenger.htm

They're also doing or plan to do other homebuilt aircraft. These guys are on my list when my workshop opens up a bit.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:23 PM

Default Ultralights

Thanks guys for the comments! The Challenger is a beauty! I will have to give up flying full scale next month. The medical stuff the FAA has required is too steep for me now, but the Ultralights are still there and a lot more fun. Carlos, the all metal technique has fascinated me for years since I saw a picture of the Porter in M.A.N. a long time back. I have an Altech Porter-one of my favorite flyers! Spent some time in Panama and a while in Peru-one of my favorite places. Flown over the Andes a few times. I think I will work on the Flightstar model idea, I keep looking for a good deal on a full size!
Old 08-03-2003, 04:34 AM

Check out the plane in the back row in the middle. This was a kit put out ten or fifteen years ago and is no longer available. I have a GI Joe of Ted Williams at the controls. The other planes I have in my squadron are a Y/A F-16 and a JHH Hawk. By the way, the construction is pretty simple; I bet it would be easy to make one from scratch yourself.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	98642_14863.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	55398  
Old 08-03-2003, 04:35 AM

Default ultralight 2

Here is another angle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	98643_14863.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	55399  
Old 08-04-2003, 10:12 PM

Default U/L

Cool plane! Give us the specs-w.s., engine size, construction? Is the frame tubing? Wing balsa, covering?
Old 08-19-2003, 02:55 AM
My Feedback: (55)

Default Scale R/C Ultralight

You might find this website of interest: www.aviationproducts.de
Click on "scale models". I am currently developing a scale R/C hang glider pilot for use with their scale hang gliders. They offer a couple trike models. I plan to become their US distributor soon.

Andrew