Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
 Hostettler Navion >

Hostettler Navion

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Hostettler Navion

Old 08-24-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hostettler Navion

Has anyone built this yet? I have collected everything I need and want to start this one after my current project is completed. Never built a hostettler design before and looking to see what is in store for me before I glue.... not after I glue

Thanks
Fred
Old 11-20-2010, 08:32 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hostettler Navion

Fred,

While I haven't built the Navion, I have built Hostetler's Gee Bee 29%. There's a few things that didn't come out exactly right from the plans, but I was able to adjust those areas. I included a few photos of the GB prior to covering.

As I'm sure you know, Wendell's plans are for the experienced builder. Unlike Ziroli's designs, there's no instructions and very few notes on the plans. I went over them off and on for a month before I started construction. I scratched from plans just because I had never done it before. I won't do it again due to time constraints and will buy the kit instead from a kit cutter. I have his monstrosity 310R plans but will likely never build it, and his 172 Skyhawk which I'm considering. Lastly, Wendell is very good about answering questions, which I did have a few.

If you have any other questions about Hostetler's design, let me know.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 11-21-2010, 07:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Hostettler Navion

Fred, my friend, Don Olsen, has just started his Navion, on RCSB. http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...TID=15987&PN=1

Give it a read. As you may know, Don is an experienced, innovative craftsman. I'm sure that he'll provide some good information in his build thread.

As Jim points out, study the plans thoroughly. Wendel's plans take some thought, but they build into beautiful models. I've enjoyed building his Cessna 195, and I'm preparing to build his Fairchild 24R.