RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Grumman F3F2 plans (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/1064696-grumman-f3f2-plans.html)

carlbecker 11-17-2003 11:01 AM

RE: Grumman F3F2 plans

Central air cylinder driving two sprockets which drive larger sprockets attached to struts via chain. The drawing on Robart sight is very accurate.

801scottd 11-26-2008 11:24 PM

Hi fellow F3F fans, I too am taking on the F3F1. In 31% to accomodate an RC showcase 250 radial engine. A good friend of mine Noll Hess built a 25% scale model of this airplane in 1993 at the QSAA in Las Vegas. Needless to say he's 87 yrs. old now and doesn't remember all the details to the fabrication of the landing gear. He used a skill 7.2 volt cordless screwdriver gear box, for the drive. It worked flawless and the plane flew very nice. Today I brought home my first copy at 29% the three views to see if engine will fit. Needs to be a bigger coweling. I am also looking for plans atleast 60 size to blow up and re-work as needed. Keep me posted.
Thanks, Scott

Avaiojet 02-14-2009 05:11 PM

Scott,

Have you done the math on that 31% model?

Let me know the span and fuse length and the fuse diameter.

I'll bet you reconsider a smaller model? Maybe not.

I sold Noll Hess one of my Aristo Craft 52" span F3F-1 kits. He told me built and flew it then sold it. This was just a year ago.

I'd like to know to who he sold it?

I have his gear drawings someplace?

Charles

801scottd 02-14-2009 08:01 PM

31% will create a 102" wingspan. Which I have considered and is exactly what i'm looking for. And am even contemplating even bigger to accomidate a radial 400cc. If you have drawings of a landing gear, Let me know. Or any information for that matter that might help me would be appreciated. Thanks for your info.
-Scott

lightning 759 12-05-2012 05:10 AM

Hi
old thread i know but did any one ever complete a plan would love to build one anywere between 60 to 80 inch size or there abouts

Andy

801scottd 03-13-2013 07:03 AM

long time no post. But i do have good news. Over the past year i have successfully built the F3F landing gear in 35% making the tire size 9". This makes for an impresive size rc model. Span 132" fuse 8'1 5/8" the cowl is 17" wide and 22" top to bottom.
The gear lower drag links are tig welded crome moly the strut is machined 6061 t6 aluminum. All this is supported by a hollow aluminum shaft. The shaft traveles through two bulk heads and has a steel sproket on the end 1/4" chain drives the sprokets from two gears powered by a high torque gear motor i purchased from servo city. This gear motor will run on 12v or 4.8v to keep the speed scale.
The fuse is a work in progress due to the fact i am making it from a fiber glass mold i have yet to start. I still have more detail to the plug to incoperate i will post photos, and possible a video as time permits.