RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Kit Cutters cheaper than Precision Cut Kits, why? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/11029228-kit-cutters-cheaper-than-precision-cut-kits-why.html)

Scratchie 04-05-2012 06:40 AM

Kit Cutters cheaper than Precision Cut Kits, why?

I'm looking at the Dan Palmer 92" A-20 Havoc. Kit Cutters has a full wood kit for $320, Precision Cut Kits has thefull woodkit for $415. Can anyone shed some light on why one costs so much more than the other?

Thanks</p>

vertical grimmace 04-05-2012 10:20 AM

RE: Kit Cutters cheaper than Precision Cut Kits, why?

I will say there are other reasons to avoid PCK other than just the higher price. IMO

DanSavage 04-05-2012 11:26 AM

Does each kit come with the wood? Or, is the cost just for the laser time?

If each kit comes with wood, what is the relative quality (read: weight) of the wood that comes with each kit? (contest, medium, hard)

Dan

ORIGINAL: Scratchie

I'm looking at the Dan Palmer 92'' A-20 Havoc. Kit Cutters has a full wood kit for $320, Precision Cut Kits has the full wood kit for $415. Can anyone shed some light on why one costs so much more than the other?

Thanks</p>

invertmast 04-05-2012 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

I will say there are other reasons to avoid PCK other than just the higher price. IMO

+1

I've got 1 semi kit and 1 full kit from PCK missing parts... after numerous emails to PCK, they said they would replace the parts @ $115/hr + materials. Not to mention, 100% of the tail parts on the full kit were cut incorrectly, or were broken. Fuselage parts were broken. Then the 12+ kits i've had from them over the past years all had similar problems. And don't expect to hear any status or progress reports on your kit once they get your money. If they don't stock it, you'll just find it on your door-step one day a few weeks later.

vertical grimmace 04-05-2012 05:16 PM

ORIGINAL: invertmast

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

+1

I've got 1 semi kit and 1 full kit from PCK missing parts... after numerous emails to PCK, they said they would replace the parts @ $115/hr + materials. Not to mention, 100% of the tail parts on the full kit were cut incorrectly, or were broken. Fuselage parts were broken. Then the 12+ kits i've had from them over the past years all had similar problems. And don't expect to hear any status or progress reports on your kit once they get your money. If they don't stock it, you'll just find it on your door-step one day a few weeks later.
They do not leave the laser parts they cut in the sheets. For some dumb reason, they remove them. I had almost every one of my Fuse Formers in my TA152 kit broken. Like putting a puzzle together. I had over 25 missing parts and many of the wrong shape and size. The typical excuse is that my plans are not the same as their plans. Well, I checked the scale of mine and all dimensions are perfect. I have only bought one kit from PCK and not only is it my last, but feel it is my duty to steer fellow modelers away from the extremely poor quality.

TomCrump 04-06-2012 02:53 AM

Look at the Kit Cutters home page. http://www.kitcutters.com/ They are not taking orders for anything but plans.

You may want to do a price check with National Balsa. http://www.nationalbalsa.com/laser_cutting_s/8.htm I hear good things about them.

JohnF 04-06-2012 03:15 AM

Go to Bob Holman, www.bhplans.com

vertical grimmace 04-06-2012 01:46 PM

Also, another mistake I made was buying the full kit. I would have been much better off getting the other needed wood on my own. I am replacing most of it anyway. The thing that sucked was I did a lot of research in here and elsewhere on PCK and found few complaints. So I pulled the trigger on the kit. Never again. I will give them the wing ribs all look really good. Something that would have been a pain to cut out myself. I was missing almost half of them though.

Scratchie 04-16-2012 03:51 PM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="line-height: 115%; font-size: 9pt">This really sucks - I'm really surprised to hear this about PCK. After I saw that Nick Ziroli has them listed his website, I assumed that they provided a quality product. I want to build the Dan Palmer A-20 Havoc &ndash; 92&rdquo; ws.I like the way it looks and it&rsquo;s the right size &ndash; 100+ inch ws are just too costly for me to handle. </span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="line-height: 115%; font-size: 9pt">Were you guys having kits cut to order from plans you supplied, or did you buy one of their &ldquo;stock&rdquo; kits?The only other option for this plane (other than a complete scratch build) is from Kit Cutters, but it was said they&rsquo;re not taking new kit orders.</span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="line-height: 115%; font-size: 9pt">Idea&rsquo;s anyone?I do not want a B-25, A-26 or B-26, DC-3, but a 90&rdquo; P-38 would be good (ziroli&rsquo;s 114&rdquo;ws P-38 is just too costly for my budget).Mick Reeves has a mosquito, but it&rsquo;s big $$$.Please don&rsquo;t tell me I&rsquo;m stuck with the Top Flite Giant P-47 &ndash; good plane but not a twin. btw, Allied aircraft only.

Thanks</span></div>

vertical grimmace 04-16-2012 05:24 PM

My kit was in sock. I am sure you can find a cutter that offers a kit you want. BH plans has a great reputation. I would contact him and see if he will cut to your plans. I am new to this aspect of the hobby. PCK is the first kit cutter I have used. I recommend only getting the short versions of kits. The things that would take a lot of time to produce. Ribs and formers. It goes without saying that when entering this level of modeling, an extensive shop is needed, along with the machines and tools. I guess my eventual desire would be to have my own ability to cnc cut my parts. Either a laser or router.

jeffo 04-17-2012 01:29 AM

I ordered a kit in November of last year,still waiting.He gave me 3 different times when I'd have it.-Jeffo

joesigg 04-17-2012 06:06 AM

I will chime and say I would never again use PCK - overpriced and bad stuff. Might as well scratch build!

Scratchie 04-17-2012 06:57 AM

What about Kit Cutters at http://www.kitcutters.com/

Are they any better? Are there any reliable short kit manufactuerers out there? I like the Mick reeves Mosquito, but at $1,000 just for the basic kit it's way out of my league.

Scratchie 04-17-2012 07:21 AM

Ijust found LDS Laser design Services - ever heard of them? Inexpensive, and offer an A-26. It's not the A-20 I wnated to build but it's the right size...

s3nfo 04-17-2012 12:55 PM

I have an LDS Jetmach 60. Good wood, good plans and well cut.

cloudancer03 04-17-2012 02:21 PM

people in the "know" will advise you against PCK! I have yet to hear anyone singing their praises.as for kitcutters in general find someone privately who can cut a kit for you. all too often these kind of businesses will advertise but always and I mean always will put you off for a long time..I would go to ziroli and buy a kit and plans and be happy.

TomCrump 04-18-2012 04:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Scratchie

What about Kit Cutters at http://www.kitcutters.com/

Are they any better? Are there any reliable short kit manufactuerers out there? I like the Mick reeves Mosquito, but at $1,000 just for the basic kit it's way out of my league.

Go back to post #6. I already stated that Kit Cutters isn't taking orders.

At the Toledo Show, I purchased a kit from National Balsa. http://www.nationalbalsa.com/laser_cutting_s/8.htm I've heard good things about them.

TomCrump 04-18-2012 04:54 AM

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

people in the ''know'' will advise you against PCK! I have yet to hear anyone singing their praises.as for kitcutters in general find someone privately who can cut a kit for you. all too often these kind of businesses will advertise but always and I mean always will put you off for a long time..I would go to ziroli and buy a kit and plans and be happy.
I've built a kit from PCK. I encountered few problems. I liked it well enough that I bought another kit from them.

National Balsa is gaining an excellent reputation for quality kits.

I suggest that you do not limit your options by sticking to one designer, with a limited choice of airframes.

grbaker 04-18-2012 09:51 AM

I just found LDS Laser design Services - ever heard of them?
Bob at LDS is the best. I would not hesitate to buy from him again.

sirzepp 04-18-2013 04:19 AM

HUGE thanks for the recommend on national balsa...looks like a great site with good kits available. I WILL be buying in the future.

TomCrump 04-18-2013 04:26 AM

ORIGINAL: sirzepp

HUGE thanks for the recommend on national balsa...looks like a great site with good kits available. I WILL be buying in the future.

You should see the bundle of wood that I bought for $40.00 National Balsa had excellent prices at the Toledo Show. Their booth was always packed with customers.

nitro wing 04-21-2013 05:48 PM

ORIGINAL: grbaker

I just found LDS Laser design Services - ever heard of them?
Bob at LDS is the best. I would not hesitate to buy from him again.
I bought a hard to find berkeley cessna 170 from him, good price and delivered on time, have not started it but initial sampling of patterns looked good.

velasques 10-14-2013 10:37 AM

Good afternoon!
I wonder which company will buy a kit of spitifire ziroli, The PCK is not a good company??

cocobear 10-17-2013 08:56 AM

Bob Holman is great, so is National Balsa.
DJ

vertical grimmace 10-17-2013 05:27 PM

Yah, I am looking for a Ziroli Stuka short kit. Not sure to go with Ziroli, or maybe National balsa. I am impressed with Ziroli's attention to detail so far (plans, etc.). I had a terrible experience with PCK. Reminded me of Sterling. Any suggestions?