RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Allied Planes vs Others (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/11056892-allied-planes-vs-others.html)

kljenkin 04-25-2012 05:46 PM

Allied Planes vs Others

I seem to be stange in that I am averse to owning or building German WWI or WWII or Japanese WWII planes? For instance I have already decided that if I want a Triplane it would be the Sopwith rather than a Fokker. Am I too loyal to the Allies?

abufletcher 04-25-2012 06:10 PM

RE: Allied Planes vs Others

We need the balance! Some guys seem only to build German (or maybe Austrian). :D Strangely, I tend to towards the German planes (maybe that's because I was a German major in college and spent a year in Germany), but I seem to be on a string of mostly British builds.

beepee 04-26-2012 11:26 AM

kl,

I know where you are coming from. I have similar feelings (tho I do have an ME-109 in my fleet). There are plenty of excellent airframes to model no matter which nationality or 'side' you choose.

Bedford

vertical grimmace 04-26-2012 12:15 PM

All German here. I find the designs more interesting and the colors are way more diverse. All of the american planes look the same to me and are way too popular.

FlyerInOKC 04-26-2012 12:48 PM

I must be wierd, all my WWI stuff is German and all my WWII is Allied aircraft. OK I do have plans for one Japanese airplane but I haven't built it.

abufletcher 04-26-2012 03:33 PM

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace
I find the designs more interesting and the colors are way more diverse.
That maybe be true for the fighters, but if you're interested in "funk" then the British 2-seaters seem to have more to offer. But you definitely have to learn to love PC10. ;)

RAMFlyer 04-26-2012 04:27 PM

Let's see... P51, ME163, P40 in Brit desert colors, Bf109, B25, Spitfire. 'sss all good...

fledermaus 04-26-2012 05:42 PM

Build what you love. They all have their fans and their foes, but if you like a plane, that's what matters.

kljenkin 04-26-2012 05:57 PM

So, I guess one day I will decide it is time to try a plane ortwo from the'other side'.

Kinda like the way that if you retry food or something that you did not like as a kid, sometimesyou are suprised to find that hey, lima beans are actually good.

I also realize that I havealready stretched some with regard to the Austrian designedSwiss (neither side) WWI plane that I am building.

See my Phonix D.III (1:10) buildthreadhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._1/key_/tm.htm

cmgtech1 05-19-2012 01:13 PM

No need to shy away from any nationality with regard to airframe. Remember, machines didn't fight the war... People did. A Stuka never damaged anything. Their pilots however, used the aircraft to strike fear into those on the ground. The Me-109 never shot down a single allied aircaft. The Me-109 pilots however, used the machine to shoot down as many allied planes as possible.

Seriously, an airframe is an airframe. It would be wrong to hide our heads in the sand and not acknowledge that there have been superb aircraft from all nations.

Somebody else has posted that there is a need for "balance" of airframes from varying designs. This is a very valid statement. For those who partake in using their models to pay tribute to those who strapped on the real machines in times of war, it is important that people understand that the "enemy" also had very capable (and at times better) aircraft that they had to go up against. Being able to demonstrate this fact helps an audience to better understand the true bravery and level of dedication that was required by the pilots.

Build the Axis/Soviet/Euro/Chinese replicas! Heck, the computer you used to post your concern was most likely manufacture in, or by parts that came from China. The car you drive most likely has Japanese or German parts (if not brand).

The more you study those Axis designed subjects, the more you may come to appreciate your beloved Allied. The Navy Hellcat was outclassed in nearly every respect by the Zero, yet the Hellcat's kill/loss ratio against the Zero would have you think otherwise. Being able to demonstrate this imbalance of machines can quickly help an audience appreciate the discipline and teamwork required of the American pilots to achieve victory against what would be considered an obviously superior foe. The flip side of the coin - making an audience aware of the nearly impossible situation the Luftwaffe faced against overwhelmingly superior numbers of Allied forces planes will help them to understand the personal bravery that those Axis pilot faced every day.

History has already been determined. There is no need to refrain from modeling subjects from either side of a conflict. You will not change the outcome of what has already past. Enjoy the hobby and the subjects of your liking as you please.

beepee 05-20-2012 01:49 AM

Actually, cmg, it was the Wildcat that was so out classed by the Zero. The Hellcat was a later Grumman developement that was intended to beat the Zero. It did so with great success.

I also think the Hellcat was produced by Grumman to give modelers a WWII bird with a more reasonable landing gear design to reproduce! :D

Bedford

cmgtech1 05-20-2012 09:17 AM

You are correct BeePee.

kljenkin 05-20-2012 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: cmgtech1
History has already been determined. There is no need to refrain from modeling subjects from either side of a conflict. You will not change the outcome of what has already past. Enjoy the hobby and the subjects of your liking as you please.
Thanks, you said that very well and really made the point that I was searching for. I was just too caught up in the sides instead of the aircraft.