RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   BUSA MICK CAMEL (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/11296977-busa-mick-camel.html)

Horsepoweraviation 11-14-2012 06:04 AM

BUSA MICK CAMEL

1 Attachment(s)
Barry Vogel and I (Paul Westrich) from HPA garage came up with a idea to build a sport 1/3 scale Sopwith Camels. So we decided to take a BUSA PUP KIT and "bash it" with Mick Reeves CAMEL parts.
This idea started back in the Spring of this year @ Toledo R/C Expo when we bought 2 pup kits from Mark . We never really started a build forum because we had so many projects going on and truth be told ....we didnt know if "epic fail" was waiting for us at the finish line.......... BUT as some of you guys already know, I finished the proto-type this past summer and flew it at several events and meeting the "Balsa Gods" in Fond Du Lac. As my good friend Art Shelton once told me.."As long as you learned from your mistakes...its never a total loss" Well Barry and I have discussed all the areas we need to address and we are going foward with 2 BUSA Mick Camels build thread......

Here is a photo of #1

HPA

Horsepoweraviation 11-14-2012 07:02 AM

RE: BUSA MICK CAMEL

1 Attachment(s)
This week I have be dis-manteling the "carnage" and I found out there was not much left! LOL!
Heres what I have left ......tail section, 4 ailerons, dash, some wing mounts, 2 wheels, most of the landing gear..
The one pic is the "Barry Vogel design" new rib profile
The other pic is the new power plant for the Russian Camel........the DA150 was alittle anemic.......MOKI 215!
Barry will be posting his powerplant soon.

HPA

Horsepoweraviation 11-14-2012 07:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics continue

WinterHawke 11-14-2012 08:14 AM

Good morning, Paul

Glad to see that the HPA Mk II Camel is forecoming - the prototype flew most excellently!!

For those one or two souls who missed it in action, here's a link to the maiden flight, Saturday evening at the IOK Dawn Patrol last Spring:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXdZYs_6byk[/youtube]

Best regards,

Lee McD
ye olde WinterHawke

BobH 11-14-2012 09:19 AM

Nice build and nice flight. What engine did you ultimately use? Doesn't sound like a Moki.

abufletcher 11-14-2012 09:44 AM

So are you going to be calling these McCamels? :D Guess I didn't hear about what happened to the prototype.

Horsepoweraviation 11-14-2012 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: BobH

Nice build and nice flight. What engine did you ultimately use? Doesn't sound like a Moki.

Anemic..... DA 150 :):)

Horsepoweraviation 11-14-2012 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

So are you going to be calling these McCamels? :D Guess I didn't hear about what happened to the prototype.

Well I was at Fond Du lac warbird this summer and the short verson was...."Hey watch this!....................OOOOOOHHHHHHH Shiet!":eek:....[&o].....:(...........

I'm sure we can find some pics from that event (LEE?)

It was flying great all week....about the 3rd flight on that Saturday it acted wierd on the controls............I brought it in and found the r/s cabane had pulled apart at the end of the struts.
I did a good field repair. Installed my video camera on the plane and sent it up to film the noon time gaggle and apparently the L/S cabanes broke lose and and pulled right to the ground![:@][:@]
I have this project on 3-4 different forums, I will try to gather them all up and put them here for people that would like to see the history as well as the updates.

Cheers,
HPA

BobH 11-14-2012 10:24 AM

Yes way underpowered.. I can tell! lol

vogel605 11-14-2012 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Horsepoweraviation

This week I have be dis-manteling the ''carnage'' and I found out there was not much left! LOL!
Heres what I have left ......tail section, 4 ailerons, dash, some wing mounts, 2 wheels, most of the landing gear..
The one pic is the ''Barry Vogel design'' new rib profile
The other pic is the new power plant for the Russian Camel........the DA150 was alittle anemic.......MOKI 215!
Barry will be posting his powerplant soon.

HPA
I'm going with a twin.......

Horsepoweraviation 11-14-2012 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

Abu,
These are pics back in August @ Fond Du Lac Wi.

WinterHawke 11-14-2012 01:34 PM

Ahh, yes - Fond du Lac - remember it well . . . .

Here's some more pictures of the HPA Sopwith Camel at the 2012 Warbirds and Classics Over the Midwest:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...t/IMG_9951.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...t/IMG_9879.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...t/IMG_9857.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...t/IMG_9883.jpg

And as mentioned, it was during the Noontime Mass WWI Gaggle that the Sopwith went west. I was flying a BUSA 1/4 triplane, and midflight asked my wife Helen, who was spotting for me, "where's Paul's Sopwith Camel", as I intended to try for a bit of on-camera face time. I was real confused when she answered "I don't see the Camel . . . " Didn't find out until after the gaggle was over what had happened.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...t/IMG_9979.jpg

Paul's picture in his post #11 above shows the remaining bits about as good as any - All I can say is that I can't remember ever seeing an airplane more used up than that HPA Camel!!! Actually didn't have the heart to take any pictures of the remains - let's just say it's would've easily fit back into it's kit box, if'n it'd had one!!!

But I will say that Paul's Sopwith DID make it's presence felt during it's all-too-brief life this summer!!!

Best regards,

Lee McD

wildbills21 11-14-2012 02:53 PM

Hi Paul,

Great to hear you are going to do it again, build it that is. LOL Look forward to seeing the pictures along the way.

Wild Bill

R/C Art 11-14-2012 03:22 PM

Hey Paul

Glad to hear something from you......and you too, Barry. Thought you guys fell into a black hole or something.....[X(][:o], but now happy to see you both alive and well and "at it again!"

Cheers,
Art

ps Barry does that twin run on mags or electronic ignition?

abufletcher 11-14-2012 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Horsepoweraviation
...and pulled right to the ground![:@][:@]
Not an uncommon end for a great many Camels, and their unfortunate pilots, back in WWI.

Teus 11-14-2012 04:55 PM

Sorry to hear of your McCamel Paul, but good the hear that there will be a double rebuild [8D]

FireBee 11-14-2012 05:24 PM

HPA, Barry,
Your bashing idea sounds great. Idea never occured to me. Im subscribed.
Problem appears to be the bad russian spelling on the top wing. it should read
HPA.

R, mike

tevans55 11-14-2012 06:07 PM

Michelle....gonna need alotta PIZZA this winter!

Good Luck Paul and Barry...we'll be watching....and commenting, of course.

F4u5 11-16-2012 12:18 PM

Indeed Paul, glad to see you are back at it. Like I said, one of the neatest schemes I have seen on a WWI bird. Thanks for the artwork patch too:D

Jeff

Horsepoweraviation 12-10-2012 05:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just got back from a kick ass Chrismas party from my mentor King Arthur! ...........Wow those old farts really know how to party!

Anyway.....There was some discussion on the progress of the BUSA MicCamel.... Here is what I have done now.
Note, the build will be alittle slower because I am making double sure that there is no repeat failures in the airframe....
The frame is 3/8 hardwood longerons, followed up with 1/4 uprights in hardwood and finished with these gussets the Barry Vogel had cut for me. This is a "super strong structure"

HPA

Horsepoweraviation 12-10-2012 05:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
PICS CONT

geezeraviation 12-10-2012 05:54 AM

I'm in! Knew you had built one before but didnt know of its demise. Glad you and Barry are having a do over and happy you're going to let us watch. Lots of pix please.
Uh "Anemic DA 150" Thats an oxymoron where I come from. How much did it weigh? I have a DA 100 on my 1/3 N28 at 40lb performance is spirited.:D
Doc

Horsepoweraviation 12-10-2012 06:46 AM

ORIGINAL: geezeraviation

I'm in! Knew you had built one before but didnt know of its demise. Glad you and Barry are having a do over and happy you're going to let us watch. Lots of pix please.
Uh ''Anemic DA 150'' Thats an oxymoron where I come from. How much did it weigh? I have a DA 100 on my 1/3 N28 at 40lb performance is spirited.:D
Doc

Hey Doc,
It weighed 37 lbs and @ 16 1/2 HP DA 150.....I never went above 1/4 throttle[&:].......I was concerned if I opened up the throttle too much then the airplane would start rotating faster than the prop!:):):)

HPA

FireBee 12-10-2012 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paul, you mean this Barry?

The fuse is looking very well engineered.

Horsepoweraviation 12-10-2012 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: FireBee

Paul, you mean this Barry?

The fuse is looking very well engineered.

One in the same!:D