RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Andy Sheber Pitts s1s (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/11328170-andy-sheber-pitts-s1s.html)

Hinckley Bill 12-13-2012 07:14 PM

RE: Andy Sheber Pitts s1s

Some facts on the ARC Pitts....

Modelbau used to make them for sale via distributors like Desert Aircraft.....if the one I have is an example of the work they did I can't believe they're not still being sold. I believe that the build threads on this and other Modelbau kits list build time frames of hundreds of hours.

So that work doesn't come cheap......not even close to what the Chinese can make ARF's for.

Of course if one is buying the ARC it's likely to be for "scale" purposes, versus going out and flying everyday with a 'down and dirty' ARF

Hinckley Bill 12-13-2012 07:32 PM

Here are some more details

Pitts S1-S 2.43 m
.................................................. ...........................................

The Pitts Special is still one of the world's most famous aerobatic aircraft. Furthermore, the model makes the name aerobatic all honor.
The Pitts flies in wide speed range, it can be flown all the aerobatics.
She has very good slow flight characteristics and is therefore also suitable for small model airfields!
Off distance is about 10 meters, landing distance approximately 15 m

The Pitts Special is still one of the best known worldwide arobatic aircraft. So the model makes the name arobatic flying machine all honor. Pitts The flowing speed in the big area and it can fly all arobatic figures.
It has very good slow flying characteristics and is therefore suitable for Therefore little model airfields!
Specifications Technical dates

Scale: 1:2,1 Scale: 1:2,1
Wingspan: 243 cm span: 243 cm / 95.67 inches
Length: 206 cm length: 206 cm / 81.1 inches
Weight: 15 kg weight: 15 kg from
Engine: 120 cc recommended engine: from 120 cc

Construction kit
Pitts Special S1 2.43 m Kit
Pitts Special S1 2.43 m

Price: 1099, - € Price: please ask the dealer for your country

Orders by e-mail, telephone or
here in the shop when you not find a dealer for your country,
please contact us with email. Please do not order about the online-shop!

suitable motors
DA 100/150
King 140
ZDZ 120/160
3W 120/140 suitable motor
DA 100/150
King 140
ZDZ 120/160
3W 120/140

rec. Servos
4 x aileron from 6.5 kg
2 x elevators from 8.5 kg with metal gears
1 x rudder from 10 kg recommended servos
4 x aileron from 6.5 kg
Elevator from 2 x 8.5 kg with metal transmission
1 x rudder from 10 kg

gwweber 12-14-2012 12:17 PM

Yo   Won't flame the crrc, but Ive had very good luck with the dle engins and they have a 60cc twin that should be a good engin.

acerc 12-14-2012 12:41 PM

gw, the DLE 60cc twin is 3/4 inch too wide. I would have preffered it but don't want the associated holes. I have cut the saddle area pieces and added to the mock up. Everything looks right and measures out right so I'm going to stop here and pull it apart and start glueing.

acerc 12-14-2012 02:52 PM

I'm sure most here know's what the one problem is with useing a quality epoxy such as System 3's. And for those that don't,

"The wait!"

WacoNut 12-14-2012 04:00 PM

Robert,
I have been using T-88 structural epoxy on my last few builds and I really like the stuff. It does take a bit longer to cure than hobby epoxies but it seems to penetrate the wood better and does not get brittle like the hobby epoxy. The stuff is FAA approved for use on wooden aircraft so I figured it is good enough for my models.
Later!!
Anthony

wayne d 12-14-2012 04:12 PM

I use hysol instead of epoxy. Like it much better. $$$$$ but worth it to me.

acerc 12-14-2012 04:20 PM

Anthony,
If you like the T-88 you have got to try the GelMajik. Wayne glad you like the Hysol. I used it in construction and for this hobby I think it is overkill. But then again so is the system3 stuff. I do know you can glue two cinder blocks with the Hysol and it "will not" come apart. I used it mainly joining new work to existing. Good stuff!

wayne d 12-14-2012 04:57 PM

Hey Acerc
This was a little issue I ran into. I cut the firewall and the bulkhead behind it perfectly to the plans. Checked and double checked it to the plans. When I went to fit the cowl, the cowl was too small in diameter. Might be because I sheeted the front half of the fuse with 1/8 balsa. Ended up having to split the bottom of the cowl to make it fit.
Just a heads up.

acerc 12-14-2012 05:18 PM

I'll check on that before I cut the firewall. Thanks!

Checked on it, it fits. Wheww http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

john josey 12-14-2012 05:48 PM

Hi robert, did you cut the ply wing seats as a pair or on their own ?

I cant believe the speed your building at......Top job !

acerc 12-14-2012 05:52 PM

I cut them as a pair!

flyingagin 12-14-2012 05:59 PM

Subscribedacerc
Enjoying watching on of my favorite planes being built. I loved it since I was a teenager.

But then my last name is Pitts. So what would you expect? My wife wants me to build a Pitts, but I have not yet found the right plans. Size is an issue. No bigger than .90c 2 stroke glow. I really like the S2S.

Keep up the good work. I will watch and drool.

Ken

wayne d 12-14-2012 06:18 PM

Mine fit too before sheeting the front of the fuse. So not really sure what went wrong. No matter, it fits now.

airega1 12-14-2012 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: acerc

<div id=''post_message_23502424''>Really wanting to build a Pitts and have been putting everything together for a few months now.
So just to get a mental start on this project I decided to list what I have. And what I plan to do.
The plans are an Andy Sheber 33% Pitts s1s.
The motor is a CRRC 55cc twin. I know most of you won't like that choice. But thats what it is.
Radio gear is Futaba, T8FG tx upgraded to the 12, R6106rx which might be upgraded if an opening canopy is done-haven't decided, S3010 servo's, Life 6.6 3200mah battery, Tech-Aero ultra IBEC for ignition, Miracle double switch, Fiberglass Specialties cowl-canopy- and pant's-the cowl need's to be modified, Cirrus Venture's tailwheel (very scale), and one big box of wood from BUSA. All the wiring I will make myself for a better fit.
The photo is what I'm shooting for. I got a few days this week finishing up a Citabria build for a club member then I will get started. I still have to order the covering which I had not decided for sure what I was going to use untill today, and that will be Aircraft spruce poly-lite. I will wait on ordering the paint from Stits so as to get fresh stuff, no point in sitting on a shelf here for several month's. I think that's about it for now.</div><! messag><!ttachment>
I had a Sheber Pitts with a Sachs 4.2 and it was a bit marginal on performance and a CRRC 55cc twin maybe has the power of a Sachs 3.2, so I would rethink the powerplant. I ended up putting a brison 104cc twin and it was just right

acerc 12-14-2012 07:14 PM

I kinda figure it like this. I have a 1/5 scale Waco at 18lbs flying with a 26cc. Can't imagine the 55cc in it. The pitts is basically the same dimention's and will, hopefully, only be a couple 2-4 lbs heavier. I also have an Ultimate with the same basic frame sizes with a 55cc and it's a bullit. So I put all that together with my flyin style and what, I believe it will be good. Well see or I'll see.

wayne d 12-14-2012 08:22 PM

I'm going with a GT-80, mostly because I already have one sitting on the shelf.

heggen 12-15-2012 08:43 AM

wayne d,
Is that the 80" 1/3 scale Pitts S-2 from Sheber plans I see in the pictures you posted?
Back in the late 70's, my friend and I built two of them. I did wings and stabs and he built fuses. Fred Wallman, a machinist and owner of Annco servos, cut down two 80cc Olympic chain saw engines and modified them to be airframe power plants for 24-10 props. Both Pitts S-2's came out very nice but heavy, somewhere in the 35 pound area. The Olympic engine weighed 8-9 pounds with electronics and the bare fuse with no covering weighed 9 pounds. With the 80cc, it flew OK but was not a ball of fire. Took my Pitts S-2 to Ida Grove in the early 80's and was told I couldn't fly because the engine in my plane was too big! They did let me fly, however. I sold my Pitts in the late 80's.
Recently my friend's S-2 showed up and was given to me to restore. It is now bare bones and will be ready for new covering after I lighten things up a bit. The engine will be a DLE 111 with a 27-10 prop which will be a couple of pounds lighter, so some tail weight will have to be removed. Servos will digital Hitecs.
Currently, I am gathering parts and supplies for the restoration/rebuild while building a new workshop after my recent relocation. When the shop is useable, I will get into the project to hopefully be in the air by this summer.
Would love to share pictures and progress as we go along on the build.

TFF 12-15-2012 09:12 AM

Dont feel bad about splitting the cowl. If you put a angle valve Lycoming 200 hp in a S1 Pitts you have to split the cowl as it is designed for the 180 HP engine, so your scale!

Hinckley Bill 12-15-2012 09:20 AM

Actually have a Seber Pitts scratch from plans airframe I picked up a few years ago. It had a 3W100 on it for power and likely needed all of it

acerc 12-15-2012 01:21 PM

It's coming along. I got the base and formers in yesterday. After a day of flyin, well half day, glued in the saddle area and the rear tail support. No, I'm not fast, but I get there!

wayne d 12-15-2012 02:06 PM

ORIGINAL: acerc

It's coming along. I got the base and formers in yesterday. After a day of flyin, well half day, glued in the saddle area and the rear tail support. No, I'm not fast, but I get there!

Hey
Acerc
Remember the story about the Tortoise and the hare.
Slow and steady always wins.

airega1 12-15-2012 03:50 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: acerc

airega1 12-15-2012 03:53 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: airega1

[quote]ORIGINAL: acerc

I kinda figure it like this. I have a 1/5 scale Waco at 18lbs flying with a 26cc. Can't imagine the 55cc in it. The pitts is basically the same dimention's and will, hopefully, only be a couple 2-4 lbs heavier. I also have an Ultimate with the same basic frame sizes with a 55cc and it's a bullit. So I put all that together with my flyin style and what, I believe it will be good. Well see or I'll see.
[/quote

What you're not taking into account is, the Waco and Ultimate are probably twice as forgiving as any Pitts, The Sheber Pitts is old school building, lots of wood plenty of ply, if you can eliminate a lot of weight in your building, you may stand a chance of the 55cc flying it safely. Members here that have been commenting are people that had or have this same airplane, listen to what they are saying about thier choice of power, DLE 111, Brison 104, GT 80, the GT 80 alone is easily twice the powerplant of your CRRC 55

wayne d 12-15-2012 03:55 PM

In response to heggen
Yes it is.