RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Andy Sheber Pitts s1s (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/11328170-andy-sheber-pitts-s1s.html)

acerc 12-11-2012 03:20 PM

Andy Sheber Pitts s1s

<div id="post_message_23502424">Really wanting to build a Pitts and have been putting everything together for a few months now.
So just to get a mental start on this project I decided to list what I have. And what I plan to do.
The plans are an Andy Sheber 33% Pitts s1s.
The motor is a CRRC 55cc twin. I know most of you won't like that choice. But thats what it is.
Radio gear is Futaba, T8FG tx upgraded to the 12, R6106rx which might be upgraded if an opening canopy is done-haven't decided, S3010 servo's, Life 6.6 3200mah battery, Tech-Aero ultra IBEC for ignition, Miracle double switch, Fiberglass Specialties cowl-canopy- and pant's-the cowl need's to be modified, Cirrus Venture's tailwheel (very scale), and one big box of wood from BUSA. All the wiring I will make myself for a better fit.
The photo is what I'm shooting for. I got a few days this week finishing up a Citabria build for a club member then I will get started. I still have to order the covering which I had not decided for sure what I was going to use untill today, and that will be Aircraft spruce poly-lite. I will wait on ordering the paint from Stits so as to get fresh stuff, no point in sitting on a shelf here for several month's. I think that's about it for now.
Warning: When I'm building I tend to post a lot in or of detail. Reason is I can't stand long so I come here to sit for a bit.</div><!ess><!achme>

scale only 4 me 12-11-2012 04:11 PM

RE: Andy Sheber Pitts s1s

I'd definitely recommend you go up to a full range 8 channel RX for a couple reasons, (I can't see you actually using a park flier RX,, must be a typo)

1-you'll run out of channels once you start using multiple aileron channels and maybe multiple elevator channels,, then add a the throttle kill,, you're at 7 right there. minimum you'll want a 617.

2- with an 8channel RX you'll be able to program the failsafe settings, a must for this size plane IMO

good luck

acerc 12-11-2012 04:15 PM

You got me there. Did not think about dual ele and ail. Thank's.

WacoNut 12-11-2012 06:10 PM

Nice Subject Robert,
I have always like dthis version of the Pitts. I will definetly follow along.
Later!!
Anthony

acerc 12-11-2012 06:32 PM

Thank's Anthony. Glad to have ya aboard. I was sittin here making up a list of things still left to order and realised I have a Sullivan skywriter. Had not planned on smoke, am now.
And if anyone has any advice on this subject, by all means, advise.

acerc 12-12-2012 10:04 AM

Alright, he we go! A little sooner than thought. While I pour over the plans and make copies of all the formers thought I'd post the cowl. It has a square protrusion from the front bottom. In the pic I highlighted it with marker. I can not find a model that has anywhere near this size of a protrusion. And the one I'm modelling after is much smaller. Cutting itdown will come way, way, down the road.

acerc 12-12-2012 11:16 AM

Always something. Got all the parts cut out of the plans. Got the printer fired up. Three copies in and out of ink. Sheesh!
A pic of the wood. Hard to believe that's almost $300 buck'sworth of balsa/ply.
For all you Arfies out their, below is what a plane look's like.LOL

scale only 4 me 12-12-2012 02:01 PM

I think we need to start the A.D.D. Botherhood,,, I have a few planes at the same stage as that Corsair myself ;)

acerc 12-12-2012 02:12 PM

I'd be #1.
Hey, really, start it I'll join. LOL

john josey 12-12-2012 02:51 PM

My favorite subject.

acerc 12-12-2012 02:59 PM

The A.D.D part happened again. Scale, I just realized what you said about the Corsair. It's been there for a little over two years.

TFF 12-12-2012 03:01 PM

The square is the air filter/ fairing. If it is missing it is a S1T or possible Experimental version.

TFF 12-12-2012 03:14 PM

Are those plans still available?

acerc 12-12-2012 03:57 PM

As far as I know.

straitnickel 12-12-2012 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: acerc

Thank's Anthony. Glad to have ya aboard. I was sittin here making up a list of things still left to order and realised I have a Sullivan skywriter. Had not planned on smoke, am now.
And if anyone has any advice on this subject, by all means, advise.
make your own smoke muffler, l have amd it worked much better than store bought. Ill try to get details to you some how.

WacoNut 12-12-2012 04:27 PM

Robert the Pitts beggs for smoke:D
I am also planning on adding smoke to my 1/3 Waco during the rebuild. What scale is the Pitts you are building?

acerc 12-12-2012 04:31 PM

Anthony it is a 33%.

RickBoyer 12-12-2012 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Robert,

Here's a photo of my first 1/3 scale single holer at Toledo 2004. I built two Sheber Pitts S-1S' for TG, Brison 4.8 twin, 23 lbs. Keep it light!! I'll attach a video of my second Pitts in flight at TG 2010 taken in a rough crosswind on asphalt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovHBR1f7ypA

Good luck and I still have some plans,

Rick Boyer

Top Gun 2004 to 2012
Pitts Special S-1S (#1)
Ryan STA
Pitts Special S-1S (#2)

straitnickel 12-12-2012 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: RickBoyer

Hi Robert,

Here's a photo of my first 1/3 scale single holer at Toledo 2004. I built two Sheber Pitts S-1S' for TG, Brison 4.8 twin, 23 lbs. Keep it light!! I'll attach a video of my second Pitts in flight at TG 2010 taken in a rough crosswind on asphalt...

Good luck and I still have some plans,

Rick Boyer

Top Gun 2004 to 2012
Pitts Special S-1S (#1)
Ryan STA
Pitts Special S-1S (#2)

beautiful. I'd like to see more like this.

acerc 12-12-2012 06:12 PM

Hey buddy. Glad to hear on the plans, got a couple guy's wanting them. I can give them your address right. And I downloaded your vidoes from the net. Somewhere I had to explain why they were a little wobbly. Told them with the cross wind's that are always present at FTE's event's, it does not get any better flying than yours.

RickBoyer 12-12-2012 06:23 PM

You're too kind Robert!

But thanks for the nice words on my flying. Nothing like taking a 1/3 scale S-1S off on tarmac, but fun non the less. I've been working on and off on a Sean Tucker 40% Challenger II for designer scale, but got side tracked for two years on a BVM MiG 15 done up in Flite Metal. Some day I'll design a 40% single hole Pitts and try my luck one more time.[&:]

That black, yellow and white paint scheme looks great by the way! Do you have any detailed shots of it? Looks like it has aileron spades on the bottom of the ailerons,

Rick Boyer

Top Gun 2004 to 2012
Pitts Special S-1S (#1)
Ryan STA
Pitts Special S-1S (#2)

RickBoyer 12-12-2012 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Robert, Here's a shot taken in 2012 TG, probably the last time that she'll fly in Lakeland....

Rick Boyer

Top Gun 2004 to 2012
Pitts Special S-1S (#1)
Ryan STA
Pitts Special S-1S (#2)

acerc 12-12-2012 06:42 PM

I have a couple pics of it. Nothing with great detail, but I'm not competing. So it's going to be more of, this is what most pitts have, and that final paint scheme. And no I am not putting the spades on it.

RickBoyer 12-12-2012 06:56 PM

Sounds good Robert,

You'll keep it light that way! If you can end up in the 19 to 21 lb weight range, it'll fly very well!

Rick

acerc 12-12-2012 07:03 PM

And that one is real nice. That's why I took so many picture's of it. A real good reference model. I'm shooting for under 20lbs, wishfull tinking?

RickBoyer 12-12-2012 07:21 PM

Robert, You should be able to keep it under 20 lbs. Mine is heavy due to the scale cockpit, flying wires, paint, large engine and misc scale detail.

Rick Boyer

Top Gun 2004 to 2012
Pitts Special S-1S (#1)
Ryan STA
Pitts Special S-1S (#2)

john josey 12-12-2012 09:19 PM

Hi robert, after all this talk of s1s's i decided to do something with the cockpit, just to add that finishing touch. I've left the smoke system in, but the novelty has definatly wore off, simply because the mess it makes !

I'm doing a kind of build log here if your interested - http://www.rcaircraftonline.co.uk/sh...S-at-1-3-scale

john

wayne d 12-12-2012 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So glad to see someone else building a Sheber Pitts. I'm building the two hole version right now. got about four months into it. This is the first one I'm building, planning on building another one when this is done but way more scale.
I'll be watching and enjoying the progression of your Pitts.
The last picture is the scheme is what I'm shooting for. Belongs to a young lady in California. She emailed a few photos to go by. :D

acerc 12-13-2012 04:23 AM

Nice cockpit work John. What material are you useing. I plan on doing the same with plastistrut, lightweight plastic.
Looking good Wayne. Nice paint scheme.
Good to see others building some Pitts. I'll have plenty of capable people to ask questions of.

acerc 12-13-2012 08:02 AM

Got to it early this morning. The copies are made and glued on. Here's the first piece of cut wood. Now back to the band saw. Woo Hoo!

acerc 12-13-2012 08:53 AM

John Josey how about downsizing your photo's my friend?
I'm working on cutting and a neighbor heard the bandsaw, actually the shop vac,and came over. He was amazed that I had a magnifier hooked up to my bandsaw. And he does small decorative woodworking. So I thought I would ask you guy's, " Do any of you use a magnifying glass on your bandsaw's, scroll saw's, and such?

wayne d 12-13-2012 12:29 PM

Not on the tools, but I use them for my eyeballs.

rs917 12-13-2012 12:55 PM

Great work, Robert. Beautiful plane too. I had never really thought of Pitts paint schemes other than the red/white/black as worth considering, but that black/gold/white is really sharp!<div>
</div><div>You may have already seen these—here's a gallery of pictures of the aircraft. </div><div>
</div><div>http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/gswon/Recent</div>

acerc 12-13-2012 01:51 PM

Thank's rs. And no I have not seen those, Thank you.
The morning started out well, then the craps happened. First I had to dissassemble the band saw, clean and lube the wheel bearings. Then I got several pieces cut and started assembly. At some point in, my A.D.D. lol, did not let me recognize that what at a glance seemed to be a build over was indeed not. It only took about two hours fiddling with trying to align everything to realize it was only a reference, top/bottom, sheet. So thats it for the day.

john josey 12-13-2012 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: acerc

John Josey how about downsizing your photo's my friend?

I'll try again.

john josey 12-13-2012 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

How about this.
</p>

acerc 12-13-2012 03:06 PM

Much better John. I was looking thru your build. I can only hope to build that well. Of course having a kit would be a bit easier. But then I'd miss all this fun.

john josey 12-13-2012 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Test post for pictures not on my PC

</p>

WacoNut 12-13-2012 04:00 PM

Ok I am hooked where can I purchase these plans?
I am a glutten for punishment, I need to build a new fuse for my Waco before I think about the Pitts but this will definetly be on my build list.
Later!!
Anthony

acerc 12-13-2012 04:10 PM

Sent ya a pm Anthony. The more the merrier.