RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Dawn Patrol Rendezvous 2014 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/11592929-dawn-patrol-rendezvous-2014-a.html)

WinterHawke 01-10-2014 04:06 PM

Dawn Patrol Rendezvous 2014

Dawn Patrol Rendezvous 2014

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...ps51acf5ac.jpg

Update your calendars with the dates for the 2014 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous at the National Museum of the United States Airforce, in Dayton Ohio: September 26 - 28th, 2014. Event features full-scale flying replicas, radio control models, re-enactors, antique automobiles, virtual fliers and WWI-theme vendors.

It looks like this year due to the large number of full-scales expected to participate, the R/C flying will be done on the front lawn of the museum in order to allow both groups maximum flying time. The first of many phone conferences and group meetings are taking place now to work out all the logistics for this event.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Air_Force.jpg

I'll should have much better info updates in early February on the event. Meanwhile, if you intend to participate in this year's event, please send me either an email or PM that you're interested, and I'll make sure to have you on my email distribution list (currently being rebuilt following a Yahoo email meltdown last year).

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...ps6c4bb911.jpg

Very best regards,

Lee McDuffee

geezeraviation 01-30-2014 08:54 AM

Lee darned if I can figure out how to send a PM here any more. Can you contact me at [email protected] about the DPR
Regards Doc Morrison

FireBee 01-30-2014 11:20 AM

Lee, been waiting for info. A few quick q's for me and fellow cub members considering the drive:
is flying open to anyone? Is it limited to a certain number of pilots? Any scale welcome? We mostly fly 1/3 and 1/4 here.

Tmoth4 01-30-2014 11:58 AM

Doc, Click on the name Winterhawke and you will get some options.

Steve Percifield 01-30-2014 03:25 PM

Well I'll be..... wondered that too..

Eindecker_pilot 01-30-2014 05:30 PM

Thanks for the update Lee! Looking forward to the event. Haven't flown from the front lawn since DPR '03.

best regards,

Greg

WinterHawke 03-02-2014 07:24 AM

Finally finally finally finally finally

Saturday we had our first in-person meeting with the groups involved with the 2014 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force. Attending were the Museum's special events rep's, numerous full-scale pilots including GWAA members, reennactor's rep. etc. Myself, Doug Cox and Randy Adams represented the R/C participants.

High on the agenda was nailing down the layout and schedule for this year's Rendezsvous. Last November during our first conference call on the DPR the Museum announced the goal to having all groups active at once - meaning the full-scale aircraft flying at the same time as the R/C models.

We'd since spent several months reviewing aerial views of the museum, and reluctantly came to the conclusion that flying at the same time wasn't safely possible unless we split the DPR into two locations, and that was not a viable option either.

So we've brought the Museum back to the plan that's been used since the beginning DPR - we will be alternating R/C flying with the full-scale aircraft. Exact schedule still to be determined, but I'm expecting the flying schedule to be similar to years past.

With THAT decision in place, the rest of the meeting covered changes to the event - mostly modifications to the layout to make it more visitor-friendly and interactive, and also to fit in all the expected aircraft anticipated to attend.

I'm traveling back up north today (through yet another winter storm - this has been one fun winter!!) - I'll have more details this week once I'm off the road. I'm also going to be sending out emails to everyone on my mailing list (and those who've sent me PMs - WAY behind on catching up with those). Look for more info this week on DPR '14.

Best regards,

Lee McD

Eindecker_pilot 03-02-2014 09:55 AM

Would this change the plan to have us up front near the museum? Thanks to you and the volunteers working to figure all this out. Safe travels,

Greg

Laserlloyd 03-02-2014 12:51 PM

Here is the new poster for the DPR 2014, I tried to get the wording change for Radio Models but I guess it was too late but We will see if it get in a next modification.

You can find the latest information on the Aerodrome forum DPR 2014 thread at: http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/up...wants-you.html

I have also added a page on my website when all the forms when they become available at: http://www.fokkerdr1.com/DawnPatrol2014.htm

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...psf700550c.jpg

Hope this helps out.

Lloyd...

Laserlloyd 03-02-2014 12:59 PM

Lee, please add me to you list and send me any forms or information you get so I can update everyone.

Thanks.

Lloyd...

R/C Art 03-02-2014 01:37 PM

Lee
That is great news! Glad that the powers to be came to their senses.
Count me in as a happy camper.
Art

WinterHawke 03-03-2014 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Eindecker_pilot (Post 11749599)
Would this change the plan to have us up front near the museum? Thanks to you and the volunteers working to figure all this out. Safe travels,

Greg

Good afternoon, Greg

Yes, as so eloquently noted by King Arthur, senses were arrived at, and it's possible I may start being able to sleep again!!

The front lawn is out. It had been suggested as an alternative to the original field layout provided by the Museum last November (which basically had us trying to fly in a box 650 ft wide, with full scale aircraft taking off and landing on our left, and Col. Glenn highway traffic on our right). The front lawn would have been (barely) adequate as a flying site, but would have meant that we would have been disconnected from the rest of the event - out of sight, in fact. The logistics of trying to run in essence two Dawn Patrols were extreme - and not at all what the Museum envisions for this event.

While we won't get to do unlimited flying alternating with the full-scale aircraft, we will be in integral part of the event on the back lawn.

The layout of the event is going to change a bit for the better, and as soon as I can get a sketch made up that's legible, I'll share that with the group (later this week I hope I hope I hope). Meanwhile, I have preliminary hotel info that some folks will want.

The Hope Hotel is NOT the main hotel for the DPR '14 - apparently a management changeover (or two) has them somewhat unresponsive to the Museum. So instead, the Museum is suggesting the Holiday Inn on Col. Glenn Highway, the Country Inn, Fairfield Inn, and a list of others. We've been promised that list, and as soon as I get it, I'll relay on. Key points is a group rate (mention Dawn Patrol when registering), restaurants available later than the Hope, and an early breakfast (at least at the Holiday Inn). Again, as soon as I hear more I'll relay on.

Best regards,

Lee McD

WinterHawke 03-03-2014 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Laserlloyd (Post 11749730)
Lee, please add me to you list and send me any forms or information you get so I can update everyone.

Thanks.

Lloyd...

Definitely, Lloyd - now that my nightmare scenario appears to be in the rear-view mirror, I'll definitely be able to keep you abreast of all that I hear.

Bye the bye - saw this year's poster for the first time on Saturday, and it looks outstanding - history buffs will recognise the Sentinel of Verdun, early French Ace Jean Navarre, and his Moraine Saulnier from the painting by Russell Smith (who will be one of the vendors showing his ware at DPR '14).

Best regards,

Lee McD

Laserlloyd 03-03-2014 11:07 AM

Just a quick note about the Hope hotel. I just booked last week and got the DPR discount of $82 a night. The Packys restaurant is the hot stop each night. I can switch to the Holliday Inn and stay there for free but I don't want to miss out on the after show hours get together there. I will be arriving early that week on Wednesday to take part of the League of WW1 Aviation Historians (Over the Front) seminar that week Wed-Fri. I know lots friends that are doing both. I will be once again working in Dave Watts booth this year so all you big guns what to see the real thing come on by...

Horsepoweraviation 03-04-2014 09:02 AM

Lee,
That's good news...not great news!
Great news would be if we flew where we were at the last DPR and fill in some large-ass gopher holes......that would be GREAT NEWS.
If you were going to put a percentage on the likely-hood of that happening...what number would that be?

If Art is going.......... than I guess I also will be there............ :p

If Doug has another "melt down" for being the air boss again.....You can put me down as a back up air boss....(its only fair, since I was the primary reason for the last
melt down ....LOL! LOL! uuuuhhhhemmmm.......sorry Douggie...luv ya mean it!)

HPA

WinterHawke 03-05-2014 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoweraviation (Post 11751344)
Lee,
That's good news...not great news!
Great news would be if we flew where we were at the last DPR and fill in some large-ass gopher holes......that would be GREAT NEWS.
If you were going to put a percentage on the likely-hood of that happening...what number would that be?
HPA

Purt near 100% - along with the fact that we'll be somewhat further stage left from 2011:

While I was talking with GWAA folk on Saturday, Doug and Randy were discussing the lawn with Dave Thomas from the Museum. We will be able to get out multiple times prior to the Dawn Patrol to first help with the field layout, and most importantly, we'll be able to get out there with lawnmowers to start grass cutting several weeks before the event. This also means we'll be able to start filling in holes, etc, and have (finally) a really decent shot at getting the field in good shape.

And not to worry - I already have some tasks I'll be assigning to you( besides your own self-appointed Doug HarassmentMongering)!!

Lee McD

Rebel Flyer 03-05-2014 05:42 PM

Count two of us from Minnesota in on the Rendezvous'... Cal Branton and Kirk Hall.

We are going to have to cancel the Warbirds over the Rockies to go to this one, which I have not missed one yet.

I'm not sure we will have the 1/2 scale Dr-1 done by then, but, we will be bringing four 1/3 scale warbirds to the event.

Can we order great weather for the event now?

List of what we are bringing.

1. 1/3 scale GTM D-6 (always for sale)

2. 1/3 scale Ron Weis Fokker D-8 in Jasta 6 (for sale)

3. 1/3 scale Balsa Usa Fokker D-7(for sale)

4. 1/3 scale Balsa Usa Newport 28 in Rickenbacker Aero Squadron.

5.. If we get it done on time a Busa 1/3 scale Albatross

Thanks Kirk

Billy Clink 03-05-2014 08:18 PM

Lee , Doug , I am asking if I can bring the half scale ? I would Love an invatation to fly and support the ODP for the 2014 Event ! All updates are being made for display and exabition flights ! Billy Thompson

Horsepoweraviation 03-06-2014 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Billy Clink (Post 11752667)
Lee , Doug , I am asking if I can bring the half scale ? I would Love an invatation to fly and support the ODP for the 2014 Event ! All updates are being made for display and exabition flights ! Billy Thompson

Col. Klink.....
If you want to fly at D.P.R. ....Doug, Lee and Randy will be holding all "1/2 scale try-outs" at the ODP in July. (anyone who is anybody will be there... LOL)
So Klink bring your "A" game this summer and maybe you will make the cut this Fall..........LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

See you in the skies William....
HPA

cocobear 03-06-2014 08:02 AM

HP, will ya roll it yet or are ya gonna cry?

jwrich 03-06-2014 09:11 AM

Thanks Lee, this is great news, I'll pass the word to our Okla, Texas and Kansas guys.

Rich

US185Damiani 03-06-2014 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Howdy Gents GAAM is planning on bringing our Rotary powered Triplane and our Sopwith Pup.

Hopefully cyou all there

Horsepoweraviation 03-06-2014 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by cocobear (Post 11752943)
HP, will ya roll it yet or are ya gonna cry?

COBE,
Why don't you start NOW scrapping up some "gas money" to get to ODP and find out for yourself ??

cocobear 03-06-2014 10:36 AM

I hope to be at yours, Percies, the Nats and this show Paul. Life is good again, actually better than in quite some time. Frightening as it sounds, am looking forward to seeing ya.

dave

jeffEE 03-06-2014 11:39 AM

Gee... I guess my 1/4 scale birds will be lost in the GIANT scale show. :( But this 100 year event will never happen again, so I will be going. I am sure that it will be a blast, no matter what size planes are there. Hey, Cal, can I hitch a ride?:confused: