RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Brian Taylor mosquito (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/313355-brian-taylor-mosquito.html)

perico spain 10-13-2002 04:54 PM

Brian Taylor mosquito

I've a Mosquito Pr16 81" from Brian taylor. It is recomended to powr it with two .40 to .70 four stroke motors. I have two .40 cu in two strokes motor. Can I power the plane with them?.
Thanks you very much
[email protected]

LA7flier 10-18-2002 05:48 PM

Brian Taylor mosquito

I have built and flown three Taylor 81 inch Mossies....My current one is powered with 2 OS 70 Surpass engines. We';re I to do a fourth, I would power it with 2 OS 90 Surpass engines.

Martin Irvine 10-20-2002 01:08 PM

Brian Taylor mosquito

A pair of 40 2-strokes will work fine. (The lighter the plane, the better.)

Cheers,

Martin

LA7flier 10-21-2002 02:26 PM

Brian Taylor mosquito

I would definitely recommend staying away from 2 strokes in a twin. That's the reason I lost my first Mossie...engine flamed out and the plane rolled right over. The 81 inch Taylor Mossie will build out between 18 and 20 pounds. No way will 2 stroke 40's fly the plane...as I said, I would put Surpass 90's into it and really enjoy flying the plane like the real one flew!. My 70 Surpass's fly the plane fine in straight and level but into the vertical and the speed bleeds real fast. Couple that with the planform of the Mossie wing and the top of a loop will see the wing snap over and you're into a two rotation spin before you know what has happened...I know, I did it! Go with 90's!

JL1 10-22-2002 11:10 AM

Brian Taylor mosquito

I can't agree with the comment to "stay away from two strokes for reliability reasons". I have four twins, all flying with two stokes, and have not had reliability problems.
I have a 15 lb. Westland Whirlwind with two OS 46's and it flys well. To define "well", I mean 100 ft. Take offs with a 20 degree climb out and, with a high speed entry, loops from level flight. I do not mean unlimited vertical or anything approaching that.

LA7flier 10-22-2002 03:03 PM

Brian Taylor mosquito

Congratulations on your success rate. Clearly, they work for you but I have found them tough to synchronize and tougher to get identical throttle response. I prefer the four strokes when flying a twin. Just my opinion, though.

ghost flyer 10-17-2008 08:47 AM

RE: Brian Taylor mosquito

LA7flier

I just got a Brian Taylor 81 Mosquito Short Kit off of ebay for $160.00. Since you seem to be the only real experienced person on the posts with a Brian Taylor Mosquito I feel your information is much more valuable. I just wanted to know what you did as for retracts and other building ideas. I appreciate your opinion on engine size and I will be going with 90s also. Trying to do a scale loop takes a lot of power. Any other ideas or input would be greatly appreciated. I am excited about the mossie and this will be my third twin. My first one is a Wing Manufacturing P-38 74 inch wingspan with 2 OS 46 FX enignes which is the largest engines they suggest and it barely does a loop at 12 pounds. My second is a Jack Stafford Comanche Twin 76 inch wingspan with 2 Fox .40s and very oddly it does a loop easily at 11 pounds. Like you say I think it depends on the plane. I still have both planes but have lost one engine on the Comanche Twin 5 times, once at the top of a loop, Wooo Hooo. I kill the throttle and make the best landing I can somewhere. Trying to fly on one engine with that plane becomes ugly very fast. Nothing more than some bent landing gear on the crash landings so far.

Ghost Flyer

LA7flier 10-17-2008 11:48 AM

Well thank you for your comments. I do appreciate it and I guess building and flying three of the Brian Taylor 81 inch Mossies count for something. I still have the third one flying though very rarely since she's an old bird that is breaking more easily these days. I looked at the date of this post and realized alot has changed in the past 6 years. Were I to build a fourth ( and I like it so much that I might) I would build it for electric power. There are several great power options that would fly this plane really well and eliminate any chance of an engine out. At 20 pounds ( which would be a heavy airframe for an epower system) you would want 800 to 1000 watts per engine. This is easily doable and would allow you to run scale 3-bladed props. As for retracts, I use firewall mount Spring-Aire retracts and cut the landing gear to a one inch stub and machined a "U-shaped double strut that attached to the stub. I didn't make the tail wheel retractable. I reinforced the area between the wing and the cockpit cutout with several spruce (but you could use carbon fiber) longerons since the nose has to hold a fair amount of balance weight and alot of stress is put onto that relatively small area. The Mossie has a long tail moment so try to make the tail as light as possible. Building it for e power should allow you to do it . There are a couple of good threads on building the Taylor Mossie for Epower on RC Scalebuilder Electric Scale forum as well as RC Universe. Good Luck

ghost flyer 11-30-2008 10:40 AM

I am thinking about the retracts for this beast now. I am going with two .91 4 strokes. i have to have the smoke, noise, and fury of an engine to have the effect. I was wondering if the robart gear for the DC-3 would work for the Mosquito? Has anyone tried this? And Lastly where is a place to get a set of retracts for the Mosquito?

Ghost Flyer

LA7flier 12-01-2008 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: ghost flyer

I am thinking about the retracts for this beast now. I am going with two .91 4 strokes. i have to have the smoke, noise, and fury of an engine to have the effect. I was wondering if the robart gear for the DC-3 would work for the Mosquito? Has anyone tried this? And Lastly where is a place to get a set of retracts for the Mosquito?

Ghost Flyer
I often thought about re-engineing my Mossie with a couple of OS 91 Surpasses....couple reasons I never did...first, it would have required relocating the firewalls which would have been alot of work and second, I had heard that they were not as reliable as the 70 Surpasses (which I had and never had any problems). I'm sure your's will be just fine. Can't help you with the gear as this was always the area that was the most challenging for me. ON a sad note, I lost my Mossie this past weekend...combination of a slow approach and an old airframe put one too many jolts through it and both the back broke as well as the main wing spar. So much fire wood sitting in the middle of the garage....but as I said, I will build a new one with E-power...keep up the good work with yours...

JL1 12-02-2008 08:38 AM

I have a set of Robarts made for the Taylor Mosquito but I think they discontinued them. You might touch base with them and see if they could help.

ghost flyer 12-02-2008 09:22 AM

thanks for the info. i will contact Robart. At least they ought to be able to compare the two and see if they are compatable.

jaka 12-02-2008 11:33 AM

Hi!
Brian Taylor himself suggest .40-.50 four stroke engines!

LA7flier 12-02-2008 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: ghost flyer

thanks for the info. i will contact Robart. At least they ought to be able to compare the two and see if they are compatable.
make sure you are talking about the right sized gear...Taylor's original drawings are for a smaller Mosquito...70 inch wingspan or something like that...most who are building the Taylor Mossie are building the blown size (80 inch wingspan) which require the larger gear (and bigger motors)

ghost flyer 12-02-2008 12:37 PM

He is right. make sure we are talking about the same plane.

Here is a link to Bob Holman plans showing the 71 and 81 inch Brian Taylor Mosquito.

http://www.bhplans.com/BTPlansPg2.html

I emailed Bob Holman and he has sold the Brian Taylor line to Traplet Publications: www.traplet.com

Ghost Flyer

JL1 12-02-2008 02:24 PM

LA7flier, my Mossy is the 80" model and these gear were made for it. I am quite sure they are the right size as they fit just fine.

LA7flier 12-02-2008 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: JL1

LA7flier, my Mossy is the 80" model and these gear were made for it. I am quite sure they are the right size as they fit just fine.
that's good...I never knew Robart made a set for the 80 inch version of the Taylor Mosquito. My first attempt at gear was built around a couple of linear drive shafts running the rear struts up and down which lowered and raised the main struts....never could work out the bugs and went to a Spring Aire firewall mount unit with a home made double strut assembly

ghost flyer 12-02-2008 03:15 PM

I found them listed on the Robart site as discontinued and the link to the dimensional drawing didn't work. I emailed them asking for some more information and maybe the drawing. If the DC 3 retracts would work or the gear could be fabricated using Robart parts that would be sweet.

Ghost Flyer

ghost flyer 12-02-2008 03:19 PM

I noticed someone else posted this on another thread here. But it looks like they do custom work. Might be $$$$$$$$

unitracts from UK made set
I believe that they are on plan as well
http://www.unitracts.co.uk/

JL1 12-02-2008 04:45 PM

My whirlwind whirlwind has the same type of dual strut gear as the Mosquito as you can see in the three view linked below.
On my model, I used a single, side strut the same as most gear but made a "dummy" strut out of tube and balsa for the other side.
When you look at it, you can't tell the difference.
You also might want to look at the Fults struts as a possible answer. http://www.fultstooling.com/

http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vue...lwind_1_3v.jpg

ghost flyer 12-02-2008 09:16 PM

By the way incase you are looking for pictures of mossies:

http://www.mossie.org/Mosquito_loc.htm

Also has anyone found a cockpit kit for these 81 inch mossies or at least some stuff to help fabricate one?

Ghost Flyer

ghost flyer 12-02-2008 09:39 PM

http://www.mossie.org/models/Jeff_Bo...g_Mosquito.htm

Another good link

JL1 12-03-2008 05:16 AM

The Mosquito is a great plane, I saw Kermit Weeks fly his at Oshkosh a few years ago and it was something to behold.

ghost flyer 12-03-2008 07:39 AM

Wish I could of seen that. Are there any Mossies flying anymore?

Here is a bunch of old boys in Scotland that flew one in 84

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp0486rsaAM

Ghost Flyer

JL1 12-03-2008 04:52 PM

Weeks plane is in the Eaa museum now and there are others undergoing restoration but I don't believe that any are currently flying.