RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   GTM Hanriot Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/3349972-gtm-hanriot-build.html)

V2PLUS10 09-22-2005 09:29 PM

RE: GTM Hanriot Build

1 Attachment(s)
Work continues but small changes only. Did get to run the OS 160 twin today which was a thrill. It's my first twin cylinder engine and boy am I hooked! The first two pictures show the aft fuselage and the elevator bell crank. Pull-pull wires go to the bell crank from the servo and a short pushrod then connects the elevator to the bell crank, as per the original.

I've decided to build the stab/elevator next. First step is to laminate the spar. Glenn thoughtfully provides little arrows on the ribs so you know which way is up, as they are not quite symmetrical.

V2PLUS10 09-23-2005 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the stab to the "set aside till later" point today. Went together really well. The tips are three laminations of balsa-1/32ply-balsa and make for a strong outline yet is light and the edges are sandable. Used a new (to me anyway) product called 'Super Phatic' which I'm told is an aliphatic resin without the fillers. It wicks almost like ca but does not smell and sets like any other wood glue. Great for things like this stab that are assembled dry then glued. I really like it......it is available from Hobby Lobby. First picture is the stab pinned in place, then the nearly finished frame. The elevators are next.......

fwman1 09-23-2005 11:26 PM

Would you mind describing the materials used to make the elevator pull-pull axle, and bell crank? Does it ride in wood holes, or is there a brass bushing? I'm about to tackle a setup similiar to this. I'm enjoying the build. Great work.
Roger

V2PLUS10 09-23-2005 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Roger,

The bellcrank is that stuff they call G-10 I think. The 10 part is the thickness, comes in 8 and 12 also as far as I know. It is a material like fiberglass but is very strong. I suspect it is just the stuff they use for printed circuit boards. I found some at a model rocket web site as they use it for fins. I think McMaster-Carr also carries it.

Anyway, the axle is just a 1/4" spruce dowel, that is glued into the fuselage uprights. The bellcrank has a short length of aluminum tubing glued in it, so the bellcrank and tube rotate around the fixed dowel. The black stuff you see is heat shrink tubing that I slid over the dowel and ca'd in place just to keep the bellcrank assembly from sliding back and forth.

Good Luck!

Randy

wascamp 09-24-2005 01:47 AM

Randy,
One silly question. Did you have to cut all of the rabitts in the main longerons or did they come precut. That looks like enough work to stop all but the most dedicated builders.

V2PLUS10 09-24-2005 10:08 AM

You know I thought about cutting those for a long time before starting. Some spruce can be tough to cut. What I eventually did was take a little razor saw and glued a length of 1/8th square balsa to the blade, just exposing enough blade to give me a controlled 3/32" deep cut. Then I pinned the longerons to the plan, marked the locations for all the uprights using a square and pencil, then removed the longerons and made all the cuts with the razor saw. I've mentioned before that this spruce, what ever variety it is, is the nicest wood to work with. A little careful chiseling with an x-acto knife produced the rabitts, and I did a little finish filing with a little square needle file. It really was not that bad, there really aren't that many of them. I also had a small flat rasp that I found at the Woodcrafters store, it was just over 1/4" wide so I ground the edges back and that worked well also, but mostly I just used the x acto knife. I did not cut the longerons for the second side till the first side was done and I could lay one over the other, and mark the locations for the uprights, so the sides would be as perfectly matched as possible. I really spent more time thinking about how to do it than I did actually doing it!! I could have cut two or three in the time it took to write this! Be carefull to test fit the 1/4" square that you use for the uprights though, as not all 1/4 square is exactly 1/4 inch, it may vary just enough to yield a loose joint....

Randy

wascamp 09-24-2005 10:27 AM

Randy,
So when you finish this are you going to build a Chippendale Amoir or a Louis XIV desk? You will have the tools and skills. You might try to buy some stock in the Woodcrafters Corp. With all the stuff you buy from them the stock is sure to rise. I had sneaky suspision that the longs were not precut.
Thanks for the timly reply.

V2PLUS10 09-24-2005 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Roger,

Here is a picture of my elaborate tools......I'll bet you have some just like them!!!

My wife saw the pilot seat from the Hanriot and actually said she wanted one just like it for the house! A little larger of course, and with legs!

Randy

wascamp 09-24-2005 10:43 AM

Randy,
Hey, those look just like the tools I used to build my wife her Chippendale table. LOL

deljon 09-24-2005 11:05 AM

Randy,
It's hard to tell for sure in the picture, but did you do the same thing for the cross pieces??
I didn't even notice it till Roger brought it up. Looks "real" nice.

Del

V2PLUS10 09-24-2005 11:27 AM

Del,

No, the cross pieces are just butt joints. I thought about it but I think another rabitt or mortise in the same location as the uprights would have weakened the structure instead of strenghtening it. i think you would have to offset the crossmembers from the uprights to get any benefit, but that would look awful!

Randy

V2PLUS10 09-24-2005 02:43 PM

Roger,

I was wrong about that bellcrank material. it is called G-10, and there is a fire retardant version called FR-4.......it's available here....http://www.jjorly.com/g10_fr4_sheets_fabricator.htm

I've used the G-10 for control horns and bellcranks and other things. Use CA to join it to balsa or ply....

Randy

fwman1 09-24-2005 03:44 PM

Thanks Randy. That is what I thought I might try to do, and you have confirmed it will work. I have some of the G-10 around the shop, and was expecting that it would do the job here. Love the work. Thanks for taking the trouble to show us how something like this goes together.

The other Roger
"how many Roger's are there on this ship anyway!" Spaceballs :D:D:D

V2PLUS10 09-24-2005 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nearly managed to complete the stab/elevator assembly today. There are a surprising number of parts associated with the elevator outline, but the fit is excellent and it goes together very well. I was carefull to dry fit all the laminations to insure that I understood how it all went together. There are three laminations and a total of 8 parts in each half of the elevator outline. The butt joints are all notched and are all staggered so no two joints lie on top of each other. Glenn describes it as a puzzle and that is pretty accurate.

The first picture shows the initial setup and parts seemingly everywhere, the second shows what a little time and glue can accomplish.....the scale hinges need to be bolted to the stab still and the attachment holes for the stab-fuselage bolts need to be drilled ...maybe tomorrow.

fwman1 09-25-2005 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Randy, I finished the elevator pull-pull for my D7 following the lead here. I did do a bit beefier version, as my plane will weigh upwards of 20#. Thanks for the tips.

V2PLUS10 09-25-2005 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That looks great. You will need the strength..I hope to come in at about 14lbs with the Hanriot. I was concerned about the 1/4" dowel as the sole support for the elevator bellcrank, but then I took a 2 3/4" length and tried to break it by hand....pretty sturdy stuff!

The rudder and fin were framed today. The first picture shows the rudder parts laid out, all the outline parts are then laminated. Once again the near-finished product in the last picture. Still need to install hinges and sand to shape, but work progresses...Next I need to drill some various holes and finish installing the stringers on the fuselage. Lots of little stuff. The rudder control horn is already installed so that is why it no longer lays flat..

V2PLUS10 09-25-2005 09:40 PM

What size is your D-7? I'd like to build one someday, I don't have any models from "the other side" yet, all mine are British, French or American. A DR-1 may be in my future also..

Does your bellcrank rotate on the dowel or does the dowel and all turn?

Randy

V2PLUS10 09-29-2005 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Changes are small but significant. Measured about 400 times and am now pretty satisfied with the stabilizer fit. The fin and rudder are ready to have their respective holes drilled and fit into place. It should work out OK.....First picture is the stab and elevator with the scale hinges in place. Next is the fin, it is just sitting there, the pin at the stab spar will hold it but the hole needs to be drilled. Next is the fin and rudder in place, it is starting to look like an airplane!!

fwman1 09-29-2005 10:32 PM

Randy. Sorry, but I have not visited till now. The D7 is a BUSA kit. 88" ws. 1/4 scale supposedly. The dowel has a brass tube glued to the center, and another tube was glued to the bellcrank. So, it is brass on brass. I used some 1/16 ply plates glued to the dowel to keep things centered. The dowel is fixed, but I made it removable, just in case. I've added the servos mounts, and have the fuselage about done, less the cockpit. The wings and tail are already built, but the wing still has a fair amount of work remaining.

I am very impressed with your plane's progress. It can't help but be a beauty. It's a shame to cover up all those great details.

I saw you'd registered on RCSB. Good to have you there too. I have a thread there called Leisurely paced BUSA Fokker DVII Build. It's under the BUSA forum.

Who was the French Ace who flew the Hanriot? Was it Fonck? (sp?)

Roger

V2PLUS10 09-29-2005 10:49 PM

The French did not use the Hanriot in WWI....From what I've read only Italy and Belgium used the Hanriot in the war. Belgian ace Willy Coppens was probably the most famous, not well known here though, if at all. A friend of mine was in the Belgian Air force and Willy is of course well known there. He had 37 kills, 26 of them were balloons. The US navy had a few, and the Swiss had some. Was supposed to be a pretty good airplane for it's day. The Hanriot factory had been building Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutters before this design. You can see that the cabane strut layout is similar to the Strutter....

I was going to do the double brass tube thing also but that meant using a smaller dowel, or enlarging the hole in the bellcrank and there really wasn't enough extra material to do that. What I did do was harden the dowel with CA...might help a little, but I do not expect any problems from the setup. Tried an old fiberglass arrow shaft too, but the diameter was off just enough so it wouldn't work.

Finally learned how to properly size pics for upload to RCSB but all the pics taken to date are too large.....

Randy

abufletcher 09-30-2005 01:44 AM

This really is looking good! How long do you figure you've got invested in it so far and how many more months (at your current pace) would you imagine it taking?

V2PLUS10 09-30-2005 09:11 AM

It is tough to say how much longer it will take. The framing goes pretty fast but all the little details will slow things down. When it comes to the scale details most of the time is spend wondering just how you are going to do something, how to make it look just so and then how to make the whole thing function and fly! I hope to have the wings framed by the end of October. One hurdle that needs jumping is that the aileron servos are shown mounted in the top wing, but there is no straight forward way to route the wires to the rx in the fuselage. Could hide the wires for static and then just pull them out and route them throught the cockpit for flying. Could put a second reciever in the upper wing, battery pack and all. Maybe I'll put the servos in the lower wing with a push-rod to the aileron, the original had cables routed that way, but the leverage does not look good, the connecting point is near the hinge line and it would be a tough push for the servo unless I connect the ailerons with a cable through the top wing in the "closed loop" system that many of these old biplanes used........once I decide the actual installation will be quick......maybe!

Our local contest is in June, but I hope to be done long before that....I started Sept 7th..

Randy

fwman1 09-30-2005 11:15 AM

Randy,
Coppens sounds familiar to me. I can't even remember where I saw the small blip about this design. My mind must have register "French" with the name. To be honest I don't really know anything about it, or the mfg. Got any links to further my education/appreciation?

You should be finished next week. ;) That is a remarkable amount of progress for just a few weeks. Especially considering the parts count, and detail. Very nice.

I have found that if I shoot my pics on lowest quality on my digital camera, I can then half size them in the IRFANVIEW freeware. Using this process, I have been able to upload successfully.

V2PLUS10 09-30-2005 11:35 AM

Well the airplane is French....designed by Frenchmen and built by same.....The French military apparently were happy with their Nieuports and SPADS and so did not use the Hanriot... The HD in HD-1 stands for Hanriot-Dupont....oui oui!

There are a lot of parts but the kicker is that they all FIT ! I am enjoying the build just as others who have built GTM kits said I would.

The program I have for our digital camera has two sizing options and if I use the smaller of the two it works...

Randy

John Cole 09-30-2005 04:36 PM

Randy, really great work you're doing. And speaking of Willy Coppens, I finished my Proctor N-11(actually a N-16) in his scheme. At that time, he had the 'coquette' on the side of his plane, before the thistle. Good stuff, keep it up!

John