RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Scale Bearcat deal (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/40956-scale-bearcat-deal.html)

Jere L 01-25-2002 09:01 PM

Scale Bearcat deal

I've stumbled onto a deal where I can get a built scale Bearcat,its engine, and a Futaba 4 Channel radio system for $300.00 and I was wondering what you guys might think of the deal.

The plane was built and flown by an experienced modeler who is moving to larger scale airplanes. He has a good rep as a builder and pilot as I've come to find out.

It has been in the air some 40 or so times and is a few years old, but in prime shape. Its a built up kit that has been covered and then airbrushed, has a 52" wingspan with no retracts. On the whole detailed very well, with scale gun barrels in the wings, and a nice cockpit and canopy.

The engine is a .45 FSX that has reportedly never been run lean. On the whole the plane could be gassed up and flown right now, even though its been sitting "in the barn" for a while.

There is more, but thats the bare bones of it. What do you think, should I hop on it?

My feeling is yes, even though I don't have a need for the radio.

Thanks for the input.

Jere

Jack Devine 01-26-2002 03:57 PM

Bearcat

A complete flying airplane that is in good shape and includes the radio for three hundred dollars is a good deal anytime in my book. The Bearcat is an excellent model and if they have been built correctly (Straight) then it should fly very well. You stated the model has been sitting for some time and the one thing I would strongly recommend is a thorough inspection of the airframe especially the firewall/motormount area and all of the servo and linkage attachment points on the flight surfaces. There is a Bearcat model in a local hobby shop that has no radio or engine but is does have retracts and they are asking $250.00 for it. It is a Royal with about a 60" wingspan and I'll bet it sells. I think you would be getting a good deal. Check the Radio and receiver batteries and cycle them a few times to make sure they are usable. If they show even a minor drop in power replace them.
Good luck!
Jack Devine

Jere L 01-28-2002 02:49 AM

Scale Bearcat deal

Thanks for the insights....I jumped on the deal and now have it at home as my newest hanger queen...at least until the weather warms up :D

I got a little more information from the man who built the model, and decided that I'd be too big a fool to let this go.

The stats on the airplane are:

F8F Bearcat with 52" wingspan, scratchbuilt from Ziroli plans.
Built up balsa, no foam, and fully balsa sheeted. Then covered with cover right (sp?), sanded, then airbrushed. Gorgeous job. This man knows how to build straight, true, and beautiful. I only hope that my modeling skills can get to that level some day.

The engine is ringed, and purrs like a kitten. I can't wait to get it out to the field. :cool:

See ya at the field...

Mike James 01-29-2002 02:17 AM

Pictures!

Hi,

I love Bearcats. Sounds like you got a great deal. So, show us some photos!

Jere L 01-29-2002 08:55 PM

Bearcat Photos

Will do,

I just need to get some film developed and scan them in. At my rate of photo development though, this could take a while :D

Jere