RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Aluminum Paint (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/49471-aluminum-paint.html)

TopShelf 02-07-2002 03:54 PM

Aluminum Paint

I got a TF P51D for Christmas and am planning on doing a fiberglass and paint covering and was wondering what a good aluminum paint was. I have used Lustrecoat for small parts but really can't imaging doing an entire plane. I would like something I could use my spray equipment with. I was considering Nelson water soluble paint but I don't see anything close to aluminum on the color chart.

Thanks,

Kent

deputydog 02-07-2002 06:31 PM

aluminum paint

K & B may have put out Aluminum in their new Ultra Poxy series but by far the easiest to do would be to go to the car dealer and get a pint from them. Pick out your favorite silver auto and go. Or if you only want the BEST..... get the BMW or Mercedes Silver!!LOL ;)

Good luck!

SDCrashmaster 02-07-2002 07:23 PM

Aluminum Paint

Silver paint will not give you the desired effect of aluminum. Try PPG. They make an acrylic eurothane alimunim-like paint. I used it on some furniture as a base underneath tinted clear. It was so nice and aluminumy that I almost wanted to leave it that way but that was not the effect I was after.

jbflier 02-07-2002 08:49 PM

TopShelf

A friend of mine is cuurently painting a Top Flite DC-3 with Nelson Paints. The scheme is Orange, Silver, and White, with Black trim. He is a very experienced builder, but had never used the Nelson system. It took some time, (experimenting,spraying,reducing,etc) but he finally got to the point where he really likes the opaques.....But the Silver is a tough one to work with, even after talking to Jerry Nelson. He finally got it though, and after the clear coat is applied, it will be beautiful. The great thing is, there's no odor at all, super simple water clean up. But, if you want simplicity, the PPG may be a better route.

TopShelf 02-07-2002 09:21 PM

Aluminum Paint

Guys,

Thanks for the responces!

So PPG? That's automotive paint right? Is it GLOW fuel proof?

I didn't see a silver listed on the Nelson web site. jbflier, did your friend have it custom mixed?

Kent

SCALECRAFT 02-08-2002 01:02 AM

Aluminum Paint

Hi

I have a question. Can one use the PPG Alum behind a layer of clear epoxy in a mold then layup a model in the mold. I tried to do that with chrome silver and it made it look grey.

Thanks

deputydog 02-08-2002 03:05 AM

Aluminiummmmm

Yea, PPG is a great way to go too, but not too many people know that a mustang was not bare aluminum. It was painted!! Alot of the mustangs that are flying today are painted a metalic silver and if you get real close its metal flake. If you want to go real metal then just go get FLITE-METAL and apply that.

You can put the PPG in the mold but it will always slightly distort the color. Again it will come out greyish.

jbflier 02-08-2002 09:12 AM

TopShelf

Originally posted by TopShelf
Guys,

Thanks for the responces!

So PPG? That's automotive paint right? Is it GLOW fuel proof?

I didn't see a silver listed on the Nelson web site. jbflier, did your friend have it custom mixed?

Kent

I appologize......I meant to say Aluminum, not Silver.