RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   SR Eindecker E1 Winter Build Along… (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/5029381-sr-eindecker-e1-winter-build-along%E2%80%A6.html)

nickbee 11-23-2006 01:12 AM

SR Eindecker E1 Winter Build Along…

I’m starting up this build along thread on my SR E1. My motivation for posting is two fold. I‘d like to share my building experience with people thinking of getting this kit and I’ll be able to bug you guys with questions while I’m building (so check back often).

Why the SR E1?
I’ve built a few SR kits and I know how much fun they are. I’ve been out of the hobby for a few years now and wanted to get a more “tame” flyer before getting back into larger acrobatic models. Also I’ve always had an eye for WWI birds. To me the SR kit presents a good mix of an old looking plane with modern materials and design.

This kit is going to present a bunch of firsts for me.

My First:
• Large Scale Plane
• Gas Engine
• Use of digital servos
• Smoke System
• Building on an magnetic board

Now before all the hardcore scale guys start bashing me I’m building this kit as a “sport-scale” model and I’m ok with that. Meaning the sport aspect is coming before scale. My goal is to have the best flying E1 possible with some nice scale details. I know a scale E1 would never have a carbon fiber prop, but if it’s the best prop for the engine that’s what I’ll use. I promise I’ll get a good scale wood prop for some still shots.

Also this thread is not meant to be a kit review. I will be deviating from the plans or instructions at certain times based on my research on this and other sites. I’m sure if you build the E1 exactly to the plans and instructions it will come out great. That’s just not my intention with this kit.

There will be some “overkill” on this kit. For example I know this kit does not require digital servos. My motivation is to learn new techniques with this kit so I’m ready for my next plane, most likely a large-scale aerobatic plane. This kit is designed to be built on any flat surface. A magnetic building board is not necessary but it will be a good leaning experience for my next build. Also I’m not in a rush to get this plane built. My only goal is to have the maiden flight in the spring.

So far this is what I have on order for this plane:
• G26 from rcignitions.com with ignition conversion (mostly to save weight since I’m adding a smoke system)
• Slimeline pitts muffler with smoke
• Slimeline showtime sport smoke pump
• Mejzlik 18x6 Prop
• 5 Hitec Digital HS-6985HB for control surfaces
• 1 Hitec HS-635HB for throttle
• Hitec Fusion 9 Channel Receiver
• Electronic kill switch / relay from rcatsystems.com
• 2 Slimline Excel fuelers (one for gas, one for smoke)

I’ll be using my Futaba 9C Super for a transmitter.

If you have not seen it yet Paul from airfield models has a great write up on this kit:
http://www.airfieldmodels.com/galler...r_e1/index.htm

I’ll be implementing some of the suggestions from this write up. Particularly the hardwood wing tie downs (also highly recommended by users of this site) and most likely the aircraft ply firewall. I’ve also commissioned Paul to paint my pilot / wheels / gun. I don’t have to equipment or the skills to attempt painting these scale accessories.

nickbee 11-23-2006 01:15 AM

RE: SR Eindecker E1 Winter Build Along…

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the contents of the kit box with the deluxe accessory package. The 21lb box has a dimension of 45.5” x 13” x 6.25”. Wait, 21 lbs? The flying weight of this thing is 17ish lbs. 21 lbs is without the weight of an engine or radio equipment. Kinda gives you an idea of how much is going to be left on the shop floor. Ok and maybe a few pounds of that is packaging and documentation (The manual is probably half a pound).

My 1st impressions when opening the box is WOW there is lots of stuff. It’s intimidating for a second, and then I remember this is a winter build and I’m not in a rush. All parts are bagged and tagged VERY well. Everything arrived from upstate NY without any apparent damage. So far so good!

The 1st few days will be spent reviewing the 110-page instruction manual and prepping parts for the wings. I’m still working on my magnetic building board, so it will be a week or so until I start the major building. The left wing panel will be the 1st thing tackled.

nickbee 11-23-2006 01:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the “before” shots of the stuff that is on the way to Paul for painting.

abufletcher 11-23-2006 04:24 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to seeing it. Make sure you take a photo of your magnetic building board -- I've always been curious about those.

camdyson 11-23-2006 05:50 AM

G'day Nickbee,

Looks like the usual suspects are onto your thread - you out there Feep?;)

I was considering the Slimline smoke muffler too - I presume from their webpage it will be a Pitts-style muffler, and was wondering if it would fit with the engine hard-mounted straight to the firewall. If it fits ok, sounds like a good idea.

Also discovered my G26 needs a new carb mount to get the throttle arm around the right way - the basic black one that came on the motor puts the carb 90 degrees out.[:@] Have one on the way.

Happy building,

Cam

nickbee 11-23-2006 08:07 AM

That’s a good question Cam… I’m assuming the pitts style muffler will fit fine but I won’t know for sure till the engine and muffler are in.

Another nice benefit of the rcignition conversation is they reconfigure the carb somehow where no bell crank is needed. Just a straight wire / pushrod from the throttle servo should be fine.

nickbee 11-23-2006 02:33 PM

Abu,

Here’s a great article on building with magnets:
http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...oard/index.htm

This is basically the system I’m going to use. For a board I’m going to use a piece of sheet metal attached to a large piece of plate glass using silicon adhesive. That should keep everything as flat as possible.

nickbee 11-23-2006 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I dove into the kit today and started “popping” out the main ribs for the wing build. I’ve built a few of SR’s laser cut kits so I knew what to expect. Most of the parts fall right out of the sheets. A few that are not “burned” all the way through require some persuasion with an exacto knife. Overall the quality of the balsa and the “raw” parts is excellent. Also each part is labeled, a nice touch, but lets see if they are legible after a light sanding to prep the parts.

Here is a shot of all the main balsa ribs.

Tomorrow I sand!

CafeenMan 11-24-2006 02:08 AM

NickBee - I did more than a light sanding and even though I wanted to get rid of the lettering it was still clearly visible. That's not something you need to worry about. Thanks for the opportunity to do some of the work for you.

When I make the pilot mount I'll also make a template you can use to drill holes in the cockpit for him.

The magnets I used to hold the ribs are about 1" x 2" x 3/8" available from Lowes. They weren't real cheap but they are stronger than the the ceramic magnets that come with the latch magnets (when the plates aren't attached) and have been very useful in other projects.

abufletcher 11-24-2006 04:46 AM

BTW, for any Eindecker fan who doesn't already know abou this, you absolutely HAVE TO download the free screensaver from the SR site:

http://www.srbatteries.com/wallpapr/e1wall.htm

Talk about a GREAT scale photogragh -- and GREAT light!

olddogg60 11-24-2006 09:20 AM

Hi nickbee,
There is a nice build article about the SR Eindecker in the February, 2005 issue of RCM magazine. If you could find a copy it might be helpful for you. Coincidently, I just happened to be reading the article last night. I'm starting to get the urge to build a WWI fighter model and I have been going through my old magazines looking at the kits available. All I have to do is finsh the 2 projects that I have going now. :)

Best regards,
Bill

nickbee 11-24-2006 10:20 AM

Good Stuff CafeenMan!

I'm about a week from having the building board done so I have plenty of time to prep things and gather magnets. I'll check my local Lowes for those larger magnets.

Thanks again!

BTW Check your local listings for Modern Marvels on the history channel. The episode entitled “WWI Tech” featured the Eindecker as the 1st fighter plane that could shoot through the propeller. They had some good still shots, and a computer animation showing the concept of the mechanical interrupter.

feep 11-24-2006 06:08 PM

Hey, you don't check in one day and there's a whole new thread with a dozen posts!!!

Nickbee, I'm looking forward to your build thread. I hope I can help. I hear where you"re comming from about your reasons for doing things and I am looking forward to seeing your smoke system as well as the engine upgrade.

I'm considering doing a 1/4 scale scratch build of the E111 with wing warping and I am thinking of making a set of wings for my SR Eindecker with wing warping. They would only serve to show me how a plane with wing warping handles before I go through the whole scale build and have to hold my breath on a maiden with them. The full flying elevator on My Sr Eindecker Had a learning curve as far as the build goes but the flying aspect was not much of a problem.

I have some videos of my plane that you guys may enjoy but I haven't figured out how to post them. Would they be appropriate on this thread?

Bud Faulkner 11-24-2006 07:18 PM

Check out the video of the 1/3 eindecker with wing warping.

http://www.indyflyer.com/dawn/dawn2006.htm

feep 11-25-2006 12:40 AM

Yeh Bud I saw that video and I talked to him durring the Summer. Interesting comment he made concerning wing warping." I'm ready for a plane with ailerons." There's no substitute for expirience so I think I'll follow this idea. The SR Eindecker will roll but it needs a lot of sky and when I make my cross wind turns, I try to keep it as flat as possible to prevent the wind from flipping it over. I don't imagine it will be terribly different with wing warping.

nickbee 11-25-2006 02:17 AM

Hey Feep! Welcome to the party. Go ahead and post anything you want. There is not going to be much building over the next week while I prep parts and my new workbench.

abufletcher 11-25-2006 02:26 AM

Personally, while I absoluted hated the fat wing that remained from my kit-bash (trash?) of the BUSA Eindecker, I was really glad to have ailerons. I'm not (or least wasn't then) a good enough pilot to fly with wing-warping only (which from what I hear is sort of like "wing assisted 3-channel flying.'

So I can live with the ailerons. But for me, two MUST-DO modifications for a kit as nice as the SR Eindecker would be a full-flying Rudder and stab. These are not hard modifications to make (though they involved a bit of brainstorming) and make all the difference in the world in terms of scale appearance. The SR model is such a great kit, it deserves this! :D

nickbee 11-25-2006 09:40 AM

Thanks a lot guys! You have me thinking about a full flying elevator now. How did you accomplish this? Something similar to the “carbon hinge” used on the rudder? I’m curious (just curious) at this point.

abufletcher 11-25-2006 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: nickbee
Thanks a lot guys! You have me thinking about a full flying elevator now. How did you accomplish this? Something similar to the “carbon hinge” used on the rudder? I’m curious (just curious) at this point.
Everyone seems to come up with their own unique solution to how to do "hinge" the stab and rudder. Some people makue up brackets for the center spar of the stab. I used a thick-walled aluminum tube as the spar and slipped this through a length of heavy styrene tube before I did the construction of the stab. I then strapped and expoxed this tube to the end of the fuse -- which strange as it sounds is almost scale.

The Rudder is also handled in different ways. Basically it involved running a "hinge wire" between some kind of support on the top (near where the curve on the comma shaped rudder starts) to the tip of the bottom skid pylon. I used a cut down tail wheel support (mounted inverted) on the top to simulate the dog-leg bracket on the original.

Everyone seems to find their own way and I'm sure I'll find one that works well for you. Lots and lots of SR builders, including Feep, have done these conversions.

Bud Faulkner 11-25-2006 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did not add any amount of scale to mine (but may later) but I did add the straight edge tape everywhere. It gives it a nice added touch.

abufletcher 11-25-2006 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Bud Faulkner
I did not add any amount of scale to mine
There's also something to be said for the degree of sheer willpower that "leaving well enough alone" requires! :D You've got a great looking model there, Bud.

Bud Faulkner 11-25-2006 01:16 PM

I'm kinda sorry I didn't go into any real detail now but it was such a pleasure to build I may just have to get another one and break out my documentation cd. ;)

abufletcher 11-25-2006 01:20 PM

If I might ask, what exactly is it about the SR Eindecker that makes it such a pleasurable build? Is it just because everything fits perfectly with no hassles? Or is it the sheer size? Or simplicity? Just what makes for a "pleasurable" kit?

Bud Faulkner 11-25-2006 02:25 PM

I've been building r/c since 1962 and they were kits of course back then with some builds from plans. They didn't always fit per the instructions and some fudging was required but after building the SR eindecker I couldn't believe how well engineered the kit was. It reminded me of the old Frank Zaic kits where the parts almost fell out and back then his were die cut but beautifully done with top notch quality control. There were absolutely no deviations or fudging with this kit. It went together so well I thought I was getting better at building. :) Outside of a Proctor kit this eindecker kit ranks at the top of my favorite builds. I just wish SR would do another WWI...maybe a DR.I?

feep 11-25-2006 03:35 PM

ORIGINAL: nickbee

Well my full flyimg stab is not strictly scale by any means and it has evolved a little since I first did it but as it stands now it works well and its surprising how effective it is.

I first started with the stab as one piece using the leading edge carbon rod as the pivot. I did the fuse as instructed and simply filled in the slots for the kit stab with balsa. My stab just rested in a notch at the rear of the fuselage held there by the pull/pull lines. One of my mishaps broke the stab in two and I then redid the fuselage by taking out the ply at the rear and adding some cross bracing. I used a brass tube at the rear of the fuslage to accept the carbon fiber pivot and again the elevators were held in place by the pull/ pull lines just as the rudder is. Originally,I used SR's control horns for my elevator but they are designed to go aroubd the pivot rod and I found out (by accident) thata I had a situatin called ackerman. Long story short I made my own control horns from brass and it solved the problem. The original aircraft had a steel pivot rod with simple, straight horns welded to it but I was hesitant to glue a control horn or jepordize the integrity of the carbon fiber pivot by drilling into it.

I did it to see how it would fly, not to make it more scale but as an aside it actually lengthens the fuselage making it look mmore like an E111 than an E1