RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Fokker DV (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/7892607-fokker-dv.html)

Prop Nut 08-27-2008 05:18 PM

Fokker DV

1 Attachment(s)
So, what are your thoughts on a Fokker DV in 1/3rd scale? Pretty much an Eindecker tail, a Tigermoth top wing..... :D

jtisch 08-27-2008 05:42 PM

RE: Fokker DV

Very cool!!

Why not do a DII so you don't have to do a spinner(although the cowl is smaller,if that is a concern). Would you do wing warping or add ailerons?Biplane wing warping would definitely be an adventure!!

OOPS,DV has ailerons,my bad.

Prop Nut 08-27-2008 07:26 PM

Does anyone know how the TigerMoth wings go together? I could build them pretty much the same way. They have a swept back wing with that thick center.

jumpinjan 08-27-2008 09:37 PM

I have done a lot of research on the D.V and I need to point out the wing span is pretty excessive. The undercarrage is a little strange as it has both Vee-struts canted backwards, so the axle is ahead of both struts. The cabanes can be pretty strong; The top wing sections plug into the center-cabane section which was all welded tube. Overall, yes, its a pretty neat airplane, especially with the streaked camo. I'm presently building the 1/8 scale AerodromeRC Fokker D.V in electric.
Jan

abufletcher 08-27-2008 10:22 PM

That 1/3 scale full-flying elevator would be something to behold (and to build)! I say go for it!!!

JohnF 08-28-2008 01:20 AM

David, I understand the wanting to do something different thing. Why not consider enlarging Dave Johnson's SSW DIII plan to 1/3 scale? Of course you'll have to find or make a cowl and a spinner. A 1/3 scale Albatros spinner will work fine if you don't mind paying the price and buying it from Arizona Models. Then you'll also want to make a four blade prop. It would make a really cool 1/3 scale model. You can buy the 1/4 scale plan from Model Airplane News in case you don't know that.

Sethhunter 08-28-2008 05:09 AM

Very interesting plane. Hardware for the flying tailplanes increases the tail weight just a tad. With that short nose, you'll have to save grams where ever you can. There are lots of ways to make a spinner so I wouldn't shy away for that reason. (Looks like the aircraft in the picture does have one anyway!). If the center section is thick enough, you might be able to squeeze a tube/sleeve into it to join the panels. I'm taking that route on a 1/4 scale Pfalz DXV.

Prop Nut 08-28-2008 06:39 AM

The spinner is availible, a buddy is looking into getting me one now.

The 1/3 scale wingspan is 114 and change but I am scaling it down to 106.

The flying tail is a bit of a worry but I might go with some of the very good ideas to be found on the web for retrofiting the Balsa USA Eindecker 80" (And Don's build of the .40cc) for a full flying tail.

The landing gear I have been looking at, not real happy with the canalevered (sp?) gear as it puts alot of pressure on the gear for landing but I have a couple ideas, including a reverse dogleg on the gear inside the plane to take up the pressure.

The short nose problem is not nearly as bad as my Sopwith Triplane is, but making the tail as light as possible is an excellent suggestion.

Jan, I would like to chat with you sometime, I have only been looking at the DV for two days (I noticed it in a book but it had very little info).

David

jumpinjan 08-28-2008 07:45 AM

Any sweep back in the wings will help directional stability (and lateral stability I think) and help move the Center of Pressure back a little to alleviate tail heaviness just like the Nieuports. It has a constant cord in both wings, that good. The cockpit is very simple, there's no instrument panel.
Jan

ZoomZoom-RCU 08-28-2008 07:47 AM

;)I like you're style PropNut. That would definately be from the "rarely built" bird list......and with a significant cool factor.

ZZ.

Ps. Try this link, it has a bit more info, if you already have these, than disregard.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

JohnF 08-28-2008 08:34 AM

J, The D-V had horn balanced ailerons. David, sounds like you have your mind made up. Hope you post the build here. I am sure it will be a show stopper.

Prop Nut 08-28-2008 08:07 PM

John, My mind?! It is never made up...much like my bed. :D Fire out any ideas or opinions that you might have.

I am leaning toward a full rudder but a horizontal stab with elevators (like the JR Eindecker).

Jan, thanks for the info on the wings. Keep it coming.

ZZ, thanks for the info and the props.

I think I will build the wings in one piece, they would be long but I have plenty of space in my trailer.

Prop Nut 08-28-2008 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a plan I found for the Tigermoth wing, I might adapt this for the top wing.

Prop Nut 08-28-2008 08:17 PM

I am itching to get out to the shop and start on the fuse.........

vonJaerschky 08-28-2008 09:14 PM

I know [link=http://www.aerodromerc.com]Aerodrome R/C[/link] has a 1/8 scale electric D.V. The Aerodrome kits are usually very close to scale, so if you just buy the plans you might have a good starting point.

jumpinjan 08-28-2008 10:20 PM

No, thats silly. I would advise against doing that. Your money would be best spent on the "Winstock Mini Datafile 11". There are 3-views (1/48 scale) included in the datafile that can be easily scanned and enlarged. I do this all the time on my HP DesignJet 450C (36" wide printer).
Jan

vonJaerschky 08-28-2008 10:29 PM

ORIGINAL: jumpinjan

No, thats silly.
Jan
Just trying to help, my man.

Prop Nut 08-29-2008 07:37 AM

VonJaerschky, thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded thier PDF documentation on the DV, that is were I got the 3 view that I posted above. It is a good looking plane for sure.

Jan...dude, a bit of tact ;) I would love to see the Windsock Mini #11, as soon as I can locate one for a reasonable price. That is also and excellent suggestion.

David

Stachel 08-29-2008 01:47 PM

Hi David,
I love the D.V and think it's a wonderful subject. You see lots of WW2 trainers, but very very few WWI trainers other than the Jenny!

AerodromeRC's D.V is a wonderful source of ideas for a larger-scale version. It's really accurate and I know Kay Bengston's designs really fly well. However, beware the rib alignment on the wings on that drawing you posted...on the D.V they are parallel to the thrust line, unlike the Moth wing drawing, where the ribs are perpendicular to the wing's leading edge.

Watch out for the questionable advice from that expert on copying and scanning stuff from Windsock...just because everybody MIGHT be doing it doesn't mean it should be trumpeted on a public forum.

Check Byrd Aviation for the Mini Datafile...they are going to be at the airshow in Virginia this weekend so you might not get an answer until next week.

I say more power to ya to tackle this one...

Lyle

Prop Nut 08-29-2008 05:31 PM

Thanks for chiming in Lyle, good to hear from you again. I doubt Jan meant to scan and share, I believe he just means scan and enlarge for your own use. Thanks for pointing out the rib placement, I had planned on having them straight (perpendicular to the fuse) in the wing, the Tiger Moth plan is for joining them in the center. I will not start the project until next spring at the earliest, I have too much going on right now.It is never too early, however, to start gathering information.

jumpinjan 08-30-2008 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: vonJaerschky

ORIGINAL: jumpinjan

No, thats silly.
Jan
Just trying to help, my man.

Kurt Bengston's drawings are 1/8 scale, they are 24" wide by about 60", I don't know of any "affordable" mega-scanners that can digitize that huge size. Yes, I agree he has some interesting structure information that could be beneficial in the 1/3 scale design. My comment is about the methodology on how I would design a 1/4 or 1/3 scale model. I did not intend to direct you to exploit copywrited material and print copies of it. I use it as an outline and at 1/48 scale, I can use a common scanner to digitize it and then transcribe it into a "vector" working file (like Corel Draw or SolidWorks). That is my intent in my previous posts (I'm gone!)
Jan

Prop Nut 08-30-2008 10:26 AM

I have inported the 3 view into Design CAD, now I just need to clean it up a bit. There is sooo much to learn about using CAD programs, I doubt I will live long enough (or remember anything). Thanks for the advice Jan.

Prop Nut 10-06-2008 12:23 PM

I am thinking of fabricating my own reduction gear and using a G38 w/32" prop to fly this thing. Many people in the UK are using this combo on 1/3rd scale WWI planes. It would be great to see one in the air with a scale size prop.

JohnF 10-06-2008 11:45 PM

Boooooooooooo, why not use a 4-stroke?

Prop Nut 10-07-2008 06:25 AM

John, both are excellent ideas. They also carry the "Cool" factor. I am still thinking about following in John Tisch's footsteps with one of those 65cc Sthil four strokes though.

David