Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

85 ft Harbor Tug/Angels Gate

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

85 ft Harbor Tug/Angels Gate

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Tug Guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 85 ft Harbor Tug/Angels Gate

Thank you for the compliment. During the winter of '87 I believe was when I built mine. It was my first scratch built effort. It took me much longer than it did your dad to complete mine. I am thinking of building a new one next year. I just need to get a few other projects out of the way first.

Tug
Old 11-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Ultimate48
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tug
I don't know if I would take on a build like the tug after watching my Dad build his.
I have build boats, but not a scratch build like that.
I was into sailing 25 years ago and built 5 sail boats . 36 X 600 & 50 X 800 class boats.
18 gas boats from Dumas kits to glass hulls up to 60" , fast boats .
I love to look at craftsmanship like the tugs we see in posts.
I give you , my Dad and all others credit for your builds, not easy to do.

Ultimate48
Old 11-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Tug Guy

You have enough experience in building to be able to build one of these tugs. The trick is to think it all out before doing anything, then taking it one step at a time. If all else fails I do know of a guy that makes a fiberglass hull, deck, superstructure, and roofs.
When I look back now at how much I didn't know when I tackled this project and how much I have learned over the years I really don't know how I completed this model. Were it not for all the help I received from boat club members I might not have. It was a lot of fun to build and really enjoyable to run on the local pond back then.

Tug
Old 11-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Kaymac

That's a great rendition of Francis Smith's plan. I would echo Tug's comment about trying the build yourself. Doing so will let you experience the deep satisfaction your dad enjoyed and will create a bond that you will treasure. And, you will have a pair of tugs to leave for your children.
If you decide you really want to tackle the hull (I highly recommend it), I will make you an offer....a straight up trade for a full size set (three sheets) of Francis Smith Plans for a good photocopy of the original magazine you have.
Pictures of my " Angel's Gate II" are in my gallery.
Cheers
Keith.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:17 PM
frankk

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY ,"DIWGHT HARTMAN" MAKES A FIBERGLASS TUG WHICH WAS MODELED AFTER A 85' OR 90' ARMY TUG. I KNOW THAT HE IS SILL IN BUSINESS BECAUSE ONE OF THE FELLOWS IN THE SOUTH ORANGE SEAPORT CLUB WAS BUILDING ONE AND IT WAS AT LEAST 48" LONG. HOPE THIS INFO HELPS.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:22 AM
Kaymac

Frank -
Thanks for that lead. I did some checking and found this site. I reall like the detail this model has and might consider doing one. The scale is good for detailing from scratch.
http://www.stlouisadmirals.com/FleetBoat.asp?id=8
Old 11-22-2006, 12:26 AM
Ultimate48

ORIGINAL: Kaymac

That's a great rendition of Francis Smith's plan. I would echo Tug's comment about trying the build yourself. Doing so will let you experience the deep satisfaction your dad enjoyed and will create a bond that you will treasure. And, you will have a pair of tugs to leave for your children.
If you decide you really want to tackle the hull (I highly recommend it), I will make you an offer....a straight up trade for a full size set (three sheets) of Francis Smith Plans for a good photocopy of the original magazine you have.
Pictures of my " Angel's Gate II" are in my gallery.
Cheers
Keith.
Thanks for giving me the vote of confidence and I have thought of building one.
My Dad has the plans some where in his house, I just can't find them.
He has well over 200 sets of plans for R/C boats and he built most of the boats.

You need copies of the books, let me see what I can to help you about that.
Do you want the hole book copied or just the Articles of the tug.
Let me know !

I would have to build 4 tugs, I have 4 boys and one pink one for my daughter .LOL!
I'm into R/C cars with my yongest son's, R/C planes with 2 older ones and I'm into gas R/C boats.
Also coach of my all three of my Son's hockey league and make time for my Wife.
Don't take me wrong, I would love to build one, just no time
I have 3 new R/C gas boats waiting for this winter to built and a beautiful 1/4 scale Midwest Super Stearmam biplane to build.
I'm in a O scale train club as well. I don't realy have time to build at this time .

Thanks, Steve
Old 11-22-2006, 01:39 AM
Kaymac

Steve -
When I built my tug, I used a poor photocopy of the article that supposedly came from the magazine you have. I can read most of the text but the picutres are of very poor quality. What I would like is a good copy of the article and photo's along with a copy of the cover if possible. Ultimately, I hope to find originals on Ebay or at a garage sale somewhere...dream on..lol
If you are willing to copy them for me, I'll be happy to reimburse you for whatever expense there is.
Thanks
Keith.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Tug Guy

The guy I was thinking of that builds a fiberglass kit wasn't Hartman. I think this does a much better job than Dwight . The model is not as big as Hartmans either, it is the same scale as the article 36".
Also I still have a set of plans That Francis Smith sent me plus copies of the articles if anyone is interested I can find out the cost to copy and mail everything.
Don
Old 11-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Ken_Smith

I may have mentioned this before but you can get the Francis Smith 85 Ft. tug plans on Ebay from time to time.
Just search for "Harbor Tug" or "85ft Harbor Tug". They are quality reprints of the edition of the plans that appeared in Model Builder Magazine.
You might also try this link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:EF:US:11

Ken Smith
Old 11-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Kaymac

Hi Ken,
That Ebay link was the source of my plans and you are right, they are good quality and the dealer is trustworthy. The photocopies of the acutal article accompany the plan but the photos are of low quality.
Say Hi and Merry Christmas to your Dad from me. His plans introduced me to a new hobby that has given my great pleasure in my retirement and ,as they say, keeps on giving.
Best regards
Keith.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Kaymac

Hi Tug,
As I mentioned, I am interested in your offer of a good copy of the magazine article.
If you or anyone else know of a source that might have an original magazine, that would become part of the tug display and would finish the project....or on second thought, does a project ever really end?

On that subject, I finished my tug in August, sailed her a number of times with great results except when I found out that CA glue isn't waterproof....my bow thruster sprung a leak and severely tested my bilge pump! I couldn't figure why she began riding low in the water until I saw two separate streams of water coming out the side. I should only have the engine cooling stream but there was this mysterious second stream towards the front. Then I realized that was the bilge working. So, back to the bench for some epoxy repairs. Once I opened her up and removed most of the guts, I decided to re-plumb all the plastic tubing and properly bend, solder and install brass plumbing. I also decided to connect my deck lights to the smoke generator to let me know it is on. Now this may sound a little strange as one would think that it should be fairly evident that a smoke unit is on...but, ..when the unit runs out of smoke fluid, and you don't notice it is still on, it can quickly burn the element out. So, now. if the lights are on and the smoke isn't showing...well, you get the picture.
The next task will be to figure how to run a pipe to a fire monitor that allows me to remove the cabin without having to dismantle the piping. As I said, is it ever done?
Cheers
Keith
Old 11-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Tug Guy

Great Plans is a very good source of plans. I bought a set of his PBR plans and I am very happy with his quality. As far as the article goes I wouldn't be able to do anything until next week. I will dig it up and have them available for the copy place.

Tug
Old 12-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Ultimate48

ORIGINAL: Tug Guy

You have enough experience in building to be able to build one of these tugs. The trick is to think it all out before doing anything, then taking it one step at a time. If all else fails I do know of a guy that makes a fiberglass hull, deck, superstructure, and roofs.
When I look back now at how much I didn't know when I tackled this project and how much I have learned over the years I really don't know how I completed this model. Were it not for all the help I received from boat club members I might not have. It was a lot of fun to build and really enjoyable to run on the local pond back then.

Tug
Hi Tug

I found the 1974 Francis Smith tug plans today. They are in great shape too. My Father put them in a plastic tube behiend the wall in his basment.
I never thought I would find them, especially behind the wall. I was looking for the water meter and that's where I found the plans.
Now I'm thinking mybe I could build the tug.

Steve

Old 12-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Tug Guy

Kaymac if you haven't already received your copies of the articles I sent you, you should within the next day or so. I hope they are what you wanted.
Tug
Old 12-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Tug Guy

What a great way to preserve the plans for future use. If you read the article over and inspect the plans you shouldn't have any problems building the tug. Francis designed this tug to be built with minimum problems. I am sure you can do it. With 4 boys it could be a very nice family project. I can't think of a better way to start young boys off in the hobby of boat building. If you need any help we are just a post away.

Tug
Old 12-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Ultimate48

What a great way to preserve the plans for future use. If you read the article over and inspect the plans you shouldn't have any problems building the tug. Francis designed this tug to be built with minimum problems. I am sure you can do it. With 4 boys it could be a very nice family project. I can't think of a better way to start young boys off in the hobby of boat building. If you need any help we are just a post away.

Tug
Hi Tug

This will be my project, Son's are 18, 24, 27, 29, only the 18 year old lives home now and my Daughter 17 !
I have 3 Grand children already and 1 more on the way. Some time in June !
If I build the tug I will start next winter, to much going on right now.
Thanks for the offer of help, just might have to take you up on that!

If you can post here, I would like to see more pic's of your tug and inside the tug hull of how your setup the drive system!

Thanks, Steve

Old 12-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Tug Guy

I no longer have anything inside the tug. I stripped it all down when I knew it wouldn't be going to the pond any more. What I did have was a hectoperm 3:1 motor, vantec ret-44 esc, 12 volt 7 mah battery, bec Futabe Rx. With the hectoperm motor this tug would pull or push anthing. It was really a terror on the water it had so much power. I am using it now on a 45 inch hull that I am making into a fireboat. The hull was an old Dynamic Hobby hull if you remember them? They were on Long Island when they were in business some years back. All I did was install a floor on the inside and mount everything to that. It is all pretty straight forward sorry I no longer have everything installed to show you.

Tug
Old 12-10-2006, 08:25 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Hey Tug Guy, long time since I have seen you on line. I recently changed my ID from truckin4dave to RCBOATMANIAC, I haven't had a chance to do any thing with the plans I got off of you for the tug, been to busy with other projects in the process of scratch building to Outriggers one for a 21 size and the other 90 size I have the need for serious speed. Then I put my interest into something slower. Dave
Old 12-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Tug Guy

I was wondering how you were making out and if you had started the tug yet. I understand having too many other projects to do. I have been trying to clean up a few of my started projects so I can call them completed. Then I can start something new. Let us know when you do start the tug I will be interested to see this built on a larger scale.
Tug

P.S. This tug does make a nice rescue boat. *Hint *hint.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Ultimate48

I no longer have anything inside the tug. I stripped it all down when I knew it wouldn't be going to the pond any more. What I did have was a hectoperm 3:1 motor, vantec ret-44 esc, 12 volt 7 mah battery, bec Futabe Rx. With the hectoperm motor this tug would pull or push anthing. It was really a terror on the water it had so much power. I am using it now on a 45 inch hull that I am making into a fireboat. The hull was an old Dynamic Hobby hull if you remember them? They were on Long Island when they were in business some years back. All I did was install a floor on the inside and mount everything to that. It is all pretty straight forward sorry I no longer have everything installed to show you.

Tug
Tug

I do remember Dynamic Hobby in Port Jefferson, I was there in the 1970's with my Dad.
I guess you will use your tug as a display model just like I have my Dad's.
My Dads tug drive unit was very crude to me, but it worked.
He used a defroster fan motor from a 411 VW , and wound this own speed control from a oven coil.
At sometime he changed the oven coil to a speed control as we know.
I remember my Dad said, the oven coil generated to much heat!

Good luck with your new build !
Talk soon.
Steve
Old 12-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Kaymac

Hey Tug,
I did get the articles and appreciate them very much, Did you get my email response?
They really are helpful in understanding some of the history of this tug. Thanks again.
Keith
Old 12-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Kaymac

Hi Steve,
My tug was built from Francis Smith plans and there are a few pictures of the drive system posted earlier in this thread ( #22.27,34) and I have many more that I can send you of the actual hull construction.
As Tug said, it really isn't a difficult build but it does take some time to lay up the hull. The best advice Francis offers is to make sure you start with a solid jig and lay the hull equally on opposing sides to avoid warping...I didn't follow this advice as close as I should have and suffered a small warp but nothing that is noticable or hurting performance.
It's a great project though, good luck with it.
Keith.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Tug Guy

Sorry Kaymac I didn't receive any e mails. I am glad you got them and enjoy them. I am glad to do it any time.

Tug
Old 12-21-2006, 08:56 PM
boat_man45

Hi, ya'll well I guess I'd have to say that if it wasn't for my Dad I wouldn't be trying to join the ranks of the R/C Scale modelers. My dad came up with an extra set of plans for the 85 foot tug so now I am going to have to try and build one for myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.