Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Scale aircraft carrier capable of landing scale rc planes on

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Scale aircraft carrier capable of landing scale rc planes on

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Billy Budd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scale aircraft carrier capable of landing scale rc planes on

From a design standpoint, it would make more sense to make a helicopter landing pad on a ship since there is considerably less risk of landing in the water (depending on wind of course).  I suppose if your airplane was waterproof it would be ok...
Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 PM
MarkDiDo

ORIGINAL: ScottOram

ORIGINAL: barnstormerboats

Hey ScottOram, Earlier I posted about painting the outline of a carrier on your regular flying field and trying to do simulated carrier landings. I joked about destroying any plane that misses its landing. You spoke of hitting the Island which I did not even consider. But if you make a cardboard or foam sheet island and set it out on the field in the painted outline that would be a decent simulation for a carrier landing attempt. If you had a few guys around who wanted to try this you could score each other on successes/failed landing attempts. But failed attempts still will roll to a safe stop *(except for the island hits) without the fall off the edge of the real/model carrier.

Anyway since you have landed the real thing on a carrier, do you think that simply laying it out on the field would be a challenge enough without the need to build a vessel?

I just do not see the sense in spending a lot of money on a folley that would be fun for a day until you realize the incredible destruction you will experience trying to use it. The need for carrier based air operations was spawned from war. If not for military use, (and the inherent risk of all things military) there would not even be aircraft carriers. So to try to use this inherently dangerous platform for recreation makes no sense to me. But I could see taking a day at the field to conduct Carrier Operations just for a new challange without the destruction penalty for slight misses.
Well thats how we do it in real life. We have a ''lighted box'' on an full size runway that simulates the carrier deck. The pilots perform FCLPs (Field Carrier Landing Practice) for weeks prior to actually landing on the boat. even seasoned pilots are required to do a certain number of day and night FCLPs before going back out to the boat, and then each require a certain amount of day and night traps during CQ (carrier qualifications) before the can fly unrestricted operations.

Here is a great video of a carrier landing in the mighty S-3B Viking. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arrier+landing
Ah yes, the War Hoover!

My experience is limited to doing cats and traps backwards in the C-2A(R) Greyhound.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Never got a cat or trap though I did get to fly a Seaking attached to HS 2 while on Westpac with the USS Kitty Hawk airwing back in 1984. Needless to say, I like fixed wings better than rotors
Old 07-19-2011, 04:18 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe those pictures are from the mid 60s and were taken at the Sand Point NAS in Seattle. The pilot is world champion Ralph Brooke. As I recall the carrier was made by the Navy back when the Navy Air supported all the RC events. That’s an early Orbit radio that he used.

Don’t recall why I missed him fly that day.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Busch1981

i had the same plan but never got passed the planning stage. BUT i did work out and build the mock flight deck. built it on a trailer so i could take it to the flying field and still move it around. and i build the working cat and trap.
for the cat i used a bungee cord to start then on to model rocket engine runing in a 8ft length of metal tubing with a slot cut along the top for the shuttle and a spring at the end gaving the affect of steam. and for the trap i used 4 wires on deck and heavy chains as the arresting gear.
the setup was 16ft long and 7ft wide and about 2'6" off the ground. i would place a ramp at the end just incase i came in a little to low. i did have a lot of broken props and busted gear when i was setting it up right to land on. and ripping the nose gear out on cat shots. i started all cat testing dead stick to get the speed right.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:16 PM
animalnut

If your really going to try to pull this off and want any help I'M IN! sounds like a blast, we could use my rio51z as a dinghy!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Busch1981

sorry i did that several years ago and have since broken it down. i will say in did work quite well in launching aircraft of different weights and styles as long as the props did not hit the deck and the landing gear was heavily built up. as it did have the habit of ripping out the anchor point for the cat launches and on landing pulling or breaking the frame where the tailhook was installed. if you ever want to try this use light ply along the whole bottom of the aircraft and make sure the landing gear is mounted in a way that hard landings and pulling forces will not break the mounting area. if you are flying with retracts and a nose wheel place it so the nose wheel folds back in to the body. as for the forces to consider in the mounting of the gear it needs to be aleast 4times stronger then the flying weight ie. a15lbs plane will need to with stand 60lbs at launch or trap landing with out ripping the gear or tail hook off
Old 09-16-2011, 05:07 PM
patrck269

im actuly building a aircraft carryer. i have a new idea for landing it. instead of a rope wich whould be hard. (at least for me im a kid with very limted money resources). i have come up with a cheaper way. make a ramp down to the lower deck. this if you land it properly will stop the plane.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:58 PM
Busch1981

nice consept but you would destroy your aircraft every time you landed if you were'nt flying the ball the whole time.
first let ask some question to you
What is the AUW of the aircraft?
What is the wingspan of the aircraft?
What is the class is your carrier straght deck (WWll) or angle deck (modern)?
What are the dimentions of your flight deck?

if it is a lite weight airplane use string and a fishing weight equal to the planes weight (under 12" wingspan)
if light weight use a light wire and a lenght of chain in an area that can easy be accessed to reset (under 40" wingspan)
every thing else use wire and heavy chain or a piston type stop using friction as the stoping force
Old 09-17-2011, 05:49 AM
patrck269

ya i figured that out last night. now i have2 week stoping systoms. it probly stop a small rc airplane like a champ RTF but not a coresair im working on a heli pad now. and a safty line for my heli so i can fly it over water and if it crashes the carryer could tow it back to shore
Old 09-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Busch1981

attaching anything to a lite weight heli will throw every thing off and could make it impossable to fly it. fly it stock and practice on land first aircraft or heli. thats how i starter out working out all the problems i ran in to. i starter with just trying to land on a line at the flying field then added the tail hook and wire/chain setup to get the trap weight right then a added low deck with out the trap on it to get the feel of the raised landing area then installed the trap system and went on from there to what i used in my mock up of an angle deck trailer that i was going to build in to a scale RC ship.

by the way i found that balsa wood aircraft are better to use for the mods needed to fly flight deck ops atleast for landings because you need to strenthen the under side and tie in the tail hook with the landing gear so that when you take the trap you don't rip the tail hook out an the first landing
Old 09-17-2011, 03:06 PM
patrck269

ya but agan im a kid w VERY little money
Old 09-17-2011, 03:23 PM
AircraftFreak

ORIGINAL: patrck269

ya but agan im a kid w VERY little money
Sounds like me XD

Old 09-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Busch1981

patrck269 and aircraftfreak don't let the money thing get you down i did all me building on a $100 budget. the main thig is landing in the right place every time i don't want to get you down BUT there are things to do before trying it on the water. if you go heli plactice landing on a card table lets say 50ft away from you on a X in the middle of it. or if you go aircraft try landing on a piece of ply wood on the ground with a line maked on it lets say 6in from the landing end. Try landing on the line EVERY time. i will try and post pics of my drawings. so you can see what im saying.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:35 PM
AircraftFreak

Yeah....I have built 4 scratchbuilt airplanes so far....
Old 09-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Busch1981

here is my practice set up that i used
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97320.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1663641  
Old 09-18-2011, 04:37 AM
patrck269

ya i did it w the champ and to buy just the champ was 80.00  to save up it took 3 months and it turned out to be junk but it still flyed allso i have another idea insted of landing gear why not use skids.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Busch1981

if you use skis you run the risk of nose over on landings
Old 09-30-2011, 05:47 PM
patrck269

ooo