Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Need to find a good radio

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Need to find a good radio

Old 04-05-2008, 05:39 AM
joccee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to find a good radio

I'm planning a new build with dual jets in but I'm having problems finding a radio that can control all the thing I want.
I want to be able to steer the jets individualy so thats 2 channels for steering.
Then I want to be able to reverse them individualy, thats another 2 channels for reversing.
And last but not least I want to be able to controle the speed too:P....
is it possible to set a radio up so that i can use th forward on a throttlestick to rev up the motor and then when I pull it all the way back A servo kicks in and put the jetunit in reverse??

Hope you understand what I'm trying to ask...I added a picture to help me explain:P

if this isn't possible is there some radio out there that has the same features as the "Ace Rc Nautical Commander"??

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25539.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	922083  
Old 04-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: Need to find a good radio

I would use two forward only ESC, and run the throttle stics as you have labeled them.
The Throttle from full back position, zero thrust to full forward position full thrust.
Then use the "Gear" switch on the top, to put both revers buckets in place, or
use the "Gear" and "Flaps" Switch for separate control of the reverse buckets.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:58 PM
cyclops2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hooking up a stick that is spring centered on both channels with 2 reverseing ESC's does it.

It will operate just like a plane with Elevons. You can do the mixing at the transmitter simply.

I assume this is a electric boat. Like your other boats ?
Make sure the radio set has a mixing option and the stick channels are reverseable.

Your boat is really a Delta winged plane with Elevon controls.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:21 PM
cyclops2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reread your requirements more accurately. 6 channels. 2 seperate throttles 2 seperate steering for a LEFT & a RIGHT combo. 2 seperate channels for any combonation of F & R buckets.

I have a Futaba that can convert the throttle to a spring center off. Not sure if others like a 6 channel or more have that provision.

You really need to call all the technical assistance at all the RC companies to find out if you can get 2 identical throttle channels somehow. That is the only sticking point to this control system.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:28 PM
joccee

Umi - this would be an option but I really want a proportional control for the reversbuckets cuz with a jet you can have steering while the boat is not moving so it can rotate around its own axle.

Thanks for the help but after a lot o thinking I think I'll skip the part with individual steering and throttle. I'll just have the steerin and throotle like you usualy do on a stick radio and on the other stick i'll put the 2 reversebuckets and a bowthruster. both cheaper and easier that way:P
Old 04-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Rossen

Hi.
I'm also building a dual water jet gas boat and i have the same problem as you with finding a controller that suits my needs.
The most realistic controls would be scoop x2, throttle x1(whatever number of engines present) and steering x1 and all of them really need to be proportional.
I had an idea of combining two separate radios, one standard four channel with sticks and one standard wheel radio with throttle. The idea is to strip the two controllers and relocate the potentiometers into a custom housing with the necessary levers and a wheel. I have an old Microsoft steering wheel that is waiting to be tossed out that i'm dying to gut and reuse

The boat i'm using as a model has 5 "channels", steering, two scoops and two throttles. Usually the throttles are used as one, and thats all you need for total maneuverability.

If anyone is interested in my build wich is at a slight stand still you can visit my blog at stridsbat.levenrot.se

cheers.