Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

48" mono build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

48" mono build

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:17 AM
leebart121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48" mono build

My Friend and I are going to be building boats from scratch here soon.
We will be using Doug's 48" mono plans to build these boats.
We plan on using Homelite or Weed eater brand motors, which ever we can get our hands on, in our boats.
We will be trying to build as much of the boat and hardwear as we can from scratch. Sense we started these projects with our son's or budgets have been almost cut off due to uncontrollable circumstances.
We would like to find friends in the RC Universe that can help us with our questions as we go along or can help in any other form to help us finish our project boats.
As of know we both have our plans.
I have half the wood to start, but am waiting on the availability of tools to do so.
A Homelite and Weed eater brand Motor with their flex cables.
A few miscellaneous items from my days of flying Gliders.

It will be a while intill we can post anything on our builds so please bear with us.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:06 PM
leebart121

Default RE: 48" mono build

Just wanted to thank my friend Butch for all his help, that he has given me up to this point. he gives lots of great advice that my friend and I will use as we begin our builds.
I realized last night that I have a HomeLite and some other weed eater motor for my boat.
The other motor I have, was considered one of the strongest and fastest stock motors you could buy. I got it while I was working at a small engine repair shop after the owner could not get it running and just purchased a new weed eater
I got it running strong with just a carb rebuild kit.
I will post photos of the motors as soon as I can.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:06 AM
leebart121

Default RE: 48

My second motor is a McCulloch Titan. Sorry, there are no Pics yet. Been having technical difficulties with camera. (My 2 year old hid it)
Old 10-03-2009, 03:23 AM
alexdrift

would you be able to send me an email with these plans

thanks
Old 10-03-2009, 08:27 PM
leebart121

Alexdrift just pm me your e-mail and I will send them over with Doug's build notes he sent me.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:23 PM
alexdrift

just pm'ed you
Old 10-04-2009, 01:12 AM
leebart121

on their way, Enjoy
Old 10-04-2009, 06:17 PM
werdonmorris
My Feedback: (7)

Lee

From what I know from my knowledge, yes they are very strong running engines. Properly maintained, and they will last a long time.
I personally use a john deere 25cc homelite, that I received from a very good friend, named Tony. He also hooked me up with a 30cc of the same brand, and it's ten years old
and still runs good.

Lee, do yourself and your friend a big favor, and use top grade full synthetic two cycle oil, and high octane. Plus switch to either a e-3 sparkplug, or ngk. And if it does not have electronic ignition.
Check out the buy sale, and for 19 dollars you can get one new, and well worth it. It's alot easier on start ups, and the motor will love you for it.
Install brand new gas lines, for nothing worst then to do the first voyage, and have a line crack, and swim for it.
Butch
Old 10-04-2009, 06:23 PM
werdonmorris

Lee, on RCU buy site listings, there is a gentleman that sells the electronic ignition. I do not need it on the John Deere Homelite, for it has the factory ignition.

Important-I'am packing the box tonight with alot of good stuff for you, and it is going to the Post Office first thing Monday morning.

Butch
Old 10-04-2009, 08:34 PM
werdonmorris

Lee

I had made some homemade props for boats, and some running gear. I have included it in the box that you will be getting soon.
Butch
PS, the props are already polished, and balanced.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:55 PM
leebart121

Butch

Thank you so much for the great advice. I have been thinking about the electronic ignition but not sure how it works.

I plan to put new fuel lines in because the stock ones will not reach from where the gas tank is to be mounted and the motor is.

Thanks in advance for all the little goodies you are sending. You have he so excited I fell like a kid waiting for Christmas morning to see what Santa has brought for them.

Thanks.

Lee

Old 10-04-2009, 09:26 PM
werdonmorris

Lee

I know what you mean, and you are most welcome!
Butch
Old 10-04-2009, 09:37 PM
leebart121

Butch

Do you have a link to the electronic ignition so I can look at it?
Old 10-04-2009, 09:43 PM
werdonmorris

Lee-Let me check real quick, and will post the link.
Butch
Old 10-04-2009, 10:10 PM
werdonmorris

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/31-8786.html

Here is the link you need, and it is simple to install.
Just cut the wire from the breaker points and splice the hot lead of the module to it, and the negative lead from the module to the side of the engine.
With breakerless, just add the module hot lead to the kill switch lead, and the neg, to the engine side.
It costs 12.00 dollars, with six dollar shipping.
It does comes with full illustrations, and instructions.
Butch
Old 10-04-2009, 10:14 PM
leebart121

looks interesting.
Does it just make it easyer to start the motor?
Old 10-04-2009, 10:21 PM
werdonmorris

easier starting in hot, cold, wet climates. cold and hot starting, engine runs better, cooler, faster, and smoother. Which all this, it makes the engine last longer, and it only takes a few minutes to install.
The module is big as a quarter, and can be mounted anywhere, like the engine, the housing.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:31 PM
leebart121

when I get to that time in my build I will make sure my friend and I look at getting one for our boats. He wants to race his. I told him that we should race each other as our boats will be almost Identical in power but slightly different in look and hardwear.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:02 PM
werdonmorris

Lee

Sent out the box Monday morning, by priority mail, they said 1-3 days it will be at your door.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:24 PM
leebart121

here are some pis of the motors and the great stuff from Butch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18450.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1292178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10644.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1292179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12087.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1292180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64616.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1292181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70964.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1292182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52382.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1292183  
Old 11-16-2010, 09:46 PM
leebart121

I now have a hole lot of motors to choose from. i picked up 2 new homelite 25 cc weed eaters and anoter one that i forget the brand of but it is a 32 cc and runs like a no other.
I need to get new diagframs for all the carbs so they all run top notch. the red homelite pictcherd above i stole the carb mounting block and the cylinoid from to get the newer homelites to run. they are in much better shap and a lot newer. they look as if they have not been run at all. they have been sitting in a carport for a few years and never had a tank of gas run thru them.
I got the McCulmic running the other day and it is very responsive. I love that one. Now I need to figure out how to water cool it. I might run copper tubing around the head like you would cool an electric motor. intell I can get a cooling kit for a slanted sparkplug for a good price and when I get money in my pocket once more.
here are 2 parts for the future trailer I have made already.
I have also made a set of leaf springs and half of some trim tabs as well.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 PM
carprigger38
My Feedback: (6)

Looking good Lee. Heres what I came up with for the stinger. If I told you what I had in to my wares for my build you would fall over ,...It cost me more in gas to go get it than for ALL the aluminum,..and I had to drive 30miles round trip in my gas guzzler truck!!! Got it from a scrap yard.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:48 PM
leebart121

Man, Teen agers can make this hobbie difficut to get into. My buddies son who is in High school was suppose to cut out our boats, 3 of them, while in wood shop this year. well we waited and waited and then 2 months ago I had him commit to having them just cut out by the time school ended and ge agreed to the deal. Well, school is out and there are no boats! Now We have to wait for next year or order some zipkits to build them!!!!
It was a good deal he had for just cutting out the parts. I had a motor and drive for all three boats and even some other parts for exchange for my boat to be cut out. Man am I bummed!! I am trying to figure out what to do now. I wanted to work on the boat this summer and get it in the water before the ponds turn to ice and they are so full right now that they are smother then ever.
I guess I will just keep gathering parts for my build and hope for the best. Wish I could afford a zipkit but can't at this time
I have been trying to figure out how to make a cooled head without a welder or lathe and from scraps around the house! Any Ideas could be helpful.

Lee
Old 05-28-2011, 04:47 AM
Apismelifera

So how much is a scroll saw compared to buying "some zipkits"?

Its hard to beat an investment in good tools.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:16 AM
werdonmorris

#A. Use a thick soup, fruit, or veggie can that will fit over the head, after the fins has been removed. You can remove the fins by using a hole saw chucked into a electric drill or drill press. Take the head off the engine, and remove the sparkplug. Place the head into a vise, and slowly saw off the fins. Once this has been done, select you can that will fit over the head with a 1/8th. inch or more of clearance, but not more then a 1/2" inch. either epoxy, or solder tubing into the can at 1/2" inch from each end of the can. Drill a hole into the bottom of the can that just allows the threads of the sparkplug to pass through.
Use a metal washer the threads can pass through to for further strength. Make a base rubber washer for the base of the can, and at least a 1/4" wide, and one for the sparkplug hole as well. For the height of the can, measure from the base of the head, to the top of the head. Add 1/8th of a inch to the height, this will allow a tight seal at the rubber gaskets. Use a good grade automotive gasket sealer, non-harding like for a oxygen sensor, or intake manifold. Put sealer on both sides of both rubber gaskets. The top gasket goes inside the can at the top, with the metal washer on the outside of the can. The sparkplug is what holds the can firmly in place. Allow the sealer set for a day, before testing, for any water leakage. I have used this method many times, and has always worked for me. And all the materials should be around your house for use!

Your Friend Always, Butch
How is the baby, and the family doing-say hi to your wife, my wife says hello!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.