Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

60" Container ship scratchbuild

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

60" Container ship scratchbuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 04:01 AM
Kwaka_Chris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60" Container ship scratchbuild

Greetings folks, yet another Aussie here to share on the forums. "long time listener, first time caller"

So I bit the bullet finally, I am experienced in enjoying R/C boats and cars, but have never built anything and its my urge to do so. I've been procrastinating for 4 whole years to do something. So before it became my new years resolution I decided to start. I went out to the hardware store and bought some sheets of 3mm plywood, a decent scroll saw and some strips of ply and balsa.

I decided to scratchbuild a ship first. I really want to design and build some aircraft but I don't have any form of skill as I have NEVER done this before and I'm quite intimidated by the whole process, I really have no clue what I'm doing.

I can't read plans, so I decided not to go by them and just drew up my own stuff on some napkins. I went by the rough scale of some container ships being about 200-300 metres long and 30-50 metres wide or a rough ratio of 4:1 or 6:1 length to width. I drew up half of a 'bulkhead' if thats what you call it, and transferred it to a piece of wood.

I used this piece of wood to create 6 main bulkheads that would form the centre of the ship or the main area, a large uniform in size centre section, from which the front will taper off (bow is it called? )and the stern will raise up a bit out of the water to a flat end. The main centre area is about 1 metre long, and the front and rear of the ship will add about another 40cm ontop of this. Ive designed it so that there are multiple ribs around the outside of the bulkhead to give it the rough shape for covering.

In the base of the bulkhead will be a 1 metre long stainless steel rod that will provide bit of stability and rigidity, as well as 2 wooden dowels either side for additional strength. I got a long plank of wood and used a circular saw to cut several slots that hold the bulkheads tightly while the glue dries.

Power im expecting will be 1 or 2 small electric motors, for scale speed of course. But I will get decent ones so I can have it UNREALISTICALLY fast, so I can have a bit of fun if I want too.

I'm building the whole thing like a cracked nut... the hull is one segment, then I will build the top half of the ship in exactly the same manner as building the hull, and they will mate together. its basic but hopefully will work. What do you think so far? I'd really love some comments and advice as im a complete novice with building.

Cheers, Chris.

P.S. This process has taken me about 2.5 hours to do so far. I'm not sure how long the entire build will be, but I will keep it documented!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78337.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1337435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35034.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1337436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95200.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1337437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70994.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1337438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te46562.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1337439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc47117.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1337440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df74104.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1337441  
Old 12-19-2009, 04:03 AM
Kwaka_Chris

Default RE: 60

Oh and yes, i did not buy enough ply strips to do all the stripping on the bulkheads, I have to go back tomorrow for that, and some nuts and washers to secure the threaded rod in that hole you see thats unfilled.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:10 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You are aware container ships are VERY top heavy with all the boxes on deck ? How many boxes are you planing on deck ? The weight adds up quickly with wood models.

Rich
Old 12-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Yes, but it is possible to model a plywood box, and then paint it to look like a full deck of containers.
One of the Barges in Seattle, or BC is modeled that way... It may look fully loaded, and heavy, but
it is really just a hollow box. [8D]

Name:	Zw69575.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1337774  
Old 12-19-2009, 03:47 PM
cyclops2

Cheating in modeling is still a crime. ...........MOO HA HA HA.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Well I made up all my containers...(after a fashion...)

But I designed the barge so that I could open a valve, and
cause the barge to sink. My intention was to overturn the barge and
let everyone play container recovery...

Captain with the most containers returned wins...

It was modeled after this incident...
http://www.cargolaw.com/2003nightmare_columbiaroun.html

This year we ran an event modeled after this
http://www.oregonlive.com/environmen...nning_afo.html

Basically a tractor pull, where we kept adding weights...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwyePx6EC6o

[8D]

It just depends on what Chris wants to do with the model...
A loading dock and crane would be cool. Spend all morning
loading containers onto the model, then sail all day, then
spend all afternoon off loading the containers..

Name:	If10934.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1337814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51082.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1337815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23956.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1337816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22711.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1337817  
Old 12-19-2009, 04:59 PM
cyclops2

Lionel & American Flyer trains had some neat boom cranes.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

I like the Heljan crane... just needs a modified boom reach..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tzsblR16Zg

[8D]

Old 12-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Kwaka_Chris

Hehe, Isn't the dangerous nature of loading gross amounts of containers onto a ship and losing a few thousand a year in real life part of the fun ? I understand it will be top heavy, i plan to make this boat have as much ballast as possible in the base to help keep it as stable as possible.

As for the containers? I'd prefer to make each individual one but I'm not quite sure what to make them out of. More than likely they will be little plywood boxes with some small details and good painting to allow them to look the part, and also interlock slightly. I'm hoping the width of the model will help add to its stability, but if not I might have to launch it at a lake that has some amateur R/C rescue people
Old 12-19-2009, 07:41 PM
cyclops2

Easy way
Use pink or blue Styrofoam. It has a very fine grain. Can cut strips on a table saw then cut the strips in box lengths. I do it all the time for small boats. spray paint all of 1 color then a different color. I have cut up 60 in about 1/2 hour. do it on a production line set up. No 5 or 10 at a time. Set the blade height to do all of any cuts needed then go to the next blade height cutting.

Rich
Old 12-19-2009, 07:41 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Umi, when I hear you say that you built a model to intentionally sink, and dump cargo containers...so people could push them back .....

I think I am in love ! hahahahah

Don't worry I am not the stalking type..... but you sure have a refreshing attitude .... It cheers me up just to see your quality work, and read your posts...
Old 12-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Kwaka_Chris

I got a little bit more done on the ship today. The main centre section has had most of the lower ribs installed and I started work on the stern of the ship. The large block of wood you see at the end has to be trimmed, slight misjudgement on my part to not get it the right shape BEFORE gluing it in place. Oh well, but its solid and going well. I'll keep the updates coming.

Name:	Ay73802.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1337988  
Old 12-20-2009, 08:15 PM
cyclops2

Very nice workmanship Chris.

Rich
Old 12-21-2009, 03:32 AM
alexdrift

nice build
Old 12-27-2009, 03:30 AM
Kwaka_Chris

I had a spare 4 hours today so I did a little bit of more work on the scratchbuild inbetween servicing my motorbikes. I cut up a faux front deck that has the shape that the top bow will take as well as some holes in it that allow access to the individual compartments between the bulkheads incase I need to add ballast, remove water and for the finishing of the ship, ie coating the interior and experior in epoxy/other waterproofing aids.

I also drew up and cut the little slabs that will form the basic shape of the bow except for that big bulbous bit that sticks out at the lower bow on most large ships, this will be carved from a solid piece of balsa to match the curve in the middle of the hull, extending out the front of the bow.

I glued the faux-deck on with the help of my cheapo 'clamps' aka whatever I had of weight sitting around as well as 2 c-clamps. its starting to take shape. But I have some questions.

1. How do you cut plywood without one side splintering away? I have my scroll saw set to the right tension, ive used it at high and low speeds, with harder and softer movement through the blade and nothing seems to make a difference. Is there finer blades that would help? my new router makes a brilliant cut but is difficult to use as a parts cutter.

/questions. now for some pictures, I've only gotten 4 of the hull segments put in place at the moment, the rest will be glued in soon, there is 12 all up. well, the "large" scale no longer suprises me, its quite shocking it now just feels a bit small. Enjoy, I'm getting quite apt at building in 'fail-scale' with a consistancy of about 80%... I keep having to re-cut, re-adjust and fix parts on the ship as I go due to making mistakes in the cutting etc. hopefully it all ends up decently straight and true in the end.

kind regards, chris.

Name:	Db84472.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1342600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63417.jpg
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	1342601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78637.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1342602  
Old 12-27-2009, 03:42 AM
Kwaka_Chris

On another topic I just realised a bit late, I should have designed my bow in a different manner. The current design is far more 'knock nevis' than a container ship but oh well, I'll learn from next time. I'm also considering how I will have the deck designed, im planning to have the tower at the stern of the ship with simple decking in the centre and probably a slightly raised bow. similar to the pictures. Sigh, I'll have to wait till she is almost sea-fairing before I name her

Name:	Rp43366.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1342603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50882.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1342604  
Old 12-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Kwaka_Chris

one more quick update before I go to sleep ready for work.

Name:	Ig11219.jpg
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1343278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40005.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	1343279  
Old 01-26-2010, 07:11 PM
OddballCAF

>>>How do you cut plywood without one side splintering away?

Hi Chris,
I've been reading your thread with interest since I found it a short while ago. Your freighter
is coming along quite nicely! Please keep me/us updated with some new photos when
you've got the time and inclination.
As to the wood splintering on you, here's my personal favorite and it's quick and dirty:
Just lay some masking tape atop your plywood on the side which is giving you the
problem. Trace your lines atop it and cut away.

Cheers, cobber
Oddball