RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Boating (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/)
-   -   PT109 Dumas (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/10012705-pt109-dumas.html)

rcp2005 09-19-2010 12:07 PM

PT109 Dumas

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,
Just started about a week ago the Dumas PT109. Really a nice kit the updated version. If anyone is interseted I am posting som building pics.

rcp2005 09-19-2010 12:43 PM

RE: PT109 Dumas

1 Attachment(s)
More building pics. The quality of the wood and the die cut of the parts are quite good, nice and clean. I like the idea of the pvc for planking. It sure speeds up the building process. Here are more building pics. I started this project about a week ago...............Larry G.

rcp2005 09-19-2010 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the out of order pics. Learning how to post the pics................................Larry G.

rcp2005 09-19-2010 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More pics

rcp2005 09-19-2010 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few more pics...............................Larry G. Hull is pretty much completed and just filling in some low spots with bondo and spot putty.

ears1919 09-21-2010 04:16 PM

Been working on my Dumas PT on and off for past 10 years, you're already ahead of me... [:o]

Now you're giving me moviation to get back to it - Keep up the good work!!!

Looking forward to building updates - maybe someday our PT's would meet each other on the water (We're neighbors)

rcp2005 09-21-2010 04:41 PM

Hi neighbor,

Were do you sail? I'm new to thid water stuff....always flew planes.

rcp2005 09-22-2010 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The work moves on............Waterproofing the wood inner structure with Sig fiberglass resin

rcp2005 10-04-2010 12:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed Deck and waterproofed with Sig polyester resin.

rcp2005 10-04-2010 12:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed running gear and began work on main cabin.

rblubaugh 10-04-2010 08:19 AM

Larry G.,

Your model is looking very nice. I've had a Dumas kit for about three years now and not bothered to start it mainly because all the build logs I've seen were major scale projects. While they were nice, stand off scale is more my cup of tea.

I'll have to look but I don't think mine has Sintra as part of the kit. That's not a real problem though because there is a local supplier where I can buy it reasonably.

Keep up the good work. I'm anxious to see how you finish the model.

Bob B.

rcp2005 10-05-2010 11:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The cabins are pretty much done except for the paint and detail........

rcp2005 10-05-2010 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started the soldering job on the aft tub railing, tedious work but I finished it this evening........................

rcp2005 10-05-2010 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More pics

Hydro Junkie 10-06-2010 12:27 PM

You can say goodbye to the quick part of your build. From here on out, it's all the little detail type work. One thing you have to remember is that the more detail you add now, the better the boat will look later. One other thing to think about is you can build your boat into a late-war version as well. This would only require some fabricating of heavier guns and reworking the torpedo racks since the later boats didn't have the launch tubes.

rcp2005 10-06-2010 01:21 PM

I hear ya, thanks for the information.

Rich404 10-08-2010 04:35 PM

RCP,

It is looking good! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gifOne common mistake that most people do is put "PT 109" on the bow. On the real PT boats, once they made it to battle, the bow letters were removed.

-Rich.

rcp2005 10-08-2010 04:57 PM

Thanks for the info, anything else please let me know....greatly appreciated

Larry G.

rcp2005 10-08-2010 10:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)

More brass work.......Finished the Gun Tub Hand Rails and the Oerlikon Gun Sight. Sorry guys I'm not much of a writer but I'll show alot of pics............................

tollytime 10-10-2010 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your build is looking good, but I have to open my yap about that PVC pipe! Please,I don't mean too offend you at all. You're doing an awesome job on that hull! I have a little experience with Dumas kits. I enjoya goodchallenge, but some aspects of their kits are pretty bad. I took a long time to build my hull and it looked "ok", not as good as yours, but it came out to spec. I became obsessed with making the hull more realistic and sculpted my own hull from scratch and then made a mold for a fiberglass hull, but that's a whole different story.
My point is, some of the deck materials are too darn heavy for a lightweight electric boat! I know they want to keep the cost down, but don't go to Home Depot for deck fitting supplies! By the time you have those pipe pieces for the nestsand wood dowels for torpedo tubes, you'll haveone chunky boat on your hands.
So what did I do? I cut a toilet paper tube, dumped it in penetrating epoxy and rieforced with 6oz fiberglass using epoxy resin. If you need to make it a little easier, you can buy some pre-made tubing shapes used for model rocket building. I would still make sure you cover everything in epoxy resin to waterproof it. These are just my thoughts, andI don't want to sidetrack the build. I'm justone of those blabbermouths that have to hit keyboards all the time.I got some pictures around here somewhere.....

BTW!!Looking at your pictures,I notice you are on a much higher skill level than I could everdream of being. Pleasedon't think of me as a noob spouting off. I do realize very advanced builders, like yourself, take on the challengeof building a kit fromthe exact contents in the box with no modifications.I am awareof the fact that this is even harder to do than taking a shortcut or using something that works better. So maybe I should just shut up and enjoy the show.

Saxondog 10-18-2010 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I really like the hull work, I have two very old Dumas boats I picked up at a yard sale 10years ago and they both have pewter/metal fittings that were not the best quality, I do have two Lindberg 1/32 PT109's . One is built and the other still in the box, if you were to need some photos of fittings or pictures so you could make your own I would be willing to help out as your build is very interesting.

Also of note might be information you have but in Germantown Tennessee is the PT BOATMUSEUM, Not a big place and more geared toward the crews and their donations and contributions during the war, What they do have are excellent records of individual boats and their crews log books and personal writings of the war in the boats.

These guys were a tough bunch and do not alwaysreceivethe credit their due. http://www.ptboats.org/07-0-05-museum.html At the bottom of the page their is the contact information for the Germantown office, they are outside of Memphis,Tennessee and not far from my home. If you are researching an individual boat they will have the service information I'm sure.

Best of luck with your build, let me know if I can help as these are excellent boats, and I have considered building my other boat as anMediterraneansquadron boat. These were painted in some very interestingdisruptivepatternssimilartoAtlanticbase d warships.

Best Regards, Blake<br type="_moz" />

rcp2005 10-18-2010 09:27 PM

Blake,
Thanks for the info on the museum, I will contact them if I need info, would also like to visit in person. The cast metal that Dumas is now using seems to be a better quality. Did not do much filing or sanding at all. Thanks for the compliments on my work, very much appreciated.
Larry G.

rcp2005 10-31-2010 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Back in town and continuing construction of the PT-109...............See pics of the 2, 50cal machine guns and the 20mm Oerlikon gun that needs to be assembled.......

rcp2005 11-01-2010 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Assembled the Oerlikon 20mm Gun, needs some paint and weathering!

PT109 11-12-2010 01:05 PM

Hi Larry; you have done and are doing a great job on your Dumas PT-109! My Dumas PT-109 must be any earlier version as it came with crappy, warped, what looked like mahogany for the planking. I used 1/16" plywood instead and it looks great. As I recall, the next step is for the decking. I was stopped there as I wanted to make grooves in the plywood deck to simulate deck board and I don't know just how to do that. I to was concerned about keeping all of the deck details as light as possible as some of your other posters had mentioned/suggested. Also, I would like to have my EP model make a engine sound like the real ones! While in the US Army, I was a pres kennedy's inaugurale and saw a PT boat (marked PT-109) in that parade pass within several feet of meit was awsome!

Keep us posted, Karl, Dumas PT-109 wood version builder but flying R/C electric airplanes at this moment