RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Boating (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/)
-   -   Dumas Donzi Z-65 Power Options (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/8797788-dumas-donzi-z-65-power-options.html)

smirniotisice 05-25-2009 06:18 PM

Dumas Donzi Z-65 Power Options

Hey guys getting to the point in my build when I need to pick out a power setup. I originally bought two johnson 980's. But am looking at Astro 40's. But what speed control would be best for 14.4-18 volts? And has anyone gone brushless with a Donzi Z-65 before. Also I don't know a lot about the electric thing just the basics.
Thanks guys
Matt

wave buster 05-25-2009 08:31 PM

RE: Dumas Donzi Z-65 Power Options

I would go with the astro 40s for power. Not sure which speed control to use. Please let me now what kind of problems did you have with your build? How did you get your cabin wind shield to wrap around and hold in place in step 20? Do you have any pics? thanks steve

smirniotisice 05-25-2009 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used CA+ on the strips and then worked my way around using thin ca. Eventually sanding and filling in the gaps, and side blocks. I used some bondo on the underside because it didn't match the hull perfectly I'm sanding that know. I've gotten a little further since the last photos but just finished the bridge. I'm experamenting with the outriggers and building the tower with carbon fiber rods instead of the dowels. My biggest problem is that the guy I bought the hull from stored the wood inside and warped the hull was 99% straight now but just a little wider on top by about a quarter inch which gave me more trouble then I thought.

JSchneider 05-27-2009 08:30 AM

smirnitisice,

Before you spend a bunch of money on the Astro motors, let me tell you about my Donzi experience. Like you I purchased the Johnson 980 motors and was disappointed with the speed they provided. They have a heck of a lot of torque, but didn't quite get the boat up on plane. Someone on this forum directed me to these http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-MMEV.htmland they work great and aremuch cheaper than the Astro's. The boat jumps right out of the water and runs on plane very nicely. I have mine set up with I think 2" - 4 bladed brass props and two Novak Super Duty Speed Controls. I can control each motor independently with the Robbe F-14 Twin Stick. The speed controls each take 2 - 7.2 volt batteries (so a total of 4 in the boat) run time is maybe 15 minutes. It works great and would recommend this power set up to anyone.

My only complaint is with the speed controls. They are designed for rc car operation which means they have the brake feature. This makes going from forward to reverse a pain. Unfortunatly, Ihaven't found any that can take this kind of voltage without the brake feature for a resonable price.

If you have any other questions let me know.

John

Gravman 06-11-2009 09:21 AM

John I noticed that the shaft on these motors that you use are 5mm.  I have the Dumas 3/16 shafts in my Donzi.  Are yours the same?  How to couple 5mm to 3/16.  There must be something.

Thanks

John

JSchneider 06-12-2009 08:29 AM

Hi John,

You can purchase universal joints with 5mm on one end and 3/16 on the other. I recommend sending Don at Loyalhanna Dockyard an e-mail, he has always been able to get what I was looking for. It may take a couple of weeks to get, but he should be able to help. Check out their webpage.

If you go the mini ev route, don't forget to solder some capacitors on the motors as they do not come preinstalled.

The motor mounts for the Johnson 970's on Harbor Models webpage will work with the Mini EV motors. If I remember correctly you just need to drill the mounting holes out a bit so the motor lines up correctly. That is how I have mine set up.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

John

subsinker 06-12-2009 08:52 PM

Matt,

Brushless motors would certainly be an interesting option. You would have to figure out how to cool them but they would be very efficient. I built a Donzi a few years back and used Astro-Flight 25's. More than enough power and had a nice scalelike hum, sorta like twin diesels.

If I were to build another I would use exactly the same setup.

Just my 2 cents worth anyway.

Pete

smirniotisice 06-17-2009 07:08 PM

Thanks guys im still trying to decide leaning more towards the astros not sure if im going to go with the 25 or 40 but will tell you and show pics when done

Gravman 07-01-2009 06:41 AM

Did anyone use water cooling for thier motors?

JSchneider 07-01-2009 08:26 AM

Gravman,

The mini EV motor's that I use run very well without water cooling so, no I do not use water cooling on the motors. I do not water cool the speed controls either, although I probably should.

Regards,

John

Gravman 07-01-2009 11:30 AM

Thanks John for the info. What Mah rating are your batteries? For 15 minute run times for such a large heavy boat they must have a good capacity. They are NiCads correct?

Grav

smirniotisice 07-01-2009 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New pics the tower and outriggers are carbon fiber rod. I'v decided to put astro 40s in it do you guys have any recommendations on an ESC. I remember seeing a thread on props so I'm going to try to dig that up.

JSchneider 07-02-2009 08:25 AM

Grav,

The run time is roughly 15 minutes, but that isn't at full power as full power is way too fast for this boat. I beleive they are 2400 mah, and I use 4 of them in the boat. The setup seems to work fairly well. Yes, they are Nicad's.

Thanks,

John

420tee 07-20-2009 04:26 PM

Hey Grav, Long time. We seem to think alike. I'm considering the Dumas Donzi and looking for info about the kit. I'm not a fan of either Dumas or plasic boats but it seems to be the only game intown of it's type.Been doing anything with the Lyman lately?

smirniotisice 07-21-2009 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
New pics almost done did my first float the other day to find out where the waterline is for the bottom paint.
just bought speed controls, prop shop props, the steering thing from harbor models, and four 7 cell 5000mah packs.

2003merc 07-21-2009 05:06 PM

Really diggin the color of your hull. I've seen a few in other than white and its different. very nice!

smirniotisice 07-21-2009 07:38 PM

I was inspired by a boat called Fin-nominal by F&S boatworks. It was always in the marina my parents boat is in, in OC Maryland. I just loved the color. I'm also getting anxious to get the bottom paint on I think i'm going to go with the basic black.

2003merc 07-21-2009 11:07 PM

I did mine with burgundy and a grey bottom. Thinking of changing it to black. SeaxForce IX has some great color options. Give them a look see when you got a chance.

themissinglink 07-22-2009 06:54 AM

[img]%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t211/krisjagdeo/Jagdeo70076.jpg%5B/IMG%5D[/img]
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...agdeo70076.jpg

Black Supreme Gelcoat<br type="_moz"/>

smirniotisice 07-28-2009 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice ran the boat and its fast a lot faster then i imagined i am running 28 cells 14 to each astro 40 and prop shop 4 blades. When I'm give it power it starts to skip across the surface.
I havent given it full power yet it runs on plane at around 1/4 power. Do you guys think I need to move some weight forward? and hears some new pics.

bvanter5 08-10-2009 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys I havn't posted in a while, but I saw you guys building my fav boat. i have tons of pics, and also detail pics of the actual boat. Let me know if you need anything.

bvanter5 08-10-2009 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gravman, Here are some pics on my home made water cooling.

bvanter5 08-10-2009 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: smirniotisice

New pics the tower and outriggers are carbon fiber rod. I'v decided to put astro 40s in it do you guys have any recommendations on an ESC. I remember seeing a thread on props so I'm going to try to dig that up.
What did you use to bond the carbon fiber rod? Not a bad idea...been thinking about doing it.

smirniotisice 08-11-2009 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just used CA to bond it but i used CF tubing and put a piece of CF rod inside and then drilled a hole in the CF tube where I was going to insert it. It took some time but looks good. The ladders took the longest. And where did you guys find the dumas water pickups I cant find them in stock anywhere had to make my own.

smirniotisice 08-15-2009 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
new pic