need advice >

need advice

Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

need advice

Old 09-29-2010, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice

Need advice on gyro's. I would like a gyro controller for the trim of my dumas akula. At the moment it is a dynamic diver,( front planes fixed at a down angle, rear's operating via servo) What I would like to do is power the front dive planes, controled by servo and my thumb and have the rear set controled via a servo and gyro I think they are called APC?

What can you recommend? Has anyone tried the cheap ones for the RC choppers?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:20 AM

Default RE: need advice

The Chopper ones can work but you will have to remove the headlocking feature or tune it down and run it on the verticle axis ,there has been a few Caps that have done this with some sucsses.The Peizio gyro sensor is very sensative used in all of them.
Get those front dive plains working and you will see a much better performance and deepth control.
Some of the made for subs levelers I have found gave alot of glitches so much that the servo attached to it burned out others did just fine so check around before you buy.

dave
Old 09-29-2010, 10:16 AM

First, forget about using an aircraft type gyro. These are rate of change devices, not angle correcting. They will maintain any angle you want but not necessarily level. As far as which automatic leveler to use, I personally use the UPC-1 from Mikes Subworks. There are a few others available.

Your idea of using an APC on the stern planes and manually controlling the bow planes is the best way to go but even without using the bow planes you can still operate very well. Bow planes are great for maintaining perfect periscope depth but, in the overall scheme of things, they're not nearly as important as the stern planes. That said, all of my boats DO use bow planes on manual and stern planes on automatic (except when I have to prove that my boats work very well without bow planes).

Skip Asay
Old 09-29-2010, 07:32 PM

I like to actualy drive my subs not have an electronic assistant ,its more exiting and keeps one sharp but thats my opinion.

Dave