Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Submarines
 need trimming material advice ?? >

need trimming material advice ??

Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

need trimming material advice ??

Old 10-01-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need trimming material advice ??

Any expert advice on effectiveness, advantage & disadvantage on trimming material for my mini Vll, 1) Wood (dense wood) 2) Plastic foam ( packing foam) 3) Great stuff foam spray ( from Dow) or whatever is better
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50208.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1509649  
Old 10-01-2010, 09:27 PM

Default RE: need trimming material advice ??

I use now for years closed cell marine foam its available in body surfing boards and if you go to garage sails you can get them for penneis on the dallar,usualy it fairly expensive but its the best stuff you can use,its strong easy to cut and can be glued in place with Goop or silicone adhiesive.Comes in blue ,pink and black so far.

Just be sure you use a foam that is closed cell if not it will soak up water and change the boyancy of the sub not good.The other materials like wood and some pray foams do the same thing soak up water.

For your sub you will not need much it takes very little to get alot of boyancy,use rubber bands at least 3 at both ends and the center and small amounts of foam to find the right plascing and amounts,this is the bmost critical part of the subs build as ballancing is very important and can not be more fun  as it is a art to do it right. 

Dave
Old 10-01-2010, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since Revell's 1/72 Type VII was to expensive for me and now currently out of production I've also thought about converting their 1/125 Type VII U99 to RC too. I'll be watching this thread closely.

Dynamic or static diver?

What drive system will you be using and how do you plan to move the rudders and stern planes ( or will you just be using the bow planes)
Old 10-02-2010, 12:38 AM

If instead of trying to find closed cell foam locally, what do you think is better, wood with surface glue cover or white packing foam with the same cover ?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:40 AM

deleted
Old 10-03-2010, 12:03 PM

Das U-boot 96 ist fertig

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80662.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1510241  
Old 10-03-2010, 12:10 PM

deleted
Old 10-03-2010, 01:20 PM

Try to get the right stuff,closed cell foam is readily available,its used alot in packaging AC units,and TVs excetra its that strong.

Dave
Old 10-04-2010, 08:31 AM

Pl 09,
Have you seen these photos of Dragon's 1/350 scale Ohio class SSBN converted to a RC static diver.
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...s&fr=slv1-msgr

Diving cell
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...s&fr=slv1-msgr
Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 AM

If instead of trying to find closed cell foam locally, what do you think is better, wood with surface glue cover or white packing foam with the same cover ? <span class="info"></span>

I would not use any of those even if closed cell foam was not available ,there is a board foam insulation but I think it is no longer readily available,maybe automotive insulation foam might work ,the sparay on marine foam is good to but it expands so much that it can damage your sub ,be very care full with it.

interesting stuff the germans make I have always looked to them for edeas and insperation.We need to produce more subs like thers with our own engineering.

Dave
Old 10-05-2010, 12:28 PM

This is what I use. Easy to cut and shape and glues well with epoxy.
[link]http://insulation.owenscorning.com/homeowners/insulation-products/insulpink.aspx[/link]
Old 10-06-2010, 10:25 AM

Yes I have also used the blue vertion but still like the marine closed cell foam better ,its stronger and made for water floataion and it comes in 4 inch thick slabs or more if needed so that large voids and complex fitting can be done with ease.
I would not recomend Epoxing any foamin place ,if it needs to come out or be adjusted it will break apart and an ugly foam and epoxy lump left on the hull making it dificult to remove and instal new things.I have always used 100% clear silicone,it is easy to remove completly its cheaper and holds the foam in place.

Dave
Old 10-06-2010, 08:07 PM

I emailed a life vest factory to try and buy scraps but no reply.
Where have you found the blue closed cell marine foam?
It is a much better foam to use for hullballast because it forms curved surfaces easier.
I sold hot tub insulating covers made out of marine foam and it would last for many years and would never absorb moisture.
The only thing that would happen was that cats would claw it to death.
Regards,
John
Old 10-07-2010, 11:08 AM

Yes it is the best.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:12 PM

I have excellent luck with the insulaton foam from home depot. Comes in diffrent thicknesses and is about 20 dollars for a 4' x 8' sheet. It is water proof and glues easy. As for weight, i use fishing sinkers, avail in all shapes and sizes and weights, and pinewood derby car weights.

Tim
Old 10-08-2010, 08:48 PM

I'm bringing out a new kit with lead shot, strips of lead sheet, epoxy resin, and pink foam so you don't need to hunt around like this. pm me for details
Old 10-08-2010, 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: AQUASUB

I use now for years closed cell marine foam its available in body surfing boards and if you go to garage sails you can get them for pennies on the dollar, usually it fairly expensive but its the best stuff you can use, its strong easy to cut and can be glued in place with Goop or silicone adhesive. Comes in blue ,pink and black so far.

Just be sure you use a foam that is closed cell if not it will soak up water and change the buoyancy of the sub not good. The other materials like wood and some spray foams do the same thing soak up water.

For your sub you will not need much it takes very little to get a lot of buoyancy, use rubber bands, at least 3, at both ends and the center, and small amounts of foam to find the right placing and amounts. This is the most critical part of the subs build as balancing is very important and can not be more fun as it is an art to do it right.

Dave
I just love reading your posts. It reminds me of a guy in England who wrote in the old Wiltshire language of Worzel. He had a column in the local paper and was much admired by the old school.

It would go something like this. "Ow bist? Thee'ze lookin' awlrite. Ow'z thu missus?. Watz thu little unz doin? Ad any zydur lately?" An I be taykin thu pizz two!

People still talk like this in Wiltshire. I think it's wonderful.

But, if you edit the post, all the spelling mistakes come up with little red lines under them. All you have you do is click on the underlined word and a list of potentially correct words appears. I just did that (see above) and it took about 30 seconds. Of course, it doesn't correct punctuation, but if you follow the rule of placing the period or comma immediately after the last word, then leave a space before starting the new sentence, you should be fine. Its quite easy really and it would make your posts look much more authoritative.