Walmart Submarine = Cool !

Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Walmart Submarine = Cool !

Old 01-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Taxidriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walmart Submarine = Cool !

Wow 47 pages! Time for a new thread to make it more manageable to read: Walmart Submarine = Cool ! Part II. Please post new replies on this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5191189/tm.htm
Old 01-01-2007, 04:19 PM
THE UNDERTAKER

hi there mocars.undertaker here.remember me in the uk recieved motorworks us chicago from you not long back. sub worked great in trials in bath.just done the ariel mod on transmiter.yet to do the rest.well chuffed with the sub.thinking of converting it in to Russian AKULA fast attack sub.any thoughts on this from you or anyone reading this?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:42 AM
sirengland

Gufstream,
I am new to RCU, being intriqued by the various posts regarding the mods for the wally world subs. My son has a Uss connecticut and we are mission his front fins. We can I find replacements or would I have to mod my own? We are very interested in the upgrades and will apply to his Connecticut. Why do I not see other using the Connecticut for a mod? Because of its frequancy? Thanks for the excellant help and time.
Sir England
Old 01-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you can easily manufacture new fins by cutting styrene sheets into the correct shape and sanding them.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:31 PM
CrunchyFrog

I've had two connecticuts I gutted for parts. Could you email your address?

If you'll click "CrunchyFrog" on the left here...when you go to my profile, left of the camera there's an "email" icon.

I think I have the fins around the house. I'd be glad to send them.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:01 PM
sirengland

Saildog,
I am a new to this hobby and very handy with my hands. I have read all the threads including subsII. With the help of crunchy frog , I am almost ready to begin our mod with a sea wolf however, can I get the information about this prop? Where did you find it, name and part number? I live in the Uk and will be in the states in March. Your help has been most helpful on the site. I have e-mailed you also asking for some advise. Wayne
Old 01-08-2007, 01:35 PM
CrunchyFrog

If I may (since I haven't seen Saildog post in a while), at least half the time when I hear of a prop mod, someone's not buying a new prop, but just wanting to move the prop to a different location--where it gets better water flow as input, and can consequently push better against the water. I've never bought a new prop, personally--but have seen my Chicago's power double--when I just extended the prop shaft to expose the prop outside the prop cage. I think Motorworks designs the boats with the prop inside a sturdy prop cage just so nobody will bang up their prop while playing with the sub, then blame Wal-Mart en masse for a bad design. The prop cage is not great for the water feed the prop needs; I think anyone who's prop modded would agree: Moving it outside is a big improvement!

Of course buying an authentic-looking prop is nice for the coolness factor.

If it's only power you're wanting, you may never have to actually buy a prop besides the stock one. Personally, I'd be afraid of putting too much power in my boat. Single-screw boats, even the full-scale boats, tend to have problems with torque roll. As a sailor told me about his early nuke:

"The trailing edges of the rudders are permanently offset one degree in opposite directions -- the upper rudder one degree to port; the lower rudder one degree to starboard -- to overcome the tendency of the ship to roll due to propeller torque. The trailing edges of the stern planes are also permanently offset -- the starboard stern plane .8 degrees up; the port stern plane .8 degrees down -- to complete the counteraction against propeller torque."

PS. Sirengland, my e-mail said his boat's conning tower had been offset. But I think now that may have been for a sister ship of the class.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:22 PM
MINICooperS

Okay mates, here goes!
Just returned from Walmart with my new $11.00 Motorworks U.S.S. Seawolf. Seems they are closing them out and I just couldn't resist a bargain.
Not too sure what I've got here. Any clues? Should I buy more?
Old 02-04-2007, 12:11 AM
CrunchyFrog

Sounds like you're right, a closeout. Bye bye Seawolf/Connecticut, they're rolling out the new Gator / Shark, for $20 (as was Seawolf when it was the current sub model). The new one has a working rudder.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:53 PM
MINICooperS

Thanks for the heads-up.
This is my first sub and what I was really shopping for was another Havoc Heli/PiccoZ to add to my collection.
Seems they have a hard time keeping them in stock out here especially the red and yellow bands.
Cheers!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:35 AM
CrunchyFrog

Well, I suppose congrats on your first sub.

I've been thinking about helicopters, but subs are too much a challenge to let go just yet

By the way...these Wally subs fill up in places they're not supposed to if they don't get their internals sealed. The ideal thing to do, new out-of-box, is seal all those pipe fittings where they join onto motor casings, black box, power switch; some kinds of silicone are good for that (I just buy Home Depot silicone caulking, the kind for bathrooms). Also, I put silicone grease in that little chamber at the end of each motor casing toward the propellers.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:11 PM
International_alf

sirnumskull: I had the same problem you know water in the motors it is a pity apaert from the preassur of the water pressing the silicon in then following it its a great idea - maybe they should make it easer for people to mantain, but at the price you cant complain too much.

Keep up the good ideas folks
Old 03-13-2007, 12:08 AM
iamtheculprit

hmn, last post is on my sister's birthday, lol.

Anyways I am new to this thread but i have had a USS dallas for some time now, and i had de-commissioned it for a long time. but yesterday i decided to re-commission the old girl after seeing the newest versions at walmart and remembering how fun it was. I got it running well yesterday, found some 2300 NiMH batteries, and added styro to compensate. Today i added more styro and moved the prop to the outside, added some boyant balsawood horizontal stabilizers (i sealed them with epoxy) and added some clear plastic "trim tabs to compensate for the torque roll of the engine, then added a tab on the rudder to compensate for the drag added by the fin made to compensate for he torque. (sounds confusing, but i have pics.) aside from my own custom antenna routing and a little american flag, the trim tabs are the only added weight, and i come to find they are actually boyant as well. well, after all that, all the styrofoam i could cram in the hull still won't stop it from sinking, albeit slowly. i need it to float, and i don't want to add anything to the outside and spoil the look (and hydrodynamics) of the sub. What should i do?
Also i am looking to accuire a replacement set of weights and a pair of the bow fins, in black if possible, but the ones from the chicago will work also, i'm not picky.
thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83351.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	641242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13209.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	641243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb74202.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	641244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75295.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	641245  
Old 07-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Orgoth225

Can you use a different remote control on these subs.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:33 PM
syrjr

Hey, your tail rudder and planes look great. Since your prop is outside, you can fill the openings in the tail and use styro there for boyancy. Would look more like the real thing too. Do you need to lift the nose also?
I've been watching this site for some time. Got a question for some of those eletronics gurus out there. Why is it that with the antenna under water a $20.00 toy out performs a $100.00 plus NIKKO sea wolf sub ? Would the system in my blade helicopter (2.4GHz DSM technology) work thru water? I'v collected I think 14 of these subs to play with when I retire. 6 are Dallas class. I've only used one.
Ron
Old 07-22-2007, 10:30 PM
GreenAce92

Hi,

I have had both 2nd and 3rd generation subs. I have been quite pleased with both although dissapointed with the dive system setup for the uss shark/gator. I was wondering if there was a way to sodder something on the Rx board and allow it to just dive. Because i was planning on buying one of the uss gator/shark and use its components to build a scratchbuilt static sub. Im still working out the diving system but it will most likely run a wet motor but anyways yeah i will make some plans, test a wtc and some other electrical parts then gut the wally sub and then build it. If there is no way to change the way it dives then i guess thats ok.

thanks.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:55 AM
normanski

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello People,

I thought Taxi-driver has decided to open the 'RE:Walmart Submarine = Cool ! Part II' thread to replace this one, as this one has become way too big!!

Normanski
Old 07-23-2007, 12:53 PM
jjp735i

Well it looks like my wally sub bit the dust. Seawolf. I just can't get any distance on the remote. If I hold right on the sub it works. I've done both the antenna mods but nothing. I think water got into the control board of the sub. Of course I can't find any of the new ones here in PA. Going to start looking on ebay, they just want to much. It's been a good run with the Seawolf. Unless someone comes up with a way to convert the electronic with aftermarket stuff, hint hinit.

Enjoy.

jjp
Old 08-17-2008, 09:19 AM
elifly

witch section did you find it?[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 06-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Remote

I know this is a old post, but does anybody know if Walmart still sells this sub? Thought I'd ask before hitting all the Walmarts in town. Thanks....
Old 06-11-2010, 08:39 AM
junglelord

They do sell on ebay all the time...not sure about WM, but go to the bay, you can get both generations for a good deal.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Remote

Checked ebay. The subs must have gone up in price. The cheapest I found was like $65 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/USS-Dallas-RC-Mo...item3f0086b18d
Old 06-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I searched the Walmart site for submarine, and radio control. No subs came up. They carry a whole lot more on the web than at the store.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:26 PM
skitt

I found them also on a couple places like Raidetech....etc.

http://www.bananahobby.com/rc-waterc...-rc-boats.html

Skitt